Nintendo Switch Will Be the First Console to Support Stardew Valley Multiplayer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Switch Will Be the First Console to Support Stardew Valley Multiplayer

Stardew Valley heads to the Switch this summer.

Back in November [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168928-Stardew-Valley-Wii-U-Cancelled-Switch-in-The-Works], it was revealed that the Wii U version of Stardew Valley was getting scrapped, and instead the developer would be focusing on a version of the game for the Nintendo Switch, as the "Switch's unique capabilities could create some exciting opportunities for Stardew Valley."

Today, Nintendo revealed that the game, currently available to play on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, will be available this summer. More than that - the Switch version of the game will also be the first console to support the game's upcoming multiplayer functionality.

As the "first console," it's still possible that the feature will be available on the PC version of the game first or at the same time. We've reached out for clarity, and will update this post with any response we may receive.

[gallery=6991]

The Nintendo Switch launches this Friday, March 3, for $299.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh, you mean that multiplayer that's got the shittiest subscription service of the three console manufacturers? Hope the Switch isn't hoping on that to be a system mover.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I thought they said they'd have multiplayer out sooner than what they apparently said for this.
Kinda disappointed. Was gonna buy the game to play it with my best friend while she's laid up in hospital for a month. If they don't have multiplayer by then, then I guess I just won't bother getting the game after all.

Feb 7, 2016
The game is well worth the single player experience, but I know quite a few people keeping themselves from purchasing it on PC until the official multiplayer is implemented. And the only thing we know is "Sometime this year. Maybe. Idk."

I'm still happy for those that plan on getting a Switch and haven't played these games yet, but Nintendo still has yet to intice me to bother. I forgot the console was coming out recently. (yes I know every gaming news outlet has been talking about it, but I care about the console so little I rarely click on them) Combine that with their unproven multiplayer support, it's kind of funny this seems to be a selling point.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
erttheking said:
Oh, you mean that multiplayer that's got the shittiest subscription service of the three console manufacturers? Hope the Switch isn't hoping on that to be a system mover.
Really?, how is $20 a year worse than the $5-$15 per month the other consoles ask for?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kibeth41 said:
erttheking said:
How do you find a way to whine about this?
Because Nintendo doesn't get a free dick sucking from me. This is walled behind this bullshit, so get used to me "whining"
DarklordKyo said:
erttheking said:
Really?, how is $20 a year worse than the $5-$15 per month the other consoles ask for?
Both XBL and PS+ have a lot more benefits than a two decade old game you get to keep for one month.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kibeth41 said:
erttheking said:
Because Nintendo doesn't get a free dick sucking from me. This is walled behind this bullshit, so get used to me "whining"
It's not walled behind anything. He just has the multiplayer ready for the Switch first.

So again, what are you even whining about?
The multiplayer is walled behind the Switch's stupid and horrifically designed subscription. Sorry I'm not forming a choir of praise for the Switch.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kibeth41 said:
erttheking said:
The multiplayer is walled behind the Switch's stupid and horrifically designed subscription. Sorry I'm not forming a choir of praise for the Switch.
You've not seen anything of the service itself. So you can't call it horrifically designed. If you had, you'd have the right to an opinion.
If I was to call the service excellent and Nintendo brilliant, I'd doubt you'd have a problem with that. And yes, I can call it horrifically designed because Nintendo has told us how it will work, I have compared it to Sony and Microsoft's subscriptions, and I have found it horrifically lacking.