8 Great FPS Games to Look Forward to in 2017

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Great FPS Games to Look Forward to in 2017

This year promises to be a great one for FPS players!

Here are eight games we'll get to enjoy in 2017!

Read Full Article

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Battlefront 2 came out many years ago, either change the title or stop listing it.

That said I really do need to play more FPS games, most of my steam library is strategy games and I like the excitement an FPS offers. Guess it's why I've been playing a lot of Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel lately.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
2 things:

-Numbers 4 and 5 are missing their formatting, and their text.
-2 games on the list arent FPS' for as far as I am aware.

That spiritual succesor to Decent though, might want it once I have a new PC.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Battalion 1944 looks more and more like Day of Defeat every time I see it, this makes me deliriously happy.

Why Valve persisted with Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2 but allowed Day of Defeat to tail off I will never know.

The other things I take from this is that only 6 First Person Shooters worth talking about are coming up this year, Prey had better be awesome.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You have a list of fps games to look forward to and dont have Strafe on it? What the hell dude?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Worgen said:
You have a list of fps games to look forward to and dont have Strafe on it? What the hell dude?
And instead they have Mass Effect: Andromeda... which isn't even an FPS in the first place!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Worgen said:
And instead they have Mass Effect: Andromeda... which isn't even an FPS in the first place!
And come to think of it, isnt ghost recon a 3rd person shooter also?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
1) Almost certainly won't play it, but I think it looks interesting.

2) Haven't heard of.

3) No, unless it has a very solid singleplayer

4) No (also, your entry for this one is glitched or something)

5) Eh, kinda

6) Same as Farpoint - doubt I'll play it, but as someone who loved Battlefield 1942, glad it exists

7) No, and isn't this a TPS?

8) This isn't an FPS. It isn't even a TPS. It's an RPG with TPS elements.

...but yes, I am kinda looking forward to it.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Worgen said:
Damn, hadn't that game on my radar ... until now! Looks great and tongue in cheek!
The STRAFE? team is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any injury or temporary loss of sanity while playing STRAFE?
Which clearly shows again: Comments are soooo important to "news" articles!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Geisterkarle said:
Worgen said:
Damn, hadn't that game on my radar ... until now! Looks great and tongue in cheek!
The STRAFE? team is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any injury or temporary loss of sanity while playing STRAFE?
Which clearly shows again: Comments are soooo important to "news" articles!
Yeah, for some reason these lists tend to just have rather big names and ignore lesser known titles and usually better looking ones too.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
In which way, shape or form is Mass Effect: Andromeda an FPS? I can make a better listicle in my sleep.

Sep 24, 2008
The game play might be on point, but the more I look at Quake, the more.... disappointed I am with it given how Doom rocked our collective faces.

They always wanted it as a darker, edgier older brother to Doom's "Lulz demons from hell, brah". The First Quake was sitting in its smoking jacket and reading the wall street journal going "Quaint. We have Eldritch Gods."

But nope. They decide to revamp the now campy looking 90's Quake arena aesthetic. And it really doesn't work.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Not gonna lie. I'm super excited for Quake: Champions and Prey.

fix-the-spade said:
Why Valve persisted with Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2 but allowed Day of Defeat to tail off I will never know.
They had their reasons, including a loss of interest from the community in WWII based shooters, but it doesn't mean we have to like it...

The other things I take from this is that only 6 First Person Shooters worth talking about are coming up this year,
Nah. There are others. I'm not sure why they limited the list to six.

Dusk is a notable one. Looks like a true homage to the Quakes, Dooms, and Heretic/Hexens of years past. Far more than Strafe does, anyway.

Granted, it wears its inspirations on its sleeve, but still.

Prey had better be awesome.
Gods, I hope so.

Worgen said:
Better question: Why the hell didn't he include Dusk?!

The Super Best Friends crew did a first look of sorts here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/

ObsidianJones said:
The game play might be on point, but the more I look at Quake, the more.... disappointed I am with it given how Doom rocked our collective faces.

They always wanted it as a darker, edgier older brother to Doom's "Lulz demons from hell, brah". The First Quake was sitting in its smoking jacket and reading the wall street journal going "Quaint. We have Eldritch Gods."

But nope. They decide to revamp the now campy looking 90's Quake arena aesthetic. And it really doesn't work.
See above.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Vigormortis said:
They had their reasons, including a loss of interest from the community in WWII based shooters, but it doesn't mean we have to like it...
I would love to know what the real reasons were. Day of Defeat Source sold pretty well and had large payer base for a good six years after, a thousand-ish people are still playing it now twelve years after release. Although it somehow manages to be even less noob friendly than Counter Strike, which might have something to do with it.

I suspect it was dropped because nobody could think of a good way to monetise it. I would love a new version to come out with the original DoD factions and weapons, but that seems to be slim hope.