Resident Evil 7's First DLC Out Today on PS4

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Resident Evil 7's First DLC Out Today on PS4

New trailer shows off what you can expect from Banned Footage Vol. 1.

The first DLC for Resident Evil 7, announced last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169364-Resident-Evil-7-First-DLC-Later-This-Month#&gid=gallery_6839&pid=1], is now available on PlayStation 4. The first DLC, Banned Footage Vol. 1, is available in the Deluxe Edition and season pass, or can be purchased for $9.99.

Banned Footage Vol. 1 adds two different scenarios and a new game mode. In both scenarios the player will be controlling Clancy - one of the Baker family's earlier victims and the cameraman for Sewer Gators who players controlled in the demos. In the first scenario, Clancy is trapped in a locked bedroom and the player has to figure out how to escape, but you have to do so quietly because "Marguerite Baker won't be happy if she knows he's up and out of bed." In the second scenario, Nightmare, you'll have to craft weapons and ammo in an all-night battle against hordes of enemies with the goal of surviving until morning.

The extra mode is "Ethan Must Die," which Capcom describes as a "tough-as-nails" mode that is "infinitely replayable," but does not support PSVR, and is separate from the main game.

The pack will release on all other platforms on February 21. The second DLC, Banned Footage Vol. 2, will arrive on PS4 on February 14 and all other platforms at the same time as the first pack, on the 21st.

As for the main game, I rather liked it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/17400-Resident-Evil-7-Review#&gid=gallery_6847&pid=1], giving it 4-out-of-5 stars and writing, in part: "Resident Evil 7 is in your face, behind your back, and under your skin horror, and it features the most suspenseful, terrifying setting I've seen since the Spencer Mansion. While I have plenty of complaints - unspectacular boss fights and forgettable puzzles - none of these things detracts from the overall atmospheric horror, enjoyable gameplay, and brilliant antagonists that you love to hate. It's everything the series should have been up to this point, and I honestly would have been satisfied with less."

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I kind of want more story content... Ethans story is done sure, but there are some loose threads I'd like resolved.

I might actually get this DLC once it lands on PC. The game is just fun to play and more is better. The problem about this type of game though is that once you've beaten it once (twice if you do a madhouse run) the tension dissipates somewhat due to knowing where everything is. Curious to see how "Ethan Must Die" works to be "infinitely replayable"

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I don't know... usually I'm not too perturbed by this, but this game just came out. Releasing DLC already feels... slimy. This content sounds like legitimate extras but it seems like this could have been put in at launch.

I was listening to the PC Gamer podcast and one of the hosts was talking about how odd it feels to have this game as a PSVR exclusive for a year. That's like saying X game is only playable on mouse and keyboard for a year with gamepads to come later. Seems a shame that VR is being brought into what is essentially a new console war. Maybe I'm not doing his opinion justice so please don't hate me :p

Bindal

May 14, 2012
JUMBO PALACE said:
I was listening to the PC Gamer podcast and one of the hosts was talking about how odd it feels to have this game as a PSVR exclusive for a year. That's like saying X game is only playable on mouse and keyboard for a year with gamepads to come later. Seems a shame that VR is being brought into what is essentially a new console war. Maybe I'm not doing his opinion justice so please don't hate me :p
That's not a very accurate comparision as PSVR is a form of input method only exclusive to PS4 - the others are still viable and usable on other systems. Or maybe a display option.
So it's more "PC Mouse-and-Keyboard exclusive with KBM patched in later on consoles" (which, to be fair, is almost like how it is already) or "XBone-1080p-resolution-exclusive with PC and PS4 getting it later and stuck at 720p" (okay, that's a bit silly, it would probably more likely that PC is 1080p and both consoles might be at 720p but you get the idea)

Still, it's rather weird to say it that way, I admit that.
And it's pretty shady to release the first paid DLC not even two weeks after the game itself was released (if it was free, I wouldn't say a thing) as this sounds like they deliberately withhold the DLC from the game just to sell it later on its own.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Bindal said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
That's not a very accurate comparision as PSVR is a form of input method only exclusive to PS4 - the others are still viable and usable on other systems. Or maybe a display option.
So it's more "PC Mouse-and-Keyboard exclusive with KBM patched in later on consoles" (which, to be fair, is almost like how it is already) or "XBone-1080p-resolution-exclusive with PC and PS4 getting it later and stuck at 720p" (okay, that's a bit silly, it would probably more likely that PC is 1080p and both consoles might be at 720p but you get the idea)

Still, it's rather weird to say it that way, I admit that.
And it's pretty shady to release the first paid DLC not even two weeks after the game itself was released (if it was free, I wouldn't say a thing) as this sounds like they deliberately withhold the DLC from the game just to sell it later on its own.
I see what you're saying, my main point here is that they're tying one aspect of the game- it's VR mode- to the Playstation, when it would function just as well if not better right now on the Rift or Vive if Sony hadn't paid them to keep the exclusive. Is that really seen as a bonus by consumers? Maybe it's just me being a rational human being, but I don't need to feel vindicated in my purchase of X product by getting something a little sooner than people who bought Y product. I think it just sets an unnecessary precedent for chopping up games and features and distributing it across not only consoles but also accessories now.

Publishers already set up elaborate pre-order bonuses and content. What's next? Choosing what version you want to buy on what platform because this one has VR and this one has surround sound support from Razor and this one has an uncapped FPS etc. etc.

I know that's a little extreme. I'm exaggerating to make a point. I would just like if everything came out at the same time and the gaming industry just stopped with this anti-consumer BS.