Nintendo's President Expects the Switch to Match Sales of the Wii

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo's President Expects the Switch to Match Sales of the Wii

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1379/1379706.jpgNintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima has said he expects the Switch to sell as well as the Wii.

We've heard a lot from Nintendo about the Switch since it was fully shown off last month. That includes won't fail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169269-]. Now Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima has gone on record as saying he expects the Switch to do well at retail - so well, in fact, that he thinks it will match the Wii's sales numbers.

The statement came as part of an Switch's online service [http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLASHD01H4F_R00C17A2000000/]). Kimishima said that he expects the Switch to sell about as well as the Wii, which would require the new console to get up around the 100 million mark in sales. He also said that he felt that way because the Switch offers a unique way of playing games, just as the Wii did.

That's definitely an ambitious goal for the company, as neither the PS3 or the Xbox 360 could manage 100 million consoles sold. The PS4 is leading the current generation with about 55 million units sold in about four years. The Switch hopes to combine the home console sales with handheld sales, but Kimishima made a point to reiterate the 3DS would continue to exist alongside the Switch, meaning that the handheld could cannibalize some sales from the Switch.

The truth is that right now, no one knows how well the Switch will do. It's good to see that Nintendo is confident, but despite its rumored Pokemon game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169439-Nintendo-Weak-Launch-Lineup-Criticisms-Addressed] materializes, who knows what could happen.

One thing we do know: We'll all get a much better idea of how this will shake out once the Switch launches on March 3.

[gallery=6894]

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Dammit Kimishima-san, you called me yesterday and told me you are going to trash your upcoming product in public to tank shares, so I should invest all my savings in short positions!

You lied!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I think it could do alright if it takes off and is supported as a handheld but as a console idt its possible to match the wii.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I think I might have just pissed myself a bit laughing so hard.

They'll be lucky if they reach 60-70 million. 100+ is never happening again. The Wii caught lightning in a bottle.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
You know, I for one am quite cool with the Prez's excitement for his product! I hope it ends up being such a huge success and we get tons of games for it. I'm definitely keen on the idea of having Skyrim ready to play in my backpack among other big games...

...Mainly because this is the second and most probably last shot we'll ever have at what should've been the Vita, and I'm more hopeful because Ninty actually knows how to support its product with fantastic first-party software and not drop the thing a few months after release without even trying.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Not gonna happen. Just as no shooter ever hit Call of Duty's numbers during it's heyday, and no MMO could ever hit WoW's numbers, so too will no console be ever to hit Wii numbers. On top of being an unrealistic expectation, it's not even taking into account why the Wii did so well. It certainly wasn't because it was "a unique way to play games". Having a console that turns into a handheld does nothing for all the people who bought a Wii as part of the social phenomenon that it became. Grandma is not going to pop out her Switch to play Mario on the go.

Nov 28, 2007
Avnger said:
I think I might have just pissed myself a bit laughing so hard.

They'll be lucky if they reach 60-70 million. 100+ is never happening again. The Wii caught lightning in a bottle.
That's basically how I feel. It would be as if Blizzard launched a new MMO and said that they expected to get 12 million subscribers. You don't "expect" to pull a repeat of the best performance in your company's history. That's what leads to stuff like Tomb Raider being deemed a disappointment because it "only" moved 3.4 million units [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations].

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Blitsie said:
...Mainly because this is the second and most probably last shot we'll ever have at what should've been the Vita, and I'm more hopeful because Ninty actually knows how to support its product with fantastic first-party software and not drop the thing a few months after release without even trying.
I'm still sad that the Vita was screwed right from the starting line, let alone when the gates opened and Sony planted a goddamn minefield for the entire race.

Here's to hoping the Switch is everything we dream for.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Blitsie said:
I'm still sad that the Vita was screwed right from the starting line, let alone when the gates opened and Sony planted a goddamn minefield for the entire race.

Here's to hoping the Switch is everything we dream for.
I'm still sad to this day about the Vita too!!!

Its truly a huge loss for Sony if you ask me, that was one helluva impressive little powerhouse and it really had the opportunity to be the ultimate console experience in the palm of one's hand (I mean holy crap Killzone looked amazing on it!). What just gets me most is that Sony had to just do two simple things; stick with their promise of launching a bunch of great first party titles on it and lower the memory card prices. Easy as that. It may not meet any crazy sales expectations or break records but it sure as hell would've not been the sad failure it is now.

Gosh darn it Sony, you absolutely blew your foot off here with a shotgun here in terms of how badly you dun goofed with that portable system.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well that's some ballsy expectations :D
As about 100% of people in this thread, I can't see this happening. If it does, well done Ninty, and I am going to be one in that number you're striving for, but I am very doubtful.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
He has to sound confident for the shareholders, but the Wii popularity was a flash in the pan the likes of which we may never see again.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Who knows, as a console and as Nintendo's new handheld, it should speak to two different markets, it could happen...

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
ffronw said:
He also said that he felt that way because the Switch offers a unique way of playing games, just as the Wii did.
Somebody give this man an iPad.

Okay, that is a bit unfair, the iPad doesn't have physical buttons that is meant to control applications. But still.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
And I expect him to very disappointed.

The Wii sold well because it appealed to non-gamers and it was cheap. The Switch has already failed that second category and judging by the sales figures of other systems of this generation, consumer interest isn't likely to be at the same level as the Wii.

Still betting (not in real money) on 30-40 million units myself.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
*insert bender "oh wait you're serious" gif here*

and you mr. president will be very disappointed. Wii was a once a century deal. and most of its sales wasn't for the games. (it wasn't.) the best selling game on Wii is Mario kart with 36 mill. so about 2/3 of the wii users didn't buy it. wii sold mostly by being advertised as a device for sports and stuff. switch .... less soo

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima has gone on record as saying he expects the Switch to do well at retail - so well, in fact, that he thinks it will match the Wii's sales numbers.
Or the Wii U's sales numbers. One of those.

On the plus side, this time next year the price will have dropped by a third due to oversupply.