Monolith Shows Off the First Gameplay Footage from Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Monolith Shows Off the First Gameplay Footage from Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1387/1387525.jpgThe first gameplay footage for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War has arrived, showing off the expanded Nemesis System.

Last week, Warner Bros. and Monolith Productions announced Middle Earth: Shadow of War [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169645-Middle-Earth-Shadow-of-War-Announced-Shadow-of-Mordor-Sequel-August-Release], the sequel to the much-praised Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Today, as promised, we're getting our first look at how the game will play.

The gameplay video released today runs just over 16 minutes, and features alpha footage combined with voice-over narration to show off many of the upcoming game's new systems.

As you can see, the Nemesis system has been expanded, allowing not only for more nuanced enemies and allies, but extending to customizable fortresses that take on the characteristics of their leaders. As before, enemies can be subverted, dominated or dispatched at your whim. You can ride drakes, call armored wargs, and even find yourself owing your life to that orc sniper you recruited to your army. You can also end up facing off with that orc you recruited and left for dead three major battles back.

The combat system looks just as nice as it did in Shadow of Mordor, with what look to be some new wraith-inspired moves added in. Plus, there appears to be an added focus on some of the game's RPG elements, with loot, armor, and more customization available.

There's doubtless much more information to come, but for now, it looks as though Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is on track to be a worthwhile successor to Shadow of Mordor.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is slated to released on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on August 22, 2017.

[gallery=7030]

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Plus, there appears to be an added focus on some of the game's RPG elements, with loot, armor, and more customization available.
Oh, fuck no... God, do I hate it when of all the RPG elements they add these.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
The video really does look awesome though I'm wondering how much of it actually was gameplay and what was scripted. But here's hoping the game really does turn out to be as fun as looks in the video. I do wonder though if they have plans to extend the online elements between players a bit more than being able to get revenge on a Warchief that killed your friend such as being able to attack forts based on other player's main bases or being attacked by raiding parties composed of soldiers from your friends' armies. Oh also in the case of characters like Thrak we don't end up running into him another 6 or 7 times afterwards with just bits of his head shaved off like some "rare" occurrences in the previous game. I had this guy called Skrog who just wouldn't die even when I lopped his head off. He started off as the assassin model and then just became this blue eyed burned husk of a creature that had poison coming out of everywhere.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
.......goddammit the hype has infested me I want this now.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Nile McMorrow said:
The video really does look awesome though I'm wondering how much of it actually was gameplay and what was scripted. But here's hoping the game really does turn out to be as fun as looks in the video. I do wonder though if they have plans to extend the online elements between players a bit more than being able to get revenge on a Warchief that killed your friend such as being able to attack forts based on other player's main bases or being attacked by raiding parties composed of soldiers from your friends' armies. Oh also in the case of characters like Thrak we don't end up running into him another 6 or 7 times afterwards with just bits of his head shaved off like some "rare" occurrences in the previous game. I had this guy called Skrog who just wouldn't die even when I lopped his head off. He started off as the assassin model and then just became this blue eyed burned husk of a creature that had poison coming out of everywhere.
I imagine the entire video was "scripted" but is made up of things that "could happen" in the free running game.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I never picked up Shadow of Mordor, and after seeing some of the things the Nemesis system has produced I kind of regret it. Colour me interested!