What Nintendo Needs to Get Right for the Switch to Succeed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
What Nintendo Needs to Get Right for the Switch to Succeed

The Switch could make or break Nintendo's place in the console market. Here, we look at a few ways it can be successful ahead of tonight's Switch Presentation.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Also:
It's been over 20 years since some of your biggest, most beloved, games have been released.

The kids of the NES/SNES are now the adults with bank accounts.

Make a fully realized HD remake (SEE Klonoa for the Wii vs Klonoa for the PS1) of some of your classic games and the system will FLY OFF THE FUCKING SHELF...

I'd by the Switch, DAY-ONE, if Super Metriod was released in a proper HD remake (like the RE games got for the Gamecube).

Hell, and I don't even own a WiiU.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Tanis said:
Make a fully realized HD remake (SEE Klonoa for the Wii vs Klonoa for the PS1) of some of your classic games and the system will FLY OFF THE FUCKING SHELF...
Now lets not get ahead of ourselves, i dont doubt it would get you to buy the system but not everybody is old enough to even know that game existed, yet alone even remember it.

And besides, all Nintendo would need to do is have Capcom put MHXX on it to achieve the same effect.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
It's the battery life that will determine the Switch's success. If it is bad it will just be an ordinary stationary console with a very awkward controller.

I am doubtful of the Switch. Nintendo makes games with kids in mind(hence why their games tend to be colorful and joyful affairs) and kids nowadays play on smartphones or pads. Nintendo making a console like machine whose value added feature is a touchscreen and being able to play on the go indicates a thinking of "well, it's working with all the smartphones kids are into nowadays".

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tanis said:
In all seriousness I doubt that would be the case.

It's not that I don't want (really really want) full HD re-releases of Metroid Prime, Mario 64, Super Metroid, Starfox/Starfox 64 and so on. The problem is that Nintendo think they know better than everyone else, they simply cannot resist shoe-horning new crap into these releases.

Starfox 0 was a prime example of that. Anything they bring out will have some kind of bizarre touch screen controls pushed in, or it will need you to take the tablet outside and show it the sun or it will be re-voiced with new dialogue that changes the characters fundamentally.

It's Nintendo, they literally cannot do anything right at the moment.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Yeah...if anyone thinks Nintendo will actually do any of those suggestions, then I have some very magic beans to sell you.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The 3rd party support has to be made of adamantium at this point. Unless they get some of the modern games (2016ish) running like melted butter, the console will fail (outside of Japan, which will be it's biggest market in this case)

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Needs to be light, cheap, powerful, and have a long battery life. Four things, each of which works against the others...

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
That's pretty bad. Because I can't see Nintendo doing any of these things.