Activision Wants to Create a Call of Duty Cinematic Universe, Starting with a Movie Next Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Activision Wants to Create a Call of Duty Cinematic Universe, Starting with a Movie Next Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1394/1394744.jpgThe newest cinematic universe could be based on one of the biggest video games of all time: Call of Duty.

We've seen plenty of video games make the jump to the world of movies, but most - some would say all - have been less than stellar. Now it sounds like Activision is about to take the plunge with one of its biggest franchises: Call of Duty.

Activision Blizzard Studios was founded back in late 2015, with president Nick Van Dyk joined a couple of months later by Hollywood producer Stacey Sher as co-president. The announced plan for the studio was to work on movies based on the Diablo and StarCraft franchises, but it now sounds like it may be focusing on creating a Marvel-like cinematic universe based on the CoD series.

In an interview with The Guardian [https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/05/call-of-duty-franchise-activision-blizzard-next-disney-marvel-film-franchise], Sher said, "We put together this group of writers to talk about where we were going. There'll be a film that feels more like Black Ops, the story behind the story. The Modern Warfare series looks at what it's like to fight a war with the eyes of the world on you. And then maybe something that is more of a hybrid, where you are looking at private, covert operations, while a public operation is going on."

Van Dyk added, "It's going to have the same sort of high-adrenaline, high-energy aesthetic as the game, but it's not a literal adaptation. It's a much more broad and inclusive, global in scope... a big, tentpole Marvel-esque movie."

The plan is apparently to make the cinematic universe that is inspired by the games, rather than using the actual plots from the games. According the The Guardian article, there are already several scripts, and they were created with research involving military experts and retired soldiers.

The first Call of Duty film could hit theaters as early next year, and if it's well-received, we could see more movies on a regular basis. It just remains to be seen if Activision can find the elusive formula that makes a good video game movie.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
When I think story, Half Life, Bioshock, The Last of Us and Call of Duty are the names that instantly come to mind.

Oh wait...

Good luck fellas cause this certainly feels like a "attach our name to a generic action script" kind of a movie in the making.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Cinematric uni...you know that a cinematic univers typically implies that the story of one franchise is linked/ties in with the story of another. COd doesn't tie into anything that's not call of duty. Unless they're going to dromp the bombshell that there's a cross over with WoW...

Seriously... this is predictable for movie studios. One movie studio does it well, and 10 more do it and fail miserably.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Since they aren't basing it on the games isn't it just going to be another generic military movie? Also, I sympathise with Marter who will eventually have to sit through this movie to review it.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
Cinematric uni...you know that a cinematic univers typically implies that the story of one franchise is linked/ties in with the story of another. COd doesn't tie into anything that's not call of duty. Unless they're going to dromp the bombshell that there's a cross over with WoW...

Seriously... this is predictable for movie studios. One movie studio does it well, and 10 more do it and fail miserably.
Call of Duty stories hardly tie into themselves internally..

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Chaosian said:
MonsterCrit said:

Call of Duty stories hardly tie into themselves internally..
There are stories in call of duty?

all joking aside......the only stories that remotely interested me was the modern warfare 1 and 2 stories.......they wont make a good movie out of it though.

....ghost would be a cool character to make a movie out of but he's......well....ya know.....a ghost.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This sounds as awesome as making a movie out of Tetris or Battleship. What could possibly go wrong?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Saltyk said:
This sounds as awesome as making a movie out of Tetris or Battleship. What could possibly go wrong?
Well, this sounds like it will be crap, but then again, they made a movie out of the board game Clue and it was amazing. Maybe they will stumblefuck their way into something cool.

I mean imaging if they decided to play it tongue in cheek like most of their multi ads. Could be fun.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
You know I have jumped to defend the We Happy Few movie and Assassins Creed series, not in execution (because we know they are most likely going to be awful), but in concept, since many publishers try to sell their big IP to whatever medium might be slightly interested, this is nothing new under the sun... but this is a little much.

Not the movie adaptation. War movies is a genre so trite that they can make a half competent one, slap the name and call it a day. I am guessing they saw Black Hawk Down, We were Soldiers, American Sniper and The Expendables, and thought they could do it as well... but the idea of it being called a "cinematic universe". If they make a series of movies based on the same concept, it is not a universe, it is a franchise.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Worgen said:
Saltyk said:
Well, this sounds like it will be crap, but then again, they made a movie out of the board game Clue and it was amazing. Maybe they will stumblefuck their way into something cool.

I mean imaging if they decided to play it tongue in cheek like most of their multi ads. Could be fun.
Alternatively, they could say "to hell with it - most people that care about CoD and Story at the same time want Zombies, so here's a movie as part of the Blundell-Verse Zombie Storyline"

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
If you will excuse me, I am going to go vomit continuously for 30 minutes then spend 2 hours watching puppy videos purging this totally from my being. Hopefully, then, I can actually be disappointed next time the entertainment industries decide to combine in order to lower the bar.

They're like a shit voltron made of focus groups.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Sounds like they're slowly getting desperate. I mean, werent the game sales slowly getting into decline?

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Didn't they once say they didn't want to make a Call Of Duty because they feared that it'll ruin the brand's rep?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Ubisoft couldn't get it right with Assassin's creed which had a fairly unique premise. You're trying to make a "cinematic universe"... off generic shooters? Often set in WW2? or are you hoping to get something going with the future type games? Either way, may as well be called "shooty Mcbang bang" the movie.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
LOL annual FPS who's premise is to introduce throw away generic characters and then have them spend the entire game gunning down a host of generic FPS bad guys wants to not only release a movie (DOOM by the way) but they want to build a CU around the concept.

Someone check Activision's head medicine, guide them gently back to their room and make sure they are tucked in with a nice warm mug of coco.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
....No...Just, no.
Listen to the feedback and give this one up before you lose a lot of...Wait..Hmm, nevermind.
It might be a wake up call for them and force them to innovate the generic shooter genre.
That or go bust. Either works.

Though I'm calling it now. The movie (and universe) will fail spectacularly.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Jesus christ. They'd be the most generic of war movies, we have enough of them.