Ubisoft Announces New Game Based on Avatar From The Division Developer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Ubisoft Announces New Game Based on Avatar From The Division Developer

Massive Entertainment is developing the game, which will "expand on the movie universe in new ways and offer the freedom to experience Pandora like never before."

Ubisoft has announced [http://blog.ubi.com/new-avatar-game-spearheaded-division-developer-massive/] that Division developer Massive Entertainment is currently working on a new game, set in the world of James Cameron's Avatar. The game is the result of a partnership with Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Interactive, announced today. The game is being developed for PC and consoles, using Massive's Snowdrop engine "to bring Pandora's unique terrain and inhabitants to life."

"What impressed me about Massive were the group's passion for this project, and the power of its Snowdrop engine," Cameron said. "With the power of [Snowdrop], and the team's passion and obsessive focus on detail, we know they're the right group to bring the beauty and danger of Pandora to life."

"With four sequels to Avatar in development, Massive and Lightstorm are working side-by-side to expand on the movie universe in new ways and offer the freedom to experience Pandora like never before," the post reads. "With the Game Developers Conference in full swing this week in San Francisco, they're scouting for top talent to help make the game a reality."

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Huh, well, that came out of nowhere.

I guess it'll launch somewhere around Avatar 2, but it still just seems super late, or super early.

Also, I guess this means no Division 2 for a while, then.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
At first I was hyped because I love Avatar... except when I say Avatar I mean The Last Airbender. This gives no hypes...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
*splurts out fermented coconut cocktail*

FOUR sequels?? Ugh... Nevermind.

So long as the game gives me a cool ass totes-not-a-dragon to fly about and munch unsuspecting fauna and humans, all is fine. If not...gtfo.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I LOVE the world, at least what's been shown, but the movie was kind of 'meh'.

IF they could expand the world and make something akin to Monster Hunter or an open world action RPG with flying island and cool looking creatures...I'd totally be in.

IF it's like the previous game?
Then fuck it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
After the Witcher 3, I expect a lot more from my open world games. I hope this can deliver. Bonus points if there is a VR mode. Doesn't even have to be the main game, just a flight through the Hallelujah mountains or something.

HeartoftheTiger

Sep 13, 2010
Devin Barker said:
At first I was hyped because I love Avatar... except when I say Avatar I mean The Last Airbender. This gives no hypes...
The next "The Last Airbender" game should go to Bioware or Bethesda. Right now because of this clarification, I am imagining Na'vi warriors in cover-based shooters.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Oh. ... Yay?

Can't muster any sort of hype over this. All I can see is the lush and fantastic world of Pandora and think to myself, "Man, wouldn't it be dope if they were doing an MtG spinoff game and this was an aerial shot of Zendikar?"

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
I'm mildly excited for this. Its been so long since the first Avatar movie that I don't really know how they feel they can pull four movies back to back outta it, but the universe is interesting enough that I'll play a game set in it. What worries me a bit is that basically its just good feels they've talked about in the video. They haven't told me shit about what the game is actually gonna be.

Make an interesting game, I'll play it, make it naff, I won't play it. IP doesn't matter too much in that regard.