Early Reports Indicate Connection Issues for the Nintendo Switch's Joy-Con Controllers

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Early Reports Indicate Connection Issues for the Nintendo Switch's Joy-Con Controllers

Left Joy-Con in particular appears to have reliability issues on unpatched Nintendo Switch consoles.

With just one week to launch, a number of people in the gaming press who have received the Nintendo Switch early are reporting connection issues for the Joy-Con controller, specifically the left controller.

The video below showcases the issue, which appears to be occurring when the Joy-Con controller is covered or something is between the Joy-Con and the console. However, that's also when intentionally attempting to replicate the issue, so it's not immediately clear if that is the only time it is occurring.

You can check out some other reports of the issue below.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/jose_otero/status/834794098494099458]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/nron10/status/834773641233592320]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/834767748685262850]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/834799575579889665]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/DamienMcFerran/status/834807661036187649]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Dinfire/status/834819669580083201]

Nintendo already announced a day one update that will hopefully address this issue, although this issue wasn't specifically mentioned for the update. However, with how many reports are coming in, and considering the limited number of Switch's out in the wild at the moment, it's something to keep in mind as launch day approaches.

We have reached out to Nintendo for comment, in order to see if this was a known issue and if it is, if it will be addressed in the day one patch. We'll update this story should we receive a comment.

[gallery=6977]

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
From what I?ve read and what other people have seen and tested themselves, it?s the same issue as with the Wii U controller. After a certain distance the connection gets weak and easily blockable. Basically if you use the Joy Cons more than 10 feet away, the wireless connection to the console will get disrupted.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
I think this shows just how much durability testing the switch went through. I mean you make a wireless controller,. The first thing you do is try to block the signal, test the range, etc.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
The Nintendo Switch feels like this year's "Batman V Superman : Dawn Of Justice" to me. This is because the more I hear about it, The more I dread it's actual release as it doesn't really look like it'll be a happy ending.

At least I'll be more able to pretend that it hasn't come out yet a bit more easily since I can't see myself or anyone else buying it for me or having one for a while.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Problems not to have a week before launch...

If a patch doesn't fix this the media could get ugly.
I highly doubt this is going to get fixed by a patch or a firmware update. This isn't a bug or some kind of software glitch that is causing the sensor to desync or not register.

It's a problem with the hardware itself. The sensors aren't up to snuff. Unless Nintendo for some insanely dumb reason turned down the settings, no coding is going to suddenly make the sensor extend its range or be able to suddenly make the signal stronger to pass through objects.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well duh, 1 look at the thing and its many moving parts tells you there will be fragility issues which is very un-nintendo who usually goes through stupid lengths to build their things to be 100% secure an durable to the point of being bomb proof.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
loa said:
Well duh, 1 look at the thing and its many moving parts tells you there will be fragility issues which is very un-nintendo who usually goes through stupid lengths to build their things to be 100% secure an durable to the point of being bomb proof.
You didn't actually read the article, did you... this had nothing to do with physical connectivity, and everything to do with wireless connectivity. For all we know, the Joycons could still survive the "will it blend" test.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
ccggenius12 said:
loa said:
You didn't actually read the article, did you... this had nothing to do with physical connectivity, and everything to do with wireless connectivity. For all we know, the Joycons could still survive the "will it blend" test.
You think this will be the end of it?
Watch.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
loa said:
ccggenius12 said:
loa said:
You think this will be the end of it?
Watch.
I wonder how long those little pads stay connected to the tablet in the hands of one of those gamers that have a firm grip on their controllers, squeezing and bending it up to the point where you can sometimes hear the plastic squeak.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Rednog said:
It's a problem with the hardware itself. The sensors aren't up to snuff. Unless Nintendo for some insanely dumb reason turned down the settings, no coding is going to suddenly make the sensor extend its range or be able to suddenly make the signal stronger to pass through objects.
Without actually having the devices, it's impossible to say if the problem lies with the receiver in the Switch main device (what you call "sensor") or the sender in the Joycons. If it's the latter, it's quite possible that they indeed have reduced the signal strength, for example to increase the battery life. In that case, it might be possible to fix the problem with a software update - at the expense of the battery life.

However, yeah, that doesn't bode well...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Janichsan said:
Rednog said:
Without actually having the devices, it's impossible to say if the problem lies with the receiver in the Switch main device (what you call "sensor") or the sender in the Joycons. If it's the latter, it's quite possible that they indeed have reduced the signal strength, for example to increase the battery life. In that case, it might be possible to fix the problem with a software update - at the expense of the battery life.

However, yeah, that doesn't bode well...
My mistake you're right the problem is signal strength from the Joycons, not the sensor on the Main device, I misspoke.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
And things were looking so well for Nintendo too, over the last couple of years.

If they don't get their things together, the Switch is going to bomb like crazy and they might end up bankrupt.
I think the only thing at the moment that can save them is if they flood their Virtual Console market place with all the nostalgia games that they have. Because they market it also as a portable system, and those nostalgia hits are what you want on a portable. Basically, what I'm saying is that nostalgia is what is keeping Nintendo afloat at the moment, and they need to change this into a nostalgia machine until they have fixed the issues and come back with more games and a better line-up. All they can bench on now is diverting attention from the issues and the rather sparse amount of game announcements and launch titles and just go full on fan pandering with old titles.
As it stands and if Nintendo doesn't do something amazing, they will be in trouble.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Same video as opening post

In short, the joycon is not having any syncing problems.
The problem is in the connection range, every wireless machine has this.
The WiiU gamepad had it, and the Xbox and PS4 controllers has the same thing when you move too far away from the console.
The difference is, the joycons seem to be really sensitive and placing the controller as much as behind your leg (if you're playing with the joycon grip thing) might disrupt the signal between the controller and the console.

This guy then again talks about Bluetooth and how that might be faulty.
This is only his thoughts though