The Uncharted Movie Now Has a Completed Script

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Uncharted Movie Now Has a Completed Script

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1372/1372892.jpg

We're one step closer to the Uncharted movie.

It was over half a decade ago that we first heard rumblings that an those were the days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/uncharted]. Then, we heard very little, and the project changed so many hands that we wondered if it would ever get done.

Well, it's back in the public consciousness.

Screenwriter on Instagram [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/joe+carnahan] that he has completed work on a screenplay for Uncharted - at least, a draft of it. He wrote:

Done and Dusted. Now the REAL work begins. If there's a more monstrously cool action script in Hollywood right now, I wanna read it, 'cuz this thing is a BEAST.

It's not surprising to hear an artist hype up his work, but it's also very easy to be skeptical about the quality of screenplay that comes from adapting a video game. After all, the "best" ones have mostly just been passable entertainment.

Regardless, it's the next step in finally getting the project off the ground. At present, Shawn Levy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/shawn+levy] is attached to direct, and filming is supposed to begin early this year. Will it happen? And, maybe more importantly: Do we even want it to?

[gallery=6765]

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
As long as they aren't trying to directly adapt a game plot, and simply come up with a new one and importing the cast from the games, I think it'll be a modernized Indiana Jones. If any video game movie is going to be good, it'll probably be this one. That said someone managed to fuck up an Assassin's Creed movie in terrible ways (who likes the present day stuff) so I'll try to reserve my enthusiasm.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
will the industry not learn? no video game movie has ever been better than ok. this is going to suck. and the thing is this is hard to make suck. but they will make it suck. ill wage 10$ on it

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
sagitel said:
will the industry not learn? no video game movie has ever been better than ok. this is going to suck. and the thing is this is hard to make suck. but they will make it suck. ill wage 10$ on it
If you get the proper talent on any movie, it can be good. Remember when comic book movies sucked? Then they got directors like Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan to make them. If any of the Uncharted games were made to movies with the exact game script, they would all be OK at best, there's some pretty bad writing across the series (the Uncharted 3 plot is completely nonsensical). I'm always hopeful a video game movie (or any movie) will be good. I hope the script for an Uncharted movie can finally give us a truly great adventure with the characters that Naughty Dog was never able to give us.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
I hope the script for an Uncharted movie can finally give us a truly great adventure with the characters that Naughty Dog was never able to give us.
It's always good to dream, I suppose.

OT: Let's hope this is one of the many scripts in Hollywood that gets shelved. The novelty of the videogame movie has worn off since games went from pixel art to near photo-realistic. Games like Uncharted especially don't need movie adaptations, since it's doing everything a movie in its genre already does, except longer and more interactive. Added to that they'll never find actors who'll properly resemble the characters.

If this movie ends up even decent I'll amputate my legs.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marter said:
It's not surprising to hear an artist hype up his work, but it's also very easy to be skeptical about the quality of screenplay that comes from adapting a video game. After all, the "best" ones have mostly just been passable entertainment.
Yeah yeah, we all know you're counting down the days to when Resident Evil: The Final Chapter releases. ;p

sagitel said:
will the industry not learn? no video game movie has ever been better than ok.
If the superhero craze has taught us anything, it's that there's a lot of money to be made in adapting material through movies that are predominantly "okay."

Casual Shinji said:
No Shinji, no! Your avatar doesn't have any arms, you can't afford to lose your legs as well!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I always enjoy seeing video game movie adaptions if not for anything else to see it fail. Doubly so because it's Sony.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Don't do it you fools!

You have so much left to live for! So much better things to be doing!

Don't do it!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zhukov said:
Don't do it you fools!

You have so much left to live for! So much better things to be doing!

Don't do it!
I was just reading the OP and read about the appearent Screenwriter of this movie, Joe Carnahan, I went to check his filmography and whoa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Carnahan#Filmography

A-Team 2010?

Smokin Aces?

The Fourth Kind?

What an utterly mediocre track record.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
No Shinji, no! Your avatar doesn't have any arms, you can't afford to lose your legs as well!
I can roll with the best of them.

And I mean, come on, this movie? Decent? HA!!!

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
sagitel said:
Well, I guess I and my sister are destined to be the only people who really like the latest Videogame movies.

Being Warcraft and Assassin's Creed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Is it really that hard to turn Uncharted of all things into a movie? The developers did most of the work for them.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The games are basically playable popcorn flicks. They even follow a very predictable formula (choose a mystical artifact, a mystical location, drum up some clues to get to said location, have a forgettable villain that wants the same thing, blow everything up and make witty jokes along the way).

If any game could translate smoothly into a movie, it's this one. I look forward to seeing in what creative ways the studio manages to fuck it up.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm down to clown with Wahlberg playing a passive-aggressive Drake.

"Oh hey Sully, didn't see you there. Say hi to your mother for me okay?"

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
While I enjoy the two films that came from Joe Carnahan(The A-Team and The Grey) and I've heard some good things about him from others, I'm still not raising my expectations that this will be any good.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Eclipse Dragon said:
The games are basically playable popcorn flicks. They even follow a very predictable formula (choose a mystical artifact, a mystical location, drum up some clues to get to said location, have a forgettable villain that wants the same thing, blow everything up and make witty jokes along the way).

If any game could translate smoothly into a movie, it's this one. I look forward to seeing in what creative ways the studio manages to fuck it up.
Since that formula is basically "Indiana Jones", it's not so much translating it into a movie, it's translating it FROM a movie TO a game and then BACK to a movie again.

And we all know how well that sort of translation goes. (AKA "And they all fit well with all kinds of translations under Knov.")