No Streetpass or Miiverse for Nintendo Switch

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Streetpass or Miiverse for Nintendo Switch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357093.jpg
Nintendo is shying away from the two most social features of the Wii U and 3DS.

While Nintendo considers the Nintendo Switch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nintendo%20switch?os=%20nintendo%20switch] a sort of successor to both the Wii U and 3DS, there are two features from those devices that won't be making their way to the Switch. They are Miiverse, Nintendo's "social network" app that extended across both systems, and StreetPass, a 3DS exclusive application that allowed players to exchange data with other nearby players without even opening up the device.

David Young, Nintendo of America's assistant manager of public relations told GamesBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-switch-wont-have-miiverse-or-streetpass/] says that the lack of StreetPass plays into the idea of the Switch as a home console, not a portable system. The lack of Miiverse is due to Nintendo switching to "other non-Nintendo platforms" for the Switch's social media functions, presumably established networks such as Facebook or LINE.

I doubt too many will shed a tear for Miiverse, but StreetPass was easily one of the coolest features of the 3DS. It was really fun going to a big event or theme park and "collecting" a bunch of people.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-switch-wont-have-miiverse-or-streetpass/]

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
At first I was really excited about the Switch, but the more I read the more disappointed I become. I never cared much about StreetPass or Miiverse, but the Switch is losing so many functionalities of the 3DS and WiiU. What the fucks is Nintendo thinking here?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
At first I was really excited about the Switch, but the more I read the more disappointed I become. I never cared much about StreetPass or Miiverse, but the Switch is losing so many functionalities of the 3DS and WiiU. What the fucks is Nintendo thinking here?
By getting rid of stuff that most folk might not use/care for and changing to systems that the common user might already have/use like Facebook, I can see exactly what they're thinking. Miiverse is so specific, so firmly placed in one or two systems that it simply wouldn't be super popular. With the new share button on the Switch, I imagine being to upload those things shared to Facebook or something like it would be an idea a LOT more people would be into

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
David Young, Nintendo of America's assistant manager of public relations told GamesBeat says that the lack of StreetPass plays into the idea of the Switch as a home console,
Ok this confuses me. Wasn't the Switch supposed to by a hybrid of home and portable console? I thought that was the whole pitch.

Also I have to roll my eyes every time I read a news story about a company announcing features their product WON'T have.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"the Switch as a home console"
Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.... Man, thanks for the good laugh!

This is anything but a home console. It's a portable. With shit battery life and like 2 launch games, but still. It has a SoC for tablets at it's heart and plays at a tablet level of 720p (although my tablet is 1440p I'm pretty sure).

Cool idea though, that you can easily cast the tablet's games to your PC, kinda like Android.......

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
...but StreetPass was easily one of the coolest features of the 3DS. It was really fun going to a big event or theme park and "collecting" a bunch of people.
Uhhh, you don't need a streetpass or a 3DS for that, Steve. Bruh, I can do that with just a well-sized sack and a claw hammer. It's so much cheaper.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
BiH-Kira said:
What are they thinking?

Probably:

"So long as it has Zelda, MArio, Pokemon and the promise of a metroid game, people will buy whatever shite we package and shove under their noses."

Be nice if the world proved them wrong a few times.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
I'm not really sad about this. The Miiverse wasn't exactly the greatest feature ever, and the StreetPass thing, while cool when it appeared, was almost always a gimmicky tacked-on 'feature' in most games and I don't think any will suffer for its loss.

The PS4's instant-uploading feature however is pretty damn sweet, so hopefully the Switch can pull off something similar to that. While playing Bloodborne, the fact that I could press a button and record the previous boss fight was absolutely wonderful. If I can do that same thing with the Zelda boss fights, I'll be pretty chuffed.

EDIT: That said, if they did include an Uploading system, I'm 100% sure that Nintendo would start ContentID flagging things uploaded through their own system. At least that will be a fun Jimquisition episode.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
David Young, Nintendo of America's assistant manager of public relations told GamesBeat says that the lack of StreetPass plays into the idea of the Switch as a home console,
Ok this confuses me. Wasn't the Switch supposed to by a hybrid of home and portable console? I thought that was the whole pitch.

Also I have to roll my eyes every time I read a news story about a company announcing features their product WON'T have.
No, its not replacing the 3DS.

I have been pretty damn confident about that, and this practically proves it. I will leave a .1% chance Im wrong, but I really really doubt it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:
Canadamus Prime said:

I have been pretty damn confident about that, and this practically proves it. I will leave a .1% chance Im wrong, but I really really doubt it.
I didn't say it was replacing the 3DS. I haven't watched the latest presentations, but I'm pretty sure the initial thing I did read pitched it as a hybrid of home and portable console. Actually I seem to recall there was another article were Nintendo actually had to specify that it was not replacing the 3DS. I could be wrong about that though.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
Saelune said:
Canadamus Prime said:

I didn't say it was replacing the 3DS. I haven't watched the latest presentations, but I'm pretty sure the initial thing I did read pitched it as a hybrid of home and portable console. Actually I seem to recall there was another article were Nintendo actually had to specify that it was not replacing the 3DS. I could be wrong about that though.
ALOT of people keep thinking and saying it is replacing the 3DS.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Saelune said:
Canadamus Prime said:

I'm sure there are, but I'm not one of them.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I admit I didn't use that Miiverse network extensively but if Facebook is the suggested alternative, I won't use it at all. A lot of my friends there are colleagues from work and college friends and somehow I suspect they won't be amused if I spam their feeds with Zelda screenshots and dank Mario memes. Damn you, Nintendo, for making me expose my shameful gaming hobby addiction to the general public!

And the loss of the StreetPass functionality is pretty sad, too. I really enjoyed coming home from a walk and seeing my 3DS blink at me with its green light, informing me I've met another gamer on a metro train home... Once in a billion years or so.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:

Yes its supposed to be a hybrid, but they've also said they're going to focus on marketing it as a console rather than a handheld.

If anything its a console you can take with you rather than just another handheld. Like a gaming laptop.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Saelune said:
Which is kind of a problem Nintendo has had for the last 3 generations.

People thought the Wii would revolutionize motion controls. 2-3 years in most games didn't really use them.

People at first thought the Wii U was an accessory to the Wii.

Now people think the Switch will replace the 3DS.

Nintendo's marketing can't seem to tell people exactly what the hell they're trying to sell.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Saelune said:
Which is kind of a problem Nintendo has had for the last 3 generations.

People thought the Wii would revolutionize motion controls. 2-3 years in most games didn't really use them.

People at first thought the Wii U was an accessory to the Wii.

Now people think the Switch will replace the 3DS.

Nintendo's marketing can't seem to tell people exactly what the hell they're trying to sell.
People also think Mobile Gaming is replacing Handhelds, that Nintendo is going broke, and that Nintendo needs to directly compete with Microsoft and Sony.