You Can Now Use Your WoW Gold to Bolster Your Battle.net Account Balance

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can Now Use Your WoW Gold to Bolster Your Battle.net Account Balance

If you've been looking for a few extra bucks to spend on loot boxes in Overwatch, you can use your WoW gold for that.

If you've built up a surplus of gold in World of Warcraft and you don't know what to do with it, Blizzard has a new option for you. The company introduced the WoW Token in 2015 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140365-Gold-for-Game-Time-WoW-Token-Launches-Tomrorow], which allowed players to purchase a token with real money that could be sold on the in-game auction house for gold. You could also buy the token and redeem it for 30 days of game time. Now, Blizzard is expanding the token's functionality, allowing you to redeem it to add $15 to your Battle.net account balance.

This change means that you'll be able to head to the World of Warcraft auction house, buy a WoW Token, and then redeem it to increase your Battle.net balance. Once you've got the funds in there, you can use them to pick up loot packs in Overwatch, card packs in Hearthstone, or even mounts, pets, and other goodies in the WoW store. You could even save up and use your cash to purchase the next Blizzard game or expansion.

As you can imagine, this has driven up the price of WoW Tokens. A cursory check of Wowtoken.info [https://wowtoken.info/] shows that the price has increased from about 60,000 gold to about 114,500 gold in the last 24 hours.

The WoW Token was initially introduced to help combat gold selling, and seeing Blizzard expand its functionality isn't all that surprising, especially given the company's penchant for sharing content between its games. If you've got a pile of gold that needs a purpose, you can find all the info on the WoW Token changes over on the official World of Warcraft site [https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20542016/trade-a-wow-token-for-battle-net-balance].

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Eek, I mean I guess it's cool you can theoretically buy premium mounts [footnote]or anything else[/footnote] using gold, but there's not a lot of gold sinks in WoW at the moment [footnote]and Legion more of less throws it at you[/footnote], which means the tokens have a much higher demand than they do supply.

I never thought I'd miss the days when you needed to pay for flying skill.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
*sniff sniff*

Do you smell that?

That's the smell of fear from thousands upon thousands of near-indentured gold farmers who just saw their employers crack the widest grin.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I was about to say that I welcome that change, Cowabungaa has a very good point, though...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Cowabungaa said:
*sniff sniff*

Do you smell that?

That's the smell of fear from thousands upon thousands of near-indentured gold farmers who just saw their employers crack the widest grin.
Gold farmers? In World of Warcraft?! The devil you say, sir! The devil you say!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
*sniff sniff*

Do you smell that?

I'm not too sure about that...

I mean, if anything, this sounds like it'll make gold farming harder. The gold price of the WoW token nearly doubled over 24 hours. That means that the amount of time needed to farm one up just doubled, or that you get half as much in the same timeframe.

Or to put it another way, let's say I want to buy myself some WoW gold. I can go to gold selling sites or I can go to Blizzard, buy a token and sell it on the Auction House. Previously, if I bought from Blizz, I'd get around 60,000 gold for $20. So a gold selling site would have to offer me a better deal to make it worth my while for the added risk. Now, I get 114,000 for the same $20, which means the gold selling sites have to drop their prices pretty much in half to match that.

Now, let's say I want to spend my money on some Overwatch lootboxes or Hearthstone packs. In order for the gold sellers to have a market there, they'd need to match the conversion rate of $$$->Gold->Token->B.Net Balance->Lootbox as opposed to me simply BUYING the lootbox directly from Blizzard (i.e. $$$->Lootbox).

Seriously, I don't see how this helps gold selling sites. Hell, it makes their job harder by dropping their prices...

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
This kind of ammounts to:
"We will pay you to play our game."

That or they really, really want to sell more of those tokens.

Either way. NOt biting, quite comfortable on my private server. THough I wonder how long before wow adopts an entirely F2P mindset.