Blizzard Officially Announces the Next Overwatch Event

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Blizzard Officially Announces the Next Overwatch Event

Blizzard has officially announced the newest Overwatch event - Uprising.

In a post today, Blizzard officially lifted the veil on the newest event coming to its multiplayer team shooter Overwatch - Uprising.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/851859905292058625]

Uprising is a new cooperative PvE mode that takes place 7 Overwatch year ago, with the team attempting to halt the omnic uprising in King's Row. The event kicks off today, April 11, and will run through May 1.

"Drop into the action and play as one of the four charged with completing this critical objective," the description reads. The mode allows you to play as either Tracer, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, or Mercy in King's Row as you team up against a "rogue group of omnics." The event will also include over 100 new items, including new skins, sprays, emotes, and more.

There's also a video that details the story, which you can check out below.

Uprising ties in to a comic released earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169990-Overwatch-Comic-Omnic-Crisis] which takes place in the past, centering around an impending Omnic crisi taking place in London. In the comic, Reaper was still Gabriel Reyes, Solider was Commander Morrison, and Tracer was brand new to active duty.

[gallery=7190]

The announcement comes after a week of leaks - including the trailer, which was prematurely posted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170042-Overwatchs-Insurrection-Event-Trailer-Leaked-Ahead-of-Reveal#&gid=gallery_7184&pid=1] by PlayStation France to YouTube earlier this week.

In other Overwatch news, game director Jeff Kaplan recently confirmed that the game's next hero arrived last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169986-Overwatch-Next-Hero-Very-Far-Ahead-in-Development].

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I love these PvE events. They show a lot of potential for a great single-player campaign. The Legendary difficulty is no joke though. Much harder than Junkenstein's Revenge.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Every time I think they've made the best highlight intro they've ever - and will ever - make, they always manage to top their previous effort.

At the time, I said the Widow christmas highlight intro was the best one ever, buuuut then they later made the Chinese event Roadhog highlight intro - which I claimed was the best one ever.

And now... now they've made a D.Va selfie highlight intro, which I legitimately reckon beats all the others.
I'm wondering if they're gonna be able to top this...

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Bit annoyed that they got rid of 1v1, 3v3, CTF, etc. Arcade is looking very bare and barren right now.

I get that they want people to play the new brawl event, but disabling the other Arcade game modes goes a bit far imo.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
I love these PvE events. They show a lot of potential for a great single-player campaign. The Legendary difficulty is no joke though. Much harder than Junkenstein's Revenge.
Seconded. This is my first PvE mode for the game (I started playing shortly after Halloween) and I'm having a blast. It reminds me of Mann Vs. Machine from TF2, but more dynamic and with a less toxic player base. One of my favorite things is experimenting with different combinations in "All Heroes" mode. For example, Roadhog is great for yanking Null Bastions out of position, and Sombra's ult can one-shot Demolishers.

Not only is the event itself loads of fun, but it's also a nice "stress valve" from the frustrations inherent with the multiplayer modes (bad teams, losing streaks, fucking Genjis constantly shanking my Support ass, etc.). It bums me out knowing that this is only a limited time event, I would love to have this be a permanent addition.

The new skins are great...too bad RNGesus has it out for me. The only skin I've gotten so far is the Genji one, aka the hero I play the least (I think I have a grand total of 10 minutes or something). The skin I want the most is by far the Mercy one (because vidja gaem waifu), and I'm tantalizingly close to unlocking it at 2,985 coins. Yet the past five lockboxes just had trash sprays and icons for rewards. At least I still have ample time to get it.

IceForce said:
Bit annoyed that they got rid of 1v1, 3v3, CTF, etc. Arcade is looking very bare and barren right now.

I get that they want people to play the new brawl event, but disabling the other Arcade game modes goes a bit far imo.
The modes are back now, at least on the PS4. Apparently there were technical issues that needed to be ironed out.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
IceForce said:

The modes are back now, at least on the PS4. Apparently there were technical issues that needed to be ironed out.
Ah okay, they're back for me now too (PC). Weird.

Neverhoodian said:
The new skins are great...too bad RNGesus has it out for me. The only skin I've gotten so far is the Genji one, aka the hero I play the least (I think I have a grand total of 10 minutes or something). The skin I want the most is by far the Mercy one (because vidja gaem waifu), and I'm tantalizingly close to unlocking it at 2,985 coins. Yet the past five lockboxes just had trash sprays and icons for rewards. At least I still have ample time to get it.
Notice that Mercy's staff (in the new skin) is an early prototype version, with visible pipes/hoses and manual 'triggers' to make it work.

It's the little details like that that I really like about this game.