First Look - Tomb Raider Reboot

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
First Look - Tomb Raider Reboot

Warner Bros. shares the first look - and first details - for the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot.

Warner Bros. shared the first look at actress Alicia Vikander, who will be assuming the role of Lara Croft in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, on Twitter today.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/WarnerBrosUK/status/846398634388262913]

There's also an official synopsis, which you can check out below:

"Seven years after the disappearance of her father, 21-year-old Lara has refused to take the reins of his global business empire, instead working as a bike courier in London while taking college classes. Eventually she becomes inspired to investigate her father's disappearance and travels to his last-known location: a tomb on an island somewhere off the coast of Japan. Suddenly, the stakes couldn't be higher for Lara, who-against the odds and armed with only her sharp mind, blind faith and inherently stubborn spirit-must learn to push herself beyond her limits as she journeys into the unknown. If she survives this perilous adventure, it could be the making of her, earning her the name Tomb Raider."
Speaking with Vanity Fair [http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/tomb-raider-lara-croft-alicia-vikander-exclusive-first-look?mbid=social_twitter], Vikander said that she was "really excited" when she was asked to take on the role of the iconic character. "I think people can identify with her for lots of different reasons, but for me I very much see her as a model for many young women. She's trying to carve out her place in the world and connect her future with her past. She also has a fantastic mix of traits-tough, smart, vulnerable, plus she's kick ass! She is also uniquely different to other characters I have taken on previously. It's a lot of fun trying to get into Lara's head and the challenge of getting to grips with such a physical role is an element of this project that I find an absolute thrill."

Tomb Raider is set to release on March 16, 2018.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This article confused me at first, mainly because I didn't realize a new Tomb Raider movie was even in the works. So far it looks like...they're going for a film adaptation of the reboot game series so...yeah? It seemed to work really nicely as a game (I've never played it but I recall it being well-liked) and I do recall it being a much more down-to-earth kind of narrative so I guess this might work better as a movie. Can't really tell by one image of course but I guess it could be good.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I suppose by 'first look' Warner mean 'first official look after the ubiquitous leaks'. The first actual looks were weeks ago.

Re the synopsis: hm, didn't know they were also adapting the setting. I wonder how supernatural or cult-y the final story will be, and whether it'll be Yamatai or something different.

Fingers perpetually crossed it won't completely suck, as I loved the reboot.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
You really ought to put the word 'film' somewhere in the headline. I first thought they had rebooted the game series again, as Yahtzee expressed a belief they would do after noting that the first two post-reboot stories have told the same story.

Anyway, about the movie: it doesn't sound bad. Sounds based on the first game, but it sounds like the premise of a good movie.

Last year however there were quite a few adaptations of video games that came out, none of which got past the 'decent' mark. So I expect nothing.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Something about "earning her the name Tomb Raider" makes me snicker. Like there was some sort of federation waiting to bestow the title, once proper formalities were cleared, perhaps with a certificate and plaque.

"Now, I shall be called Tomb Raider!"

"Ooh. Grave robbing? Is that really how you want to be introduced at parties? Odd choice, that, luv."

"No, no, not grave robbing! Tomb raiding!"

"What's the difference?"

"One is done with a shovel in the dead of night; the other involves a tank top, a grappling hook, and enough ordnance to keep both sides of a third-world civil war raging for a good six months."

"To-may-to, to-mah-to, dear."

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Didn't we already had a reboot recently? Oh... a movie reboot. Well, I wonder if they will follow the recent games' plot, or try something else. I haven't played the most recent games, so I wouldn't be able to tell.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I give this a 99% chance of being a terrible movie. Based of course on previous video game film adaptations.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
CritialGaming said:
I give this a 99% chance of being a terrible movie. Based of course on previous video game film adaptations.
I have some hopes for this one; Alicia Vikander has some acting chops, at the very least. She was good in Ex Machina, if you ask me.

We'll see, but I might spare a glance or two at how this one develops instead of writing it off as crap from the get-go.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hopefully she plays Lara better than "Oh my God I stabbed that guy to death and stole his belongings, it was so horrible and terrifying, I'm going to half cry now"

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
I have some hopes for this one; Alicia Vikander has some acting chops, at the very least. She was good in Ex Machina, if you ask me.

We'll see, but I might spare a glance or two at how this one develops instead of writing it off as crap from the get-go.
Oh I am TOTALLY going to see it. I just dont have any hope that it will be good. LOL

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
iHAVE this nagging feeling it's going to be like the Assassin's Creed or Power Ranger movie.

A pretty film, but boring and generic as hell.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Screenshot doesn't look bad, casting doesn't look bad either. I'm cautiously optimistic. But what do I know? I liked the old Tomb Raider movies with Angelina Jolie.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Reading that interview makes it sound like the actress is not even aware that there have been two Tomb Raider films done already. That or she's hoping her acting won't be compared to those movies. (yes I'm aware it's based off the reboot origin games which came after the original time bs origin games for original Lara but I still enjoy the older games than the new ones.)

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
My only problem with the game reboot was how divorced the story and dialogue was from the gameplay.

"I'm not sure I can do this Routh," Lara says after easily, and rather brutally in some cases, dispatching 20 well armed and desperate men.

So I'm holding out a small measure of hope that the movie can bring those two elements a bit closer than the game managed.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
I'm immediately put off by the excerpt:

"Seven years after the disappearance of her father, 21-year-old Lara has refused to take the reins of his global business empire, instead working as a bike courier in London while taking college classes."

She's the heiress to an empire and she just tools around as a bike courier in college? Just seems like a really ham-fisted way of making a character more "grounded." Like she would have any semblance of normality or grounded character.

Hope we get a trailer so I can get a better feel for it, but right now it feels like that Wonder Woman tv pilot where Wonder Woman impaled a dude on a piece of metal in one scene, ran a business empire in another and had a small apartment where she could "be normal."

Edit: It's annoying to see an extraordinary character be presented as ordinary.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
"But this version of Lara comes with a new backstory, and a new motivation for her adventures: seven years after the disappearance of her father, 21-year-old Lara has refused to take the reins of his global business empire, instead working as a bike courier in London while taking college classes. Eventually she becomes inspired to investigate her father?s disappearance and travels to his last-known location: a tomb on an island somewhere off the coast of Japan."

Anyway, really? Billionaire kid doesn't want anything to do with father's empire, rides bike instead. Great. College kid on a bicycle has to survive against heavily armed men. Calling it now, her father is alive, enslaved in a mine somewhere where the bad guys are trying to extract some mysterious goo/mineral/crystal/plant/ancient necklace that will eventually turn them all into monsters. Lara will save her father and together they will gun down even more heavily armed men/monstrosities.