GameStop Announces a Limited Number of Switch Consoles Available on Launch Day for Walk-Ins

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
GameStop Announces a Limited Number of Switch Consoles Available on Launch Day for Walk-Ins

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1368/1368309.jpgGameStop will have a limited number of Nintendo Switch bundles available for walk-in customers on launch day.

If you missed out on the chance to pre-order a Nintendo Switch, you might have a chance to get lucky come March 3. GameStop announced today that its stores will have "a limited supply of Nintendo Switch systems available for walk-in customers" when the console launches on March 3.

In a press release announcing the availability, Bob Puzon, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop, said, "We will have a limited supply of the Nintendo Switch systems on launch day for walk-in customers. Our teams made this happen. I would strongly suggest customers plan on attending one of our midnight launch events for a shot at securing one of these extra units. They will go fast!"

The company also announced that it will be making a "very limited supply" of two bundles available online. The first bundle includes a Nintendo Switch, a Switch Pro Controller, and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. That bundle will run you $429.99, or exactly what those items would cost you separately. The second online bundle will have all the same items, but will add a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild official strategy guide, and will sell for $454.99.

You can bet that most stores won't have much in the way of extra stock, but it sounds like there's at least a chance you could score a unit as a walk-in customer. The online bundles aren't all that great a deal, but if you missed out on all the pre-orders, it's probably the only way you're getting a console, Pro controller, and Zelda on day one.

The Nintendo Switch launches on March 3, and many GameStop stores will have midnight events to celebrate. You can find more information on GameStop's Nintendo Switch page [http://www.gamestop.com/switch]

[gallery=6966]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Oh wow. Big shocker. Nintendo not making enough units available to meet demand. Shocker!
Right? Its almost like they learned nothing since the good old days of the Wii not being able to be bought for many months post launch.

OP: While this is a good move by GameStop, Nintendo should stop short stocking their console at launch. Especially when the console is only $50 less than a PS4 in the US and effectively requires people to buy an SD card for a respectable amount of memory. Unless you're a hardcore Nintendo fan there's not many reasons to buy a Switch.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
MonsterCrit said:
Oh wow. Big shocker. Nintendo not making enough units available to meet demand. Shocker!
Right? Its almost like they learned nothing since the good old days of the Wii not being able to be bought for many months post launch.

OP: While this is a good move by GameStop, Nintendo should stop short stocking their console at launch. Especially when the console is only $50 less than a PS4 in the US and effectively requires people to buy an SD card for a respectable amount of memory. Unless you're a hardcore Nintendo fan there's not many reasons to buy a Switch.
Just remember: someone died trying to win a Wii. Nintendo never learned.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Unless, of course, you're wanting to buy a used one... :^)

(It's a joke, people. Yes, I obviously realize there can't be used ones on launch day.....or can there?! o.o)

Bit of a tangent, but still on a related note: has GameStop made any kind of official statement about their Circle of Life employee policy - one that encourages employees to out-right lie to customers lest they lose their jobs for not meeting their quotas - being outed and confirmed by numerous employees (from lowly clerks to district managers)? That was a pretty damning story.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
And thus Nintendo went slowly bankrupt from an inability to meet supply and demand.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
RaikuFA said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
MonsterCrit said:

Just remember: someone died trying to win a Wii. Nintendo never learned.
I fault the radio station holding the Wii as a prize for that to an extent. And as harsh as this is to say, the contestant as well. Wasn't Nintendo's idea to have a contest where the person who drinks the most water without pissing wins.

Though I admit, I didn't know water intoxication was a thing until that event.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Nintendo should stop short stocking their console at launch.
They do it purely for the press. By producing a handful of units, they can truthfully say that the device has sold out in all markets. Generally, such positive news has been known to drive up a companies stock value. Which in turn, makes them even more money.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Game stop sucks..... oh wait... that's not enough for a post? Um... I'd rather attempt pleasure myself with sandpaper glued to my hands than ever shop at GameStop again....

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Nintendo should stop short stocking their console at launch.
They do it purely for the press. By producing a handful of units, they can truthfully say that the device has sold out in all markets. Generally, such positive news has been known to drive up a companies stock value. Which in turn, makes them even more money.
I think most people realize that. But I also think most that it hurts Nintendo to artificially short stock units for press we know is generated by such. The only people Nintendo sway with that kind of tactic are people who don't really follow the gaming industry at all. Most gaming websites call out Nintendo for the artificial shortages these days so it won't help here.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Of course they do. They are Nintendo, which thinks scarsity is the same as success.
FalloutJack said:
And thus Nintendo went slowly bankrupt from an inability to meet supply and demand.
They have done the same since the NES days, which considering ET is not a bad thing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
hermes said:
Of course they do. They are Nintendo, which thinks scarsity is the same as success.
FalloutJack said:
They have done the same since the NES days, which considering ET is not a bad thing.
Things were different back then. Nowadays, people are 'I want it NOW', and if you don't deliver...you're in trouble.