New Nintendo Wii Virtual Console Games Revealed

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
New Nintendo Wii Virtual Console Games Revealed

Once again the ESRB has listed upcoming Virtual Console games for the Wii before Nintendo has announced them. In related news, Nintendo 64 Virtual Console games will not support rumble.

While the newly rated Virtual Console games do not indicate release dates of any kind, this list is as good as it gets short of an announcement from Nintendo that the games are coming.

- Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES)
- Kirby's Super Star (Super NES)
- Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
- Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64)
- Super Metroid (Super NES)
- Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
- Excitebike (NES)
- Ice Climber (NES)
- Dr. Mario (NES)
- Mario Brothers (NES)
- Ice Hockey (NES)
- Soccer (NES)

In other news, CVG reports [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148897&skip=yes] that Nintendo 64 Virtual Console games will not support rumble, even though the feature originated on the console.

Source: IGN [http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744751p1.html]

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
That is kinda sad - Wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to keep the support there - make calls to check for the pack check to see if you've got a GC controller attached and you're good. *Shrug*

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Ah, but you're not using the Gamecube controller for the virtual console. This is an exciting list, though - I haven't been able to find copies of many of these games.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Bongo Bill said:
Ah, but you're not using the Gamecube controller for the virtual console. .
???

What exactly do you mean by this? From what I can tell, you can either use the classic controller OR a gamecube controller to play virtual console games. As such, there really isn't a reason that rumble shouldn't be supported using a GC controller.

Well thats not exactly true, the reasoning would be that the classic controller doesn't support rumble and neither does the wavebird. Taking this into account, along with the fact that the classic controller cannot be used to play gamecube games and it would seem that most people would realise they are better off buying a standard gamecube controller than a classic controller. This would not only be quite the opposite of nintendo's new wireless philosophy but would also increase demand for a product that I'm sure nintendo would like to stop producing.

Its not a good reason, I'm sure it would have taken the guys at nintendo about a week to write the code required for N64 rumble support, but its a reason.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
As I recall, you only use the classic shell, and can't use the Gamecube controller for VC games.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
It seemed for a while that the GC controller could be used for VC games
virtual console details from joystiq

However, it now seems that this wont always be the case

Joystiq reads the Wii manual

I guess we'll find out soon enough.