Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Trailer Shows Off New Switch-Exclusive Features

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Trailer Shows Off New Switch-Exclusive Features

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes with five new racers, several new tracks and items, and a few extra game modes and features.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is due out for the Nintendo Switch on April 28 - bringing the console some much needed first-party content. But hold on, didn't you already play Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U? The deluxe edition of the game is functionally identical to its last-gen predecessor, with the addition of a bunch of new stuff. Nintendo has released the trailer to the right to showcase just what's new in the Switch version.

First up, all of the DLC content for Mario Kart 8 comes included in the base Deluxe package, bringing the total number of playable maps to 48. Five new characters: Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl, King Boo, Dry Bones and Bowser Jr. have been added, along with their respective unique karts and bikes.

Perhaps the biggest change in Deluxe is the revamped battle mode. Battle mode was a bit of a let down in the original Mario Kart 8, as it had players battle on cut-down versions of main game tracks, rather than custom battle arenas. Balloon Battle returns in Deluxe, alongside new modes Renegade Roundup, Bob-omb Blast, Shine Thief, and Coin Runners. Best of all, they are all played on eight custom-designed battle arenas, including a Splatoon-themed zone.

[gallery=7043]

Some additional new features include the new ultra-fast 200CC mode, and "Steering Assist" - an optional feature that prevents players from falling off the track on maps such as the notorious Rainbow Road.

Finally, Nintendo revealed that the JoyCon racing wheel attachments will also be available on April 28, at $14.99 for a set of two.

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKB9FEXhJ68]

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Haven't Bomb-omb Blast, Shine Thief, and Coin Runners all been battle modes in previous MK games?

Unless of course you just meant new as in new to MK8.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
CellShaded said:
? They couldn't develop a new one exclusive to the Switch? Typical Nintendo move.
Yeah, how typically Nintendo, it's not like the xbone and ps4 have tons of ports and remasters! ...oh wait they do

This is pretty clearly aimed at people who skipped the Wii U but got the switch, and besides I'm sure Mario kart 9 is in the works

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
CellShaded said:
? They couldn't develop a new one exclusive to the Switch? Typical Nintendo move.
When TLoU was released on PS4 did people made similar comments?

totheendofsin said:
CellShaded said:
Yeah, how typically Nintendo, it's not like the xbone and ps4 have tons of ports and remasters! ...oh wait they do

This is pretty clearly aimed at people who skipped the Wii U but got the switch, and besides I'm sure Mario kart 9 is in the works
Also a few of the people who build MK8 are actually busy working on Arms. I'd be happy if they announce additional DLC for the Winter and 2018 personally I'd like to have a BotW, Splatoon and Super Mario Odyssey themed tracks.

I don't even know why they'd need to make a new MK - when they could just add features to the existing game. MK7 to MK8 was a considerable upgrade while MK8 to MK9 won't be - so it'd be better if Nintendo wait till they do a revision to the Switch before working on MK9.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, I don't think they should make a MK9. In my opinion, with all the crossover already happening (Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon) they should just make a Nintendo Kart (Super Smash Kart?). Have items, Tracks, and characters from various Nintendo franchises. Like Samus with a Norfair track and a metroid as an item (Metroid latches onto a racer and they lose control of their kart or something)

I'd imagine such a game would sell pretty well.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Las7 said:
Probably, but TLoU atleast did come with significant upgrades to fit the bump in power between the generations, whereas MK8 Deluxe comes with..what? Battle Mode? The ability to brake while you're drifting? Hold two items? Totally worth my 60$ right there.

Also, you'd expect Nintendo to have more launch titles lined up for their console. 1-2 Switch and Zelda : BotW are a bit of a meagre start. Even the WiiU was better off.

Kibeth41 said:
Adding proper Battle Mode that should've been there to begin with and the ability to brake while you're drifting does not really constitute "new features" in my book. But maybe your definitions are looser than mine. And for an explanation of a classic nintendo move, take a look at the way they handled the WiiU.