Morrowind Expansion Announced for The Elder Scrolls Online

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Morrowind Expansion Announced for The Elder Scrolls Online

ZeniMax Online has announced that a Morrowind expansion will be coming to The Elder Scrolls Online.

ZeniMax Online Studios has announced [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind-returns-to-vvardenfell-june-6/] a massive Morrowind expansion for The Elder Scrolls Online, adding more than 30 hours of gameplay when it arrives on all platforms on June 6.

The expansion takes place 700 years prior to the events of The Elder Scrolls III.

"With the same geographic footprint as The Elder Scrolls III, the island of Vvardenfell includes all key points of interest from the classic game," the announcement reads. "Players will visit legendary locales throughout Vvardenfell, from the docks of Seyda Neen to the volcanic Ashlands, to dense forests of towering mushrooms, all the way through to the wizard enclave of Sadrith Mora."

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind adds the new zone of Vvardenfell along with a new player class, "a mysterious new Trial (12-player dungeon)," and a new 4v4v4 PvP mode. The new class - The Warden - "lets you harness nature-based magic and introduces a devastating new combat ally - the War Bear."

Players who already own The Elder Scrolls Online can scoop it up for $39.99, while new players can get the entire game, which includes Tamriel Unlimited and Morrowind, for $59.99. According to the announcement, new players can jump right into the Morrowind content, bypassing everything else.

"But don't worry, ESO vets," the post reads. "Your high-level characters are welcome. Utilizing the power of last year's One Tamriel update, players of all levels will find appropriately scaled challenges from the moment they step foot in the new zone. So you can drop what you're doing, head to Seyda Neen in Vvardenfell, and start the new content. It's truly a new Chapter for everyone."

Morrowind releases on PC/Mac, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on June 6, 2017.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
June 6th? So they're trying to compete with the new FF14 expansion coming out the same month? With a game that's not that well liked and a half assed "but its Morrowind guys!" vibe? I don't see this ending well for ol' Bethy.

Feb 7, 2016
MatthewTheDark said:
June 6th? So they're trying to compete with the new FF14 expansion coming out the same month? With a game that's not that well liked and a half assed "but its Morrowind guys!" vibe? I don't see this ending well for ol' Bethy.
Silentpony said:
That game is still around?! Didn't WOW just maul it to death like it always does?
Eh, it's sort of living pretty well. FF 14 is still a little higher in player count, but only just on a daily basis. SteamDB says there's about 5,000-7,000 people online daily for ESO, with FF 14 in the lead with just about 5,000-8,500 daily.

We can all agree it wasn't what we wanted it to be or what we hoped it would be, and that it could have been a lot better, but several people I've played it with have enjoyed the game. It objectively doesn't have the community WoW has, but I found it more engaging at least on a combat level, even if it is still shallow.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
DeliveryGodNoah said:
MatthewTheDark said:
Silentpony said:
That game is still around?! Didn't WOW just maul it to death like it always does?
Eh, it's sort of living pretty well. FF 14 is still a little higher in player count, but only just on a daily basis. SteamDB says there's about 5,000-7,000 people online daily for ESO, with FF 14 in the lead with just about 5,000-8,500 daily.

We can all agree it wasn't what we wanted it to be or what we hoped it would be, and that it could have been a lot better, but several people I've played it with have enjoyed the game. It objectively doesn't have the community WoW has, but I found it more engaging at least on a combat level, even if it is still shallow.
Except I'm pretty sure Steam accounts for a large majority of ESO players, while it accounts for a minority of FFXIV players. The Steam version of FFXIV has some odd drawbacks that make it less desirable, and quite a swath of the playerbase is on consoles as well.

Feb 7, 2016
TT Kairen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
MatthewTheDark said:
Silentpony said:

Except I'm pretty sure Steam accounts for a large majority of ESO players, while it accounts for a minority of FFXIV players. The Steam version of FFXIV has some odd drawbacks that make it less desirable, and quite a swath of the playerbase is on consoles as well.
Sure, and the player base probably is less, but ESO doesn't require steam either, and the console version seems to be rather healthy as well. Not massivEly successful, but it has to be well off enough for them to even bother.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
$40!?

Uh...what?

Was super excited until like...really?

ESO itself is $30...there is no way that this DLC is worth more than the entire MMO.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Not going to lie, I'm surprised they're still doing full blown DLC for this game. I own for the PS4, but haven't really jumped into it yet, so I guess when I do get started, I'll have plenty to go through.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Sniper Team 4 said:
Not going to lie, I'm surprised they're still doing full blown DLC for this game. I own for the PS4, but haven't really jumped into it yet, so I guess when I do get started, I'll have plenty to go through.
I'm in the same boat on my PS4.

I was pretty on the fence about this game, and now that they're adding in Morrowind as DLC I'm really tempted to check it out. With both this and Final Fantasy XIV, I'm pretty willing to check both of them out just to see what the dealio is with them.

Could be fun.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This falls on a 3-check month for me. Translation: I'll have money to spend and with luck my in-game palace should be fully furnished with yoga mats, a practice dummy, and hedge maze. So, yea, stuff to do, new class to level. Fun!

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Wow, a Morrowund expansion!! Time to dust off the old ESO copy and...

No, no. Sorry. Can't do it. I'd love to, ZeniMax, i really would, but i *crk* you*crk* brea*chhk*ng up.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Zulnam said:
Wow, a Morrowund expansion!! Time to dust off the old ESO copy and...

No, no. Sorry. Can't do it. I'd love to, ZeniMax, i really would, but i *crk* you*crk* brea*chhk*ng up.
Well we found the hater.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
MatthewTheDark said:
I think you are just being spiteful just to be spiteful. ESO is doing very well, in fact growing more and more especially after One Tamriel, and honestly FF14 isn't its competition, and they could give two shits about it. This also falls in line with their major new content every three months cycle, with the latest two [One Tamriel and Homestead] being free. If I had to guess you played or heard about the game's shortcomings at launch and haven't played/kept up on it since and would just rather try to make yourself look smart and smug.

TT Kairen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
MatthewTheDark said:
Silentpony said:
-Snip-
I am glad you are so sure, do you have any evidence for that fact, in either camp or are you just guessing? Cause I am pretty positive I know which of the two it is, but hey if you can show some evidence for it then be my guest.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Setch Dreskar said:
MatthewTheDark said:
I think you are just being spiteful just to be spiteful. ESO is doing very well, in fact growing more and more especially after One Tamriel, and honestly FF14 isn't its competition, and they could give two shits about it. This also falls in line with their major new content every three months cycle, with the latest two [One Tamriel and Homestead] being free. If I had to guess you played or heard about the game's shortcomings at launch and haven't played/kept up on it since and would just rather try to make yourself look smart and smug.

TT Kairen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
MatthewTheDark said:
Silentpony said:
-Snip-
I am glad you are so sure, do you have any evidence for that fact, in either camp or are you just guessing? Cause I am pretty positive I know which of the two it is, but hey if you can show some evidence for it then be my guest.
Fighting emotion with logic usually doesn't end well. :p

I get the feeling that your head/heart is in the right place, here, but I wouldn't expect too much in the conversation department; especially in regards to positive feedback --> TES:O.

I am not a big fan of the game, at all - it was a huge disappointment for me, in so many ways. But the game gets way too much hate, and I also get the feeling that the hate is largely due to the bandwagon effect.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
I hope the people who play it enjoy it, but I definitely will not be playing it. Especially with the game's current record on how it treats the lore of the Elder Scrolls series. The cinematic shows that this really won't be changing my mind.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Janaschi said:
Setch Dreskar said:
Fighting emotion with logic usually doesn't end well. :p

I get the feeling that your head/heart is in the right place, here, but I wouldn't expect too much in the conversation department; especially in regards to positive feedback --> TES:O.

I am not a big fan of the game, at all - it was a huge disappointment for me, in so many ways. But the game gets way too much hate, and I also get the feeling that the hate is largely due to the bandwagon effect.
You are quite correct, it is a real shame when we did our review, which shockingly gets posted up on here a lot, we originally went in ready to tear the game a new one, mostly because I was in the press beta, as was my boss and oh boy was that a hot mess and then launch was worse. Going back to it for Tamriel unlimited though, holy crap what a difference.

I guess I just get tired of the hate bandwagon from people that assume a game can never change over time, especially an MMO. Given we review them I guess it made it even more that people should know better and hey if they still don't like it now that is one thing, but misconceptions and prejudging things you either haven't played or abandoned long ago is just so painful to see.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
My heart leapt for a second...then I read "The Elder Scrolls Online."

Oh well, good on the folks who like playing the game, I suppose. Wake me when Skywind or OpenMW is finished.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
That trailer really doesn't give off any vibes I'd hope for from a Morrowind expansion. The Sphere Centurions moved like Michael Bay transformers, which is cool but worrying. Though I guess a cinematic trailer doesn't really have much to do with the actual game.

Also, why is the Morag Tong worried about keeping quiet about the assassination? They do legal executions.

I'll have to look it up more when it's released.