Nintendo Switch Dock Returns to Online Store, Sans Cables

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Switch Dock Returns to Online Store, Sans Cables

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357093.jpg
Good news: the replacement dock is $30 cheaper than before. Bad news: it doesn't come with any cables.

Last week, Nintendo returned to the store [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169730-Nintendo-Switch-Dock-Removed-From-Sale], but with a few notable caveats. First, it's a full $30 cheaper than the $89.99 it initially retailed for, at just $59.99. But, it no longer comes with any AV or power cables.

This is a shame for those who were hoping to purchase a second dock to store in a second location at their home, or at a friend or family member's home. As it comes with no cables it is literally just a replacement for your existing dock.

Why would you want to purchase just a replacement dock? Some Switch users are reporting that their docks are "warped", and are scratching the screens of their consoles when inserted and removed.

As of writing, there is no option to purchase the $89.99 version of the dock that comes with cables.

Source: Nintendo [https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=2&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod880075&categoryId=cat831380]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Wait....that "dock warp" thing isn't covered by the warranty? Because that feels like something that you shouldn't have to pay $60 to fix their defect...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Wait....that "dock warp" thing isn't covered by the warranty? Because that feels like something that you shouldn't have to pay $60 to fix their defect...
$1 worth of plastic is not worth good customer service. What does Nintendo have against cords? Do they have stocks in those off brand companies that sell them?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sometime you have admire the sheer gall of Nintendo. Sixty dollars for a hollow piece of plastic with a couple of connectors in it, not even the cables that fit the connectors. Even Steve Jobs would be impressed by such a level of customer shafting bravado.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Sometime you have admire the sheer gall of Nintendo. Sixty dollars for a hollow piece of plastic with a couple of connectors in it, not even the cables that fit the connectors. Even Steve Jobs would be impressed by such a level of customer shafting bravado.
Maybe his death was staged and he got a job at Nintendo in secrecy? It's more and more Apple like.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well that could've been out from the startingpack.
Would've reduced the cost of the console to about 250 for me, then the dock for +50 and I have an extra HDMI cable at home and bought another USB-C type charger for 10euros... Now it cost me 370, so would've saved 50euros on teh total, about. But doesn't really matter, then it would've only been a handheld with the option to buy an adapter, while now they could actually call it a homeconsole.

As for the defect docs that scratch the screen...
I just think it is up to sloppy users, there are 2 plastic "rails" on the inside of the dock, which are supposed to keep it in place, which are a bit wider than the screen on the tablet, so I am just going to assume people do not handle their stuff with care.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Does that mean they were charging $30 for the cables alone? Nintendo, you're diabolical.
In my country buying those 2 cables from an electronic store goes closer to 50euros, that's going with about 1m -1.5m cables of the cheapest sort.

I buy my HDMi cables from stores but just bought a USB-C type charger for 10euros via the internet, I guess I could get an HDMI cable for about 15? so that would only save me 5 in the end.
I think the pricing is quite fair, they charge the same as an electronic store in Finland. Apparently that's a lot in the rest of teh world looking at the comments...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Guffe said:
I buy my HDMi cables from stores but just bought a USB-C type charger for 10euros via the internet, I guess I could get an HDMI cable for about 15? so that would only save me 5 in the end. .
Amazon does HDMI 2.0 for ?6 and half that for 1.0. A HDMI 2.0 for the switch is overkill.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
mad825 said:
Guffe said:
I buy my HDMi cables from stores but just bought a USB-C type charger for 10euros via the internet, I guess I could get an HDMI cable for about 15? so that would only save me 5 in the end. .
Amazon does HDMI 2.0 for ?6 and half that for 1.0. A HDMI 2.0 for the switch is overkill.
Yeah, but if I go to Amazon that's a 15dollar postage charge so i save nothing in the end.
We don't have amazon in Finland, and our taxes are high on products like electronics and cars, so we pay a lot more than for example in the states.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Nintendo should replace their faulty fucking docks instead of charge their customers $30 for a new one. Nintendo fans are masochists.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Pyrian said:
Does it use standard power and AV cables?
You'd have to double check for comparable amps/volts for the AC plugin, but otherwise it's just USB-C and HDMI