Underworld - Blood Wars - It's January, What Do You Expect?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Underworld - Blood Wars - It's January, What Do You Expect?

Underworld: Blood Wars is the first Underworld movie with which I did not have fun.

Read Full Article

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
The premise and the vibe of the first one were fun, like a slightly darker Blade. But I could never really buy Kate in the role of aloof but sexy supernatural assassin after that. The first flick, sure, but I was done learning about her after that. I wanted to see other places, I wanted there to be more, powerful/interesting characters and stories.

No, let me amend that, I just don't like aloof but sexy supernatural assassins.

I'm aware I'm not a fan of this particular franchise, but I do like werewolves and vampires, so I do like to keep up on stuff like this. Thanks for the review!

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I liked the first two movies (Bill Nighy was fantastic).

Everything after that was crap.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Bummer, man.

I love this series because of how fantastically stupid they are and they are just the right amount of cheese.

I'll probably still watch it at some point in time when it's on Netflix or something. I mean, it's kinda too late for me now since I've seen all of them.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Even diehard fans of the franchise are going to struggle to find much to like about Underworld: Blood Wars. "

Well that sucks!!!
Good job making vampire vs werewolf war/action boring!!! :(

Surprised they got Beckinsale for it... :\

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Pretty much my response to the film, sadly. My buddy and I have always watched them for the 'so bad they're fun' vibe, but this one was just so bad it was... bad. We ended up just having a go at the movie and laughing about all the dumb shit going on. Especially how there were TWO FUCKING CLIMAXES to the film - it literally ended and then went on for another 30 minutes to finish again, like, what. Just... such a hot mess of a movie.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This is the first one I've seen. I thought it was okay. Seemed like all it did was explain the previous movies just so it could quickly get to its conclusions.

I probably should've seen the previous movies. But this franchise was something I was avoiding because it looked like a Matrix clone. And I don't care for the Matrix.

I'm pretty certain the first From Dusk Till Dawn is still my favorite Vampire Movie.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
not surprising.
after so many movies, it had to go down hill. i will watch it eventually on dvd, when its really cheap. which i am sure will happen very quickly, since i have seen all 4 of them. part 1 and 2 were still fun to watch, part 3 was alright, but part 4 was already going down hill, but i still could watch it. maybe i just watch it again and see if i can recall anything afterwards.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I've enjoyed these films up through "Rise of the Lycans". Awakening was meh. Bad budget, shitty premise, effects were sketchy at best. I'll let you know after I see it, as this series has been universally panned by most critics. If it's an improvement over "Awakening" then there is enjoyment to be had.

ADDENDUM: Seen it, enjoyed it. The FX were a much needed improvement over the last movie, and on a tighter budget. I'd put them almost on par with Evolution. There is some character development hinted at in the last movie, fully expressed here. A few memorable scenes, an as yet unknown coven with OP abilities (yes that's why Kate looks like she does). It wraps a big plothole but keeps some open for another film. It's an Underworld movie and not a terrible one. If you're into em, you've already seen it. If you're not, this likely won't change your mind.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
This franchise ranks up there with Transformers in my "They're still making these?" book. I'm pretty sure they only exist so that Kate can have a steady paycheck.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
These films were one of the first signs that vampires and werewolves were going to get abused beyond redemption. I await the day a film can beat Interview with a Vampire. Alas, it may never come.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
These films were one of the first signs that vampires and werewolves were going to get abused beyond redemption. I await the day a film can beat Interview with a Vampire. Alas, it may never come.
A great film, to be sure. Did you like 30 Days of Night? Or Let The Right One In?

I loved What We Do In The Shadows, but it's a comedy.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
the December King said:
A great film, to be sure. Did you like 28 Days of Night? Or Let The Right One In?

Ah yep, the first two I have seen and indeed were pretty good. Haven't seen the remake of Let the right one in yet, as I'm pretty sure it's a scene-for-scene adaptation for English speaking audiences. Both are pretty confined stories and are difficult to compare to the sweeping epic journey feel of Interview with a Vampire. The third title has evaded me so far, heard little about it other than something to do with Burton and Depp maybe? I think it must have come out during a busy release period or as I was distracted by a low-flying shrew.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
the December King said:
A great film, to be sure. Did you like 28 Days of Night? Or Let The Right One In?

Ah yep, the first two I have seen and indeed were pretty good. Haven't seen the remake of Let the right one in yet, as I'm pretty sure it's a scene-for-scene adaptation for English speaking audiences. Both are pretty confined stories and are difficult to compare to the sweeping epic journey feel of Interview with a Vampire. The third title has evaded me so far, heard little about it other than something to do with Burton and Depp maybe? I think it must have come out during a busy release period or as I was distracted by a low-flying shrew.
Oh yeah, that was Dark Shadows, which was also a horror/comedy, which was also about supernatural entities... I believe Chloe Mortenz is in it, as well as Let Me In.

But What We Do In The Shadows is a New Zealand mockumentary horror comedy film. Probably not in the league of these flicks, really. I just adored it.

Granted, Interview With The Vampire was epic in scope, and is a personal favorite of mine.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
the December King said:
Oh yeah, that was Dark Shadows, which was also a horror/comedy, which was also about supernatural entities... I believe Chloe Mortenz is in it, as well as Let Me In.

But What We Do In The Shadows is a New Zealand mockumentary horror comedy film. Probably not in the league of these flicks, really. I just adored it.

Granted, Interview With The Vampire was epic in scope, and is a personal favorite of mine.
That's the one I thought it was, damn confusing names! But yeah, the mockumentary idea sounds far superior and Kiwi humour so far has been pretty charming in film. I shall have to check that one out for next movie binge marathon. Thanks for the recommendation! ;)