The Nintendo Switch Will Use Friend Codes

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Nintendo Switch Will Use Friend Codes

300 friend cap, too.

The day one patch that activates the Nintendo Switch's online features has gone live for those who have received the new hybrid console early, and it's answered one of the unanswered questions about the system - the Nintendo Switch is using friend codes (thanks, Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-02-friend-codes-return-for-nintendo-switch]).

When you click on your user profile, you'll be able to see your friend code in the bottom corner. This is the code that friends will enter if they want to send you a friend request. You can also search for local users and search for users you've played with, but unless you've played with someone before or are physically in the same room with them, you can find and add them as friends that way as well.

[gallery=7004]

More than that, however, over on the Japanese website [https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/switch/friends/index.html], Nintendo suggests that the system will only allow up to 300 friends. There is currently no option for adding friends from social media accounts.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
To be clear, you can just click some sort of "add friend" thing with people you play with online right?

Friendcodes are dumb. Literally the only positive was in Pokemon X and Y, which ofcourse was absent from the later games.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Saelune said:
To be clear, you can just click some sort of "add friend" thing with people you play with online right?
Yeh, I think the interiew stated "4 different ways", but friendcode or then someone you play with or have played with in the past, basically. I think the 4th alternative was something like another Switch close by, so if you happen to live in the same house, one is on 3rd floor and someone else on 2nd floor, they would find eachother via bluetooth and can be added.

Why are people so upset about the 300 friend cap?
300 sounds like a shitload to me, I won't be adding everyone who walks by me in the street...

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Guffe said:
Why are people so upset about the 300 friend cap?
300 sounds like a shitload to me, I won't be adding everyone who walks by me in the street...
Because there's people out there who seem to think that having thousands of "friends" on social media actually means something