Nintendo Acknowledges JoyCon Connectivity Issues, Offers Solutions

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Acknowledges JoyCon Connectivity Issues, Offers Solutions

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357093.jpg
Nintendo has offered some helpful suggestions to avoid JoyCon connectivity issues, such as avoiding playing near an aquarium...

One of the more worrying reports we saw coming from the Nintendo Switch pre-launch was the JoyCon connectivity issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169634-Report-Connection-Issues-Noted-for-Switch-Joy-Con-Controllers#&gid=gallery_6977&pid=1] that many people were experiencing. The issue persisted through launch, and even a post-launch update, and is causing the system's JoyCon controllers to randomly loose sync with the console. Nintendo has finally issued a statement addressing the issue, and offering some "solutions" that may help gamers out.

In the official Switch F.A.Q [http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22513/p/897/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4ODgwODc0My9zaWQvZlV2ZGo3ZlBnZFlMbkdjWXVycGhhTExjMDZQMnl4N2UlN0VnQkVoY3htZzJvODhUeXB1NUhXdmwwTVc1SkpxRHcxRWVqQTNLUTFJTVY5S0RhbDk5NjdhOVhoNDFLNiU3RWFPajZpczJLX2lYc2Z4QURCZW8wSm1qblhZZyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D], Nintendo describes an issue where "The Joy-Con controller appears to lose connection with the console." Here are the suggestions it offers to help solve this issue:

Ensure your console has the latest system update.
Ensure the Joy-Con controllers are charged.
Try to decrease the distance between the Joy-Con and the Nintendo Switch console.
Ensure that the Nintendo Switch console is placed to minimize interference with the Joy-Con. It is best if the Nintendo Switch console is placed out in the open and that it is not:
Behind a TV
Near an aquarium
Placed in or under a metal object
Pressed against a large amount of wires and cords
Within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.
Check for possible sources of interference and turn them off. Interference can be caused by devices, such as:
Laptops, tablets, etc.
Wireless headsets
Wireless printers
Microwaves
Wireless speakers
Cordless phones
USB 3.0-compatible devices such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc.

I knew it was the aquariums! Even when it was the bears I knew it was the aquariums.

Source: Nintendo [http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22513/p/897/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4ODgwODc0My9zaWQvZlV2ZGo3ZlBnZFlMbkdjWXVycGhhTExjMDZQMnl4N2UlN0VnQkVoY3htZzJvODhUeXB1NUhXdmwwTVc1SkpxRHcxRWVqQTNLUTFJTVY5S0RhbDk5NjdhOVhoNDFLNiU3RWFPajZpczJLX2lYc2Z4QURCZW8wSm1qblhZZyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D]

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Just get everything out of the room, that may help.

These are work-arounds, not solutions. Did you know that if your Switch has dead pixels, the warranty doesn't cover that?

Seriously Nintendo, fuck off. How one can perform such a drop in trust is beyond me. Nintendo had a thing going for it and it was the quality. And if something went wrong, they put up with the consequences. Now they make shitty products like Microsoft and behave like assholes like SONY to their customers.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
How about you recall the Switch, fix the issue, then relaunch it when it's ready for Prime Time, Nintendo?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
My favorite bit is that they tell you move your cell phone away from the Switch, or turn it off.

Of course, the upcoming Switch multiplayer requires you to use a mobile app to make it work. So you either have working multiplayer, or a working Joy-Con. Decisions, decisions.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Naldan said:
Just get everything out of the room, that may help.

These are work-arounds, not solutions. Did you know that if your Switch has dead pixels, the warranty doesn't cover that?

Seriously Nintendo, fuck off. How one can perform such a drop in trust is beyond me. Nintendo had a thing going for it and it was the quality. And if something went wrong, they put up with the consequences. Now they make shitty products like Microsoft and behave like assholes like SONY to their customers.
Unfortunately the international quality standard for LCD screens says that it's okay if there is a dead pixel or two. That's nothing new.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.
Check for possible sources of interference and turn them off. Interference can be caused by devices, such as:
You mean, like a mobile phone?
A mobile phone that you said was needed for online interactivity?

Yeah, great move Nintendo...
What were they thinking.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So their solution is to turn off any source of wireless interference including 'phones' sorry isn't this the console that Nintendo opted to ditch a built in voice over chat system and force you to use an app on your smart phone to do voice communication?

Seriously though can anyone else actually find an electronic device FAQ that at any point refers to aquariums in it? (apart for ones that obviously about aquarium equipment)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nevertheless, two facts inescapably remain.

1. Breath of the Wild is really good.
2. People wanted the Switch for its sheer portability anyway.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Nevertheless, two facts inescapably remain.

1. Breath of the Wild is really good.
Not if you can't play it.

2. People wanted the Switch for its sheer portability anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
BiH-Kira said:
Unfortunately the international quality standard for LCD screens says that it's okay if there is a dead pixel or two. That's nothing new.
Yeah, thank you for reminding me.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Chimpzy said:
What about your TV screen? Does that interfere with your Switch too?
I know that's a joke but if it's a smart TV, it actually would cause a great deal of interference with wireless connectivity.
Laughing Man said:
Seriously though can anyone else actually find an electronic device FAQ that at any point refers to aquariums in it? (apart for ones that obviously about aquarium equipment)
No but it's something that isn't as silly as you think. Water does in fact form an area of obstruction for wireless signals. It's been a major issue for all those newfangled wireless earbuds, specifically the Bragi Dash which had issues if you even put your hand over your ear, or even if your phone was in your pocket. They did manage to fix it mostly in a patch though so I'm hoping this is a software fuckup on Nintendo's part and they manage to release an update that does fix it.

THough apparently, the recent update did fix it for most and you just need to do a hard reboot of the console with the joycons docked. Something people seem to be missing.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Here's a fix

http://nintendoeverything.com/another-look-into-the-left-joy-con-connectivity-issues-could-be-hardware-related/

And yes, that means taking the joy-con apart and soldering in a new antenna.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
So, unless you put the whole thing, plus a TV in a padded cell it probably has trouble working.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Not if you can't play it.
Just gotta hook it up to the screen.

Johnny Novgorod said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
Doesn't apply actually because the grapes (using the Switch as a home console) looked crappy even before we found out we couldn't get 'em.