Ubisoft: For Honor Not Designed For Players to Unlock Everything

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ubisoft: For Honor Not Designed For Players to Unlock Everything

In response to criticism on how expensive For Honor's microtransactions can be, Ubisoft says it never intended for players to be able to unlock everything.

Last week, a redditor [https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5zuqis/logical_look_at_steel/] analyzed For Honor's currency options - both real world money and the freely earned "steel" - to see how long it would take to unlock everything in the game. He calculated that players would have to play for either $2.5 years, or shell out a whopping $732 dollars to achieve this goal. In response, Ubisoft says that For Honor was not designed for players to be able to unlock everything, and instead expects players to focus on one or two characters.

"We never had an intention for you to unlock everything in the game," game director Damien Keiken said in this week's episode of Warrior's Den [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yJagD4FRE&t=24m01s]. "For us, that doesn't really make any sense. It's like in an RPG. You know in World of Warcraft you would never try to unlock all the things for all the characters of the whole game."

"Our intention, what we forecasted, is most players would play one to three characters," he added, stating that the cosmetic unlocks available for each character were intended as a kind of "end-game" - something players would collect after weeks of play.

In regards to players who want to play more than three characters, Keiken said that "we don't see players doing this in our game, therefore it's true that they don't want that."

Source: Ubisoft [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yJagD4FRE&t=24m01s]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
And this, Ubisoft, is why I don't own your fucking game. On top of other reasons.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wow, they really don't seem to know how gamers like to play games. Some might only play one or two but most that want to be good play all.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
On one hand, their full priced game is full of free-to-play crap. They certainly aren't alone in that, as any shooter has the same pile of random cosmetic (or even non-cosmetic) unlocks following the same system of "Grind X amount of experience to unlock, or unlock with a credit system" (which isn't really an excuse).

On the other, they aren't really mistating things. Even if you played every hero, you would never need every unlock. You can only equip 1 of 12 or so outfits at a time. There's only something like 10 logo points while there's 50 or more available, etc. You can also choose to get the outfits/logos you want, as opposed to Overwatch or PvZ, where you might actually have to unlock everything to finally get your sought after look from the gambling system.

Nov 28, 2007
Steven Bogos said:
In regards to players who want to play more than three characters, Keiken said that "we don't see players doing this in our game, therefore it's true that they don't want that."
You don't see it because you JUST ADMITTED that you designed the game to not allow for that. Flat out saying that you designed the game to prevent people from unlocking everything...kind of undermines the point of having the things to unlock. I, for one, have no interest in this game, because I absolutely hate it when a developer designs a bunch of stuff, then tells me "I don't expect you to actually get all of this stuff."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Doesn't Overwatch have the same bullshit though? I'm sure this was brought up and some people were defending it mercilessly.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Which would work as a perfectly fine system... if there weren't microtransactions out the arse resulting in a piss-poor income rate for Steel.

Cosmetics as an endgame, I'm fine with, I'm even fine with the whole 'not meant to unlock all characters' thing (since there is a lot of characters, and given they all have totally different playstyles to learn you're really not going to be 'endgaming' with all 12), lord knows I don't know how to play endgame with all the WoW classes, but... fucking, there's a 99 dollar microtransaction pack. You don't put something like that in your game without expecting people to cave because cosmetics are in the thousands and you earn all of 10ish Steel per match. This is less a 'WoW gameplay inspired move' and more of a 'We're desperate for the kind of money GTAV pulls in on it's shitty microtransactions'.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I kind of knew this already, and I don't know why everyone is so angry.
Their logic is fairly reasonable.

goofsg

Feb 9, 2017
sad, i was considering buying for honor at some point now i won t.screw ubisoft im never buying one of their games again after this.
they have no idea what they are doing and can not run a company. this is horrible for honor has so much potential .but its all wasted now

goofsg

Feb 9, 2017
Wrex Brogan said:
Which would work as a perfectly fine system... if there weren't microtransactions out the arse resulting in a piss-poor income rate for Steel.

Cosmetics as an endgame, I'm fine with, I'm even fine with the whole 'not meant to unlock all characters' thing (since there is a lot of characters, and given they all have totally different playstyles to learn you're really not going to be 'endgaming' with all 12), lord knows I don't know how to play endgame with all the WoW classes, but... fucking, there's a 99 dollar microtransaction pack. You don't put something like that in your game without expecting people to cave because cosmetics are in the thousands and you earn all of 10ish Steel per match. This is less a 'WoW gameplay inspired move' and more of a 'We're desperate for the kind of money GTAV pulls in on it's shitty microtransactions'.
i mean considering that all heroes are free and the stuff is just cosmetic it doesnt matter.they are just costumes it is encouraged that you play a little of all heroes .if you are on a map there is going to be a hero that does well on that map and you want to play that hero .

Vinsin

Aug 12, 2011
As someone with over 100 hours in the game; it's honestly perfectly reasonable.
The only things that take a "Long" time to obtain are purely cosmetic. That's right, you got it.. pointless stuff. Not even major cosmetics- no no; all the armor styles in the game are readily given out and only a few truly unique, standout designs are behind long-term play AND are capable of being paid for.

That is to say, the only things you even have the OPTION to pay for are Idle special effects (Wind swirling around you, Fire blazing from your shoulders, Cherry Blossoms, Sunray) Emote special effects (Same as before) & Execution special effects (same as before) -- all pointless aside from minor eyecandy + a couple new executions and a couple emotes. Again, all just eyecandy and most of which can be obtained through just regular play-time if you decide you want one.

The only cosmetics that CANNOT be purchased at all but must be earned through time - are reputation designs & patterns (like if you want a scorpion on your chest plate in that one particular x color/x color combination instead of some other really cool design in y color / x color design that you can get early on.)

They don't even put what I'd say are the best colors late game, my favorites for the most part are all within the first 5 Reputations, most of which are even within the first 2 (which can be done across all characters in about.. I'd wager.. 350 hours if I had to guess.

- again, heres the kicker.. it's all just cosmetic. The only real 'impact' stuff would be Gear which alters stats, however gear is made easily accessable and I haven't put in a penny toward it and still have literally maxed out gear with tons of scrap just sitting around; and it makes it so whatever (one) stat is raised, drops one of the other two stats on it equally. Basically creating a situation where if you wanted to be 100% offense, the defense stat on the gear will be 0% and the stamina 50% 'effectively'; so while you may kill someone in three heavy attacks, your likely to die to them just as fast.

So even Rep 0 characters are absolutely capable of killing a rep 30 if they are in fact of equal skill on their character (with the exception x class may be better against y class, naturally.)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Doesn't Overwatch have the same bullshit though? I'm sure this was brought up and some people were defending it mercilessly.
Overwatch unlockables have 0 gameplay effect. For Honor unlockables enhance your characater. If you don't farm the unlockables you aren't on an even playing field with players who have farmed or paid for the best gear.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Xsjadoblayde said:
While what Overwatch does is bullshit, For Honor is worse. In Overwatch it's mainly cosmetics. It's still bullshit, but if you really don't care about cosmetics, you can just play the game as is. For Honor's items affects gameplay, meaning there are Pay 2 Win elements in there. In fact, I've seen quite a few videos talking about how ridiculously fucking overpowered you can be with the best items, AND how matchmaking is not good at matching up people of equal level.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Overwatch unlockables have 0 gameplay effect. For Honor unlockables enhance your characater. If you don't farm the unlockables you aren't on an even playing field with players who have farmed or paid for the best gear.
I thought that was only in Dominion mode?

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Of course they say this - the PR hustle dance continues. It is unfortunate they left out the part "... but we sure would like for you to try! Ha Ha!" Next they want us to post the meme shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Why does this sort of thing exist in $60 games. Look either sell us DLC and expacs or... oh wait. I get it. You want to keep the player count inflated with grinbders so the whales have someone to show off to. Well played.

Vinsin

Aug 12, 2011
erttheking said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
For Honor's items affects gameplay, meaning there are Pay 2 Win elements in there. In fact, I've seen quite a few videos talking about how ridiculously fucking overpowered you can be with the best items, AND how matchmaking is not good at matching up people of equal level.
This is blatant crap, to be perfectly honest. Gear maxing to 108 is done within the first 3-5 reps, so fairly quick - with absolutely no money put in. Nevermind the fact gear is next to meaningless against someone who's truly better. (Also, editted note: you can't even get max gear until you reach .. rep 2 or 3, whichever it is - you don't even start finding that tier until that point, no matter how much money you put in. By which point you' can have saved enough steel in your time 'leveling up' to buy crates outright when max gear becomes open to you (or) just find it naturally. I have so much gear at this point I've had to clear it out from 'max inventory' issues.)

The gear barely offers a difference at all OUTSIDE of "Revenge" gear, which doesn't even take effect in all honesty UNLESS you gang up on said person or feed them block after block after block or go out of your way to injure them to quickly when it's clear they've blocked enough and are likely close enough to get a injury revenge gain. Plus, of course, if they did stack revenge gear they are at 0% in other non-revenge stat areas

If you make it a 2v1 and that '1' is someone who stacked revenge gear, he'll become a god if he's also skilled enough to block and maintain the situation (eg. doesn't overestimate his capability, doesn't let himself get thrown off a cliff.) and if your smart, you'll just roll out and wait for his revenge to wear off and play defensively, blocking everything in which case his revenge is wasted especially if your team is smart enough to you know, do the same.

If someone uses gear to stack say offense to 100%, they lose defense or stamina down to 0%. Play to what they've lost. If they stack defense, you can make more mistakes without being so punished (no offense) or abuse their lack of stamina. Fact is, I can go in without gear and still wipe an entire team of gear 108's. The game is entirely about outplaying your opponent in which, if you truly are someone with faster reflexes and outplay your opponents you will regularly come out of a fight without even being hit once simply because you perfect blocked and parried them straight into oblivion; with 0 gear I'm mid-grade everything, which also means I'm not at 0% at something in that gear slot

so out play them as you have to do against ANYONE, use your dazing attacks more often if it seems like they're 0% debuff recovery, your regular attacks are going to massively hurt them from having 0% defense or you can drain their stamina in an instant from proper play, you can out run them for area buffs, and use your feats more often as an example never mind the fact if you simply perform good blocks and dodges and careful - not reckless - attacks you can come out of ANY fight unscathed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vinsin said:
You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical. How quick is quick exactly?

"Unless you gang up on said person." You mean how every single game of not 1v1 For Honor ends?

And yes, I'm sure that this gear is meaningless to someone who has memorized every single aspect of For Honor and knows the mechanics, meta and control scheme inside and out, but that's probably 10% of the player base at max, and the remaining are going to get alienated. Except not even then because I have seen some of the stupid shit that the game pulls. Can you please tell me how this is not broken?

https://youtu.be/vxKEpbQU6-8?t=21m5s

I see none of what you mention. I don't see 100% offense but 0% defense. I see maxed out offense, nearly maxed out defense, and no stamina cost reduction. Not no stamina, no stamina cost reduction. Something that's utterly offset by the fact that there's equipment out there that maxes out stamina regen and nearly maxes out block damage resistance at the barely noticeable cost of faster revive speed, on top of maxed out speed, nearly maxed out block damage, and what's the stat that takes a penalty there? How much health you get back from executions. Oh, and he also has a longer revenge mode from his equipment, deals more damage in revenge mode, gets revenge mode faster, his feats cool down faster, can get revenge mode by blocking and-no, yeah no. This is not fucking balanced.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
At first I thought that my immediate facepalm was warranted..and it is, but for a different reason than I initially suspected.
It's not that they don't know their own audience, the gamers, and saying stupid stuff.
It is because they do and even rely on that need to unlock everything and be the best.
If they did think that no one would want everything, they wouldn't be selling it for a total sum of 800$ now would they?

They probably ever took into account those fanboy defenders to come up with reasons for any greed that might peek out from under their visage.
Generally speaking, some gamers need to own up to the fact that continuing to support shady practices will doom the entire gaming niche in the future.
Stop buying over-priced, unnecessary and useless in-game microtransactions.
Stop pre-ordering games you've only heard the name off or carefully selected material from people trying the get your money.
Stop supporting DRM which will rob us of gaming history and make you tie a leash to your own neck.