A new Overwatch Comic Takes us Back in Time

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
A new Overwatch Comic Takes us Back in Time

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1394/1394748.png
The new comic tells of an impeding Omnic crisis that the Overwatch team isn't allowed to interfere with.

In prepeartion of the a "motion book" comic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169964-Overwatch-Announcement-Teased-Details-Expected-Next-Week] that takes us back in time to when Overwatch was a big deal.

Unlike previously release comics, this one is quite a bit longer and has some fancy animations and sound effects. The comic centers around an impending Omnic crisis taking place in London, with the British PM ordering Overwatch not to interfere. We see Reaper back when he was still Gabriel Reyes, Solider 47 back when he was Commander Morrison, and Tracer when she was first inducted to active duty. It's a glimpse to the past of Overwatch, which may give us some hints to its future.

Of course, by the end of the comic Morrison ends up going against the PM, and we even see where Tracer's signature catch phrase comes from.

Many believe the announcement will pertain to a new character, a new in-game event, or a new map. I guess we'll find out next week, but for now, enjoy the comic!

Source: Blizzard [https://reader.madefire.com/work/OVERWATCH-UPRISING/read/11]

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Combine this with the announcement of a new hero being well into development, I think it is safe to say we may get an Omnic villain added to the line up. Something to do with this group Null Sector.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
... and into a world where still none of this matters, because it's just a match-based online shooter.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I think it's safe to say that the new event we're getting is going to be the mission to stop Null Sector. Tracer, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, and Mercy will be the available characters. As to what the actual mission is, I'm not sure. There looks to be some kind of bomb in the panel where they are sitting in the ship, so perhaps it will be a retooled payload map against AI Omnic opponents with that giant anti-aircraft gun serving as a boss. I also bet that most, if not all, of the outfits we see them wearing will be made into skins. I'd like to get my hands on that Torbjorn and Mercy skin, as well as Cadet Tracer.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Alfredo Jones said:
I think it's safe to say that the new event we're getting is going to be the mission to stop Null Sector. Tracer, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, and Mercy will be the available characters. As to what the actual mission is, I'm not sure. There looks to be some kind of bomb in the panel where they are sitting in the ship, so perhaps it will be a retooled payload map against AI Omnic opponents with that giant anti-aircraft gun serving as a boss. I also bet that most, if not all, of the outfits we see them wearing will be made into skins.
Yes, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Pickapok said:
Combine this with the announcement of a new hero being well into development, I think it is safe to say we may get an Omnic villain added to the line up. Something to do with this group Null Sector.
New villain? Doomfist, Omnic Supremacist, enforcer for the Null Sector!

"Humanity is obsolete!"

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Woo, new skins! And I've actually saved a decent amount of coins this time!

Johnny Novgorod said:
... and into a world where none of this matters, because it's just a match-based online shooter.
It might just matter if it's going to be PvE. Blizzard's done it before with the Junkenstein event, so it's not unprecedented. I'm guessing it's going to be similar to TF2's Mann Vs. Machine, with a small team of players pitted against hordes of omnics.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I'm guessing the event itself will be a PvE like Junkenstein's Revenge with the playable characters being Torb, Reinhardt, Tracer, and Mercy, and that it will build up to a new character reveal

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I just noticed in the comic that Genji has the Blackwatch symbol on his chest. Perhaps his experience working under Reyes lead to him leaving on his quest for self-discovery?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I'm going to call it, that there is going to be a new batch of "classic" overwatch skins for heroes upcoming like the comic. Mercy, Torbjorn, Reinheart, and Tracer (because she needs more skins).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thurston said:
New villain? Doomfist, Omnic Supremacist, enforcer for the Null Sector!

"Humanity is obsolete!"
Doomfist is actually anti-omnic, so if anything, he'd be against null sector.

I think the idea of an omnic villain as a hero is good though, as the two omnics we have on the roster are on the "good" end of the moral spectrum (or at least neutral in Bastion's case).

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Kreett said:
Soldier 47? Really?
It must've been back during a time when Morrison used to break out the garrote wire and preferred to shoot people with a pair of shiny silenced pistols rather than a rifle.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
dragongit said:
I'm going to call it, that there is going to be a new batch of "classic" overwatch skins for heroes upcoming like the comic. Mercy, Torbjorn, Reinheart, and Tracer (because she needs more skins).
Also, I'd be very surprised if we don't get the unarmoured Genji as a skin too

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Has there been any word on them putting out a collection of these comics in a trade? I hate reading comics on the computer.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
SirSullymore said:
Has there been any word on them putting out a collection of these comics in a trade? I hate reading comics on the computer.
After the First Strike GN got cancelled, its probably not a priority.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Windknight said:
SirSullymore said:
After the First Strike GN got cancelled, its probably not a priority.
Grrr, come on Blizz! There's money to be made!