Resident Evil - The Final Chapter - Farewell, Resident Evil (Until the Reboot)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Resident Evil - The Final Chapter - Farewell, Resident Evil (Until the Reboot)

The Resident Evil movies come to an end with The Final Chapter ... you know, until the inevitable reboot.

Read Full Article

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I saw the first two I think and stopped there.

Was curious how Wesker was in the films...its like watching some fan film.

The weirdest thing for me of these movies is that they take full sequences and ideas from the games and put them in, sometimes shot for shot even. Watching them do the Wesker/Chris fight from RE5 for example.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Red letter media guys mentioned something to do with this series and the underworld series being pretty much a way of keeping Jovovich and Beckinsale in employment from their director/producer significant others respectively. It seems to check out too. But I don't really blame them with the way Hollywood treats its' casting of females. If you can work around it, why not. Still, rather amusing that both come out in the same month this particular way. Like secret cousins or something. Doesn't make any of the films good though. Serviceable perhaps. :)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I just finished watching Angry Joe's reviews of this movie and then came over here to see what Marter had to say about it. And now, I'm sad to say, I've lost pretty much any desire to see this movie.

I like the RE movies. I know they're dumb, I know they're terrible, I know that fans of RE hate what the movies do to the lore. But they were still fun for my friends and I go to watch them on a Tuesday for five bucks. We'd laugh, we'd point out the stupidity of some characters, we'd complain about the deaths of other characters (still bugs me that they didn't even TRY to save the girl who got pulled into the water in the...what, fourth movie? And I don't like that the black guy died at the end of the fifth), but we had fun with them.
The promise of the previous film--of an epic battle against mobs of zombies with Jill, Leon, Ada, Wesker, Alice, and (I was hoping) Claire, Chris, and other survivors from the previous movies--had me really excited. I figured that they finally accepted the sheer lunacy of these movies, so why no go full terrible fanfiction and just have everyone's favorite RE characters team up and start tallying a body count. That was going to be awesome.

And now, to hear that not only do the NOT do that, but they don't even MENTION these characters--that they are just brushed aside, and that we're left wondering what happened to Ada, Leon, K-Mart, Chris, and Jill--is like a knife in the shoulder. I followed these movies because, as crazy as it sounds, I liked following the story. But to see that they just burned the story to the ground kills any desire I have to go see it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
"Fans only".

Yeah, I will still watch this train wreck of a film series.

It's dumb, it's stupid, it's silly, it makes none of the damn sense, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Kinda bummed that it's just pretty mediocre and ends on a low note for the series, and I will probably wait until it hits Netflix or something. Oh well, nothing that a few beers and a few friends making fun of it can't fix.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
I'll be honest, while I like RE5, the fight scene in there is just as silly.

Still, the difference there is that in the games, there's at least a buildup to this moment that's been going on since the first game. Chris and Wesker have a history, while in the film, they don't. Or if they do, it doesn't mean anything, because they're beaten anyway, and Alice beats Wesker, because she's the only one who gets to accomplish anything in the films.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I like the RE movies. I know they're dumb, I know they're terrible, I know that fans of RE hate what the movies do to the lore.
To be honest, I don't mind that the films have different lore/story to the games. What's more an issue is that even by the standards of their own story/lore, the films have gone off the rails, and have been doing so as early as the third film, while by the fifth, I felt 'intellectually dirty' after having seen it.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
It was better than underworld, Milla wins this round of the "look at my wife movie wars". Definitely possible for another movie, you just can't keep umbrella down

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I, for one, am glad to finally see this blight upon the Resident Evil series is over. As a longtime fan of the games, I have hated each and every one of these movies and their writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson with a passion. The first one was okay as a generic zombie movie, slightly better than the stuff you see on Syfy, but each one got progressively worse after that. Thank God for the CG movies which are actually good and canon to the franchise. I have never paid a dollar to see any of these (mostly through Netflix but a few just hanging around at the theater after a movie I paid for), and that won't change with the this one. With any luck, Anderson will crawl back into whatever hack factory he came out of and never be heard from again. If they do reboot this piffle, they should just make actual Resident Evil movies that follow the stories of the games, because the sooner these Super Mario Bros. tragedies are forgotten, the better.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
have seen angry joes review and as expected, it is bad.
i have watched every one of them and all of them were crap. with maybe some good moments in them but thats about it. i think i will watch it anyway just to see the end of it. still cheaper for me to watch it in the cinema then on dvd. unfortunately my dvd rental store movies are always scratched that most of the time the movies arent working.
at least the CG movies are actually good. much closer to the games but the live action ones, not even close. they always felt like they had a RE paint job.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
drkchmst said:
It was better than underworld, Milla wins this round of the "look at my wife movie wars". Definitely possible for another movie, you just can't keep umbrella down
Also stands to show that her marriage is stronger. Kate divorced Len Wiseman. Milla has 2 kids with Paul and one is now the face of the red queen. Anyway, going to see it today. if it's at minimum better than Blood Wars, I'll enjoy it.

EDIT: Seen it, on a Monday afternoon, only person in the theater. Oddly, that kinda takes away from the experience of being in a theater. Anyway, average-almost good movie. 3 outta 5 stars. This was missing some of the ridiculousness of the last movie that made it such a great popcorn flick. But that's forgivable for the sake of narrative, and this movie answers a lot of questions. If you've seen a certain 3-part movie series about an immortal hunter, this flick ends in much the same way, completing the arc while leaving the series open for spinoff potential. One complaint:
at one point, characters were literally using V.A.T.S., predicting possible combat outcomes similar to Sherlock in the RDJ movies. Alice was doing it intuitively while her opponent had....assistance. This made their fight hard to follow because we don't know when the perspective change happens and the fight actually starts. In the end we find out why Alice has no memory before the first movie and if you guessed it, you're probably right.
This is a PG-13 movie disguised as an R so there are a ton of cuts, almost on a WWZ level of bloodlessness. Not that I showed up only for the violence, but this is a zombie movie after all. I do look forward to seeing Ever in more movies. She was adorable as a conflicted red queen seeking redemption.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hawki said:
and Alice beats Wesker, because she's the only one who gets to accomplish anything in the films.
Well of course that's how it works, considering that Milla and the director are married. :^)

OT: This, like the Transformers movies, is a franchise that makes me say "Wow...they're still making these?" What's funny is that oth this and the Transformers movies have the same explanation for their existence: they somehow pull in more than enough to warrant another one.