There Will be a Free Splatoon 2 Trial For All Switch Owners in March

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
There Will be a Free Splatoon 2 Trial For All Switch Owners in March

If you pick up a Nintendo Switch before March 24, you'll be treated to a free demo of Splatoon 2.

The Nintendo Switch will launch on is a little bare [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169260-Nintendo-Switch-Launch-Date-Price-Announced#&gid=gallery_6797&pid=1], Nintendo have just announced a tantalizing little treat for early adopters: an exclusive first-look free trial of Splatoon 2.

The trial will take place in the form of a "global testfire", which will allow all Switch owners to play the game from March 24 to 26. The catch is that you can only play in specific, one-hour increments. Here's the schedule:

March 24

12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET
8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET

March 25

4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET
12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET
8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET

March 26

4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET

Nintendo said the preview will allow players to test four weapons, among them remixed versions of the Splat Roller and Splat Charger and the new Splat Dualies. The game launches "in summer" so this is a considerably early preview.

[gallery=6927]

Furthermore, Nintendo also announced that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with Splatoon's amiibo through a forthcoming app for smart devices.

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QjK3uTO4mg]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Seriously, whats so fucking difficult about just running a free weekend?

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
It's free for whoever pays for their shitty online program in the first place.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
DaCosta said:
except online is going to be free until sometime in the summer or fall, so this will be free (note I'm not defending the paid online, just pointing out that this trial is free)

anyway I'm surprised they're doing it so soon after the console launch, rather than closer to Splatoon 2's actual launch.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Fuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkk yyyyooooouuuuu Nintendo. What is so hard about just doing stuff that is standard nowdays. Its to the point now that it almost makes me mad how much of a fucktard they are.

Why not just run an open beta weekend like every other online game since ... IDK gears of war back in the early 360 days.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
totheendofsin said:
DaCosta said:
except online is going to be free until sometime in the summer or fall, so this will be free (note I'm not defending the paid online, just pointing out that this trial is free)

anyway I'm surprised they're doing it so soon after the console launch, rather than closer to Splatoon 2's actual launch.
I forgot that Fall for you is in September and not March.

So it will be free to show that it can be done, then they'll start charging for online. Even better...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
Fuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkk yyyyooooouuuuu Nintendo. What is so hard about just doing stuff that is standard nowdays. Its to the point now that it almost makes me mad how much of a fucktard they are.

Why not just run an open beta weekend like every other online game since ... IDK gears of war back in the early 360 days.
I remember Dark Souls 2 did the same thing. I was called entitled for complaining.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
The hypocrisy on this website is dumbfounding (not necessarily defending Nintendo here), BUT WHAT THE HECK. The other gaming companies overcharge for an online service for YEARS and and nobody makes a PEEP about it. But now its a Nintendo hatefest when they try it.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Cold Shiny said:
The hypocrisy on this website is dumbfounding (not necessarily defending Nintendo here), BUT WHAT THE HECK. The other gaming companies overcharge for an online service for YEARS and and nobody makes a PEEP about it. But now its a Nintendo hatefest when they try it.
People complained about xbl for years(tech sites, blog post, forums, videos) and still bring it up when PC is in the mix. I think another reason is the value proposition of ps+ and xbl, are more than what N is offering even at a reduced price.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Smart move imo and good choice of game. If only their strategy weren't so fucked up in so many other ways...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
So... a stress test?
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, Nintendo also announced that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with Splatoon's amiibo through a forthcoming app for smart devices.
Wait, so what's the point of the NFC scanner in the right Joy-Con then? Or is it just magically unable to read old amiibos? Why would there even be a difference?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Cold Shiny said:
Because everything Nintendo does is terrible and you should totally hate them or else you're the reason everything else bad in the game industry happens.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
So... a stress test?
I assume that's what this is.

It makes sense, considering it's a new Nintendo system, and they want to make sure their new internet service runs smoothly (which, considering they will start charging for online, is a pretty damn good thing to make sure of)

With the original Splatoon, the internet ran pretty smoothly and very free of lag, so I expect the same for the sequel.

Now we just need a new Smash Bros. to test out...

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I bet they will run multiple global testfires before the Splatoon 2 launch. It's a great way to supplement sales in Japan. Splatoon 2 is likely going to be the biggest game in Japan this year so providing this type of events will be pretty nice way to provide early buyers of Switch a taste of portable Splatoon.
With the new drive in making Splatoon an eSport in Japan it's certainly a sign of how much Nintendo plans to push 3DS owners in Japan towards their new console/handheld portable.

While Zelda and Mario might be big games in the West a lot of rests on Splatoon's shoulders to get 3DS owners to upgrade in Japan. It's the biggest console game in Japan this gen with nearly 1.7 million copies and we shall see what that translates to once it's out on a portable device which is Japan's preferred method of gaming. I think its going to be a top 10 selling game LTD in Japan in two, max three years.