Here's Your First Death Note Trailer (and Release Date)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Here's Your First Death Note Trailer (and Release Date)

<youtube=zS9UW2xjdqE>

The American adaptation of the popular Japanese series now has a trailer.

It's been a long time coming, but we finally have a trailer and release date for the American Death Note movie.

Of course, the project has been in the works for years and years. You may remember back in 2009 when Paper Towns [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/zac+efron][/i].

The film will follow Light after he comes into possession of a book that claims to have the power to kill anyone whose name is written inside it.

After changing attached directors a couple of times, Blair Witch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/adam+wingard][/i].

Death Note is scheduled to be released on Netflix on August 25, 2017.

[gallery=7079]

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Other than the Death Note its self, nothing about this looks like Death Note.

I'm looking forward to watching Ghost in the Shell, but I don't think I'll be watching this movie.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Light being pursued by the cops, and him being in the middle of a Ferris wheel collapsing, two things that do not happen in the manga/anime... Dunno how I feel about that. I get that creating some original content might be interesting, but I don't like the look of it so far. If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I can't wait to see their interpretation of Ryuk. The Japanese version went for a 1:1 ratio of the manga and it looked odd. This version is clearly taking some liberties, like what the hell is going on with that ferris wheel?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table
Might be Light trying to cover up some evidence. Light went hooded to get close to a target in the Manga (as you may know) so that wouldn't be too far off.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Elvis Starburst said:
Light being pursued by the cops, and him being in the middle of a Ferris wheel collapsing, two things that do not happen in the manga/anime... Dunno how I feel about that. I get that creating some original content might be interesting, but I don't like the look of it so far. If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table
Going by the IMDB that is indeed L.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bobular said:
Other than the Death Note its self, nothing about this looks like Death Note.

I'm looking forward to watching Ghost in the Shell, but I don't think I'll be watching this movie.
I was thinking the exact same thing. If it wasn't for the Death Note itself I wouldn't know this was supposed to be Death Note, well that and the title card.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Hey look a live-action anime adaptation that no one asked for and always suck no matter who tries to pull it off.

It must be Thursday.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Zydrate said:
Might be Light trying to cover up some evidence. Light went hooded to get close to a target in the Manga (as you may know) so that wouldn't be too far off.
He never ran from any cops chasing him though, so I'm a bit worried about how they'll handle the scene. The ferris wheel already has me terrified for "liberties" taken.

Rednog said:
Going by the IMDB that is indeed L.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Drained of all of its eastern drama and suspense, and filled with western action and violence. Can they just TRY to preserve the spirit of the original, at least a little bit?

Tanis said:
Exactly what I'm talking about. I love this corny shit - I don't want my Death Note to be turned into Taken 4.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

I didn't enjoy Death Note as much as everyone else but I consider that a positive, I'm not that attached to the material so I'm more intrigued than dismayed by the western-ization although I understand why that would be an obvious turn-off for fans.

And hey, it takes place in my hometown, or close enough, that's kinda neat.

No matter what though, Willem Dafoe is a freaking awesome choice to voice Ryuk.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Seems like they replaced mindgames and suspense with collapsing ferris wheels and cop chases.
No thanks.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
loa said:
Seems like they replaced mindgames and suspense with collapsing ferris wheels and cop chases.
No thanks.
Thats what I'm worried about, turning Death Note from a mystery/thriller sort of thing into just a generic action movie

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
I am not a fan of the original. Too much Deus Ex Machina and Xanatos Gambit bullshittery for my taste. But since hard core fans seem to hate this, it might be worth a try.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Making this into a movie will lose so much of the charm and interest of the anime series. My draw to death note was how L and Light played off one another for the better part of a seasons. It's a show about mind games.

I don't see how you cram this into what is presumably a 2 hour movie and make it work.

If you were going to go live action with this I'd have preferred the Stranger Things approach. You could tighten up the story and fit it into an 8 or 10 hour season rather than 2 seasons I think. But a movie cuts away too much.

Having said that I'll definitely check out the film just for curiosity sake. I'm going into with absolutely no positive expectations so it's basically impossible to be disappointed, lol.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Looks like your average action movie with a hint of mystery magical nonsense. Whatever, I don't even remember what happens in the anime.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
If it's a netflix one I'll watch it sure, but I don't have too high hopes.
As with most manga/anime/gaming related movies, go in with an open mind.