New Third Party Switch Charging Case Adds Battery Life and Moves the Charging Port

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Third Party Switch Charging Case Adds Battery Life and Moves the Charging Port

If you need more battery life, a better charging cable location, and a stronger kickstand on your Nintendo Switch, InDemand Design's new case has you covered.

One of the biggest issues with the Nintendo Switch's design was the location of the charging port. It's squarely on the bottom of the tablet, meaning that when you have the unit propped on the kickstand, you can't plug the thing in. Gamers have made stands or used props so far, but a new Switch case on IndieGoGo is poised to fix the problem in a much better way, and add up to 12 hours of additional battery life at the same time.

The SwitchCharge, created by InDemand Design, is described on the IndieGoGo page as "the world's first multifunctional battery case designed for the Nintendo Switch." It packs in a 12,000 mAh battery designed specifically to put out enough power for the Switch, a much stronger (and adjustable) kickstand, and two slots for storing game cartridges. How much does that battery help? According to the campaign page, you can expect an additional 10 hours and 40 minutes of gameplay at 30 percent brightness in Breath of the Wild.

But the additional play time isn't the only thing that makes the SwitchCharge great. The new case also moves the charging port to the side of the device, meaning you can prop and play as much as you like.

Of course, all of this additional battery power and new features isn't coming cheap. You can pre-order yours through the IndieGoGo campaign [https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/switchcharge-a-battery-case-for-nintendo-switch#/] page for $85 plus shipping, but once the allotted 1,000 units (597 are gone as of publication) have sold, the price goes up. There are also bundles that include carry cases and screen protectors.

The SwitchCharge is expected to ship in August of this year.

[gallery=7205]

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Well that was easy, still not getting one right now but good to know all the shit I'll need will be out by the time the price drops hard enough.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Well it was only a matter of time. It really still feels like Nintendo didn't think the design of this system all the way through.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I can see two potential issues with this case:

1: It will likely add more weight to the system, making it harder to use in handheld mode for extended periods of time.

2: If you want to dock the system to play on your tv your going to have to take it out of the case. This could likely be a pain in the ass if you frequently switch between tv and handheld mode.

Still I'm glad someone is trying to address some of the systems issues.