Call of Duty: WWII Confirmed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Call of Duty: WWII Confirmed

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1399/1399699.jpg

Activision has officially announced Call of Duty: WWII.

Last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169916-Sources-Call-of-Duty-WW2-Images-Are-Related-to-This-Years-Game#&gid=gallery_7104&pid=1] several Call of Duty: WWII images were leaked. While the pictures certainly appeared to be plausible, and sources confirmed that they were legitimate, there was no official word from Activision until today.

Activision officially confirmed today that the next game in the Call of Duty franchise will, in fact, be set during World War II.

The confirmation is just that - a confirmation. No details were provided - the full reveal will take place during a livestream at 10am PT on Wednesday, April 26.

Activision recently announced that it has plans to create a Marvel-like cinematic universe based on the Call of Duty franchise [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169989-Activision-Call-of-Duty-Cinematic-Universe-Movie-Next-Year]. The plan appears to be to create a universe inspired by the games, instead of using the plots from any of the games. The first film could hit theaters as early as next year.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Hopefully they have a better name than "World War 2" because that is just a silly name.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The series is just dead to me now. Maybe five years down the line I'll find this in a bargain bin and play the singleplayer.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Setting alone won't do the trick. They need to do a complete gameplay and business model overhaul. Nothing less will suffice.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
They already confirmed this in February when they announced that they're returning to their roots.

Also, what's the next-next one gonna be?

Call of Duty WWII 2?
WWII Black Ops?
WWII Warfare?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ten years later when people are sick of WWII games again they will go back towards Modern Warfare type stuff.

iconoclast xvii

Mar 3, 2017
ObsidianJones said:
Vietnam war, Korean war... anything. Just anything else.

The Vietnam War lasted 9. Fricking. Years.

Please drop world war 2
I believe they did Vietnam is one of the Black Ops ones.

Sep 24, 2008
iconoclast xvii said:
ObsidianJones said:
Vietnam war, Korean war... anything. Just anything else.

The Vietnam War lasted 9. Fricking. Years.

Please drop world war 2

I believe they did Vietnam is one of the Black Ops ones.
I remember, but was it general war? It was clandestine stuff, right? Not the all out war effort

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, man, the series only got cool when it went scifi. I mean it could still be fun, but... meh.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Worgen said:
Ugh, man, the series only got cool when it went scifi. I mean it could still be fun, but... meh.
Most of the fans seem to disagree with that and want more Modern Warfare instead. Or at least near-futuristic, if the backwards compatibilty of Black Ops 2 is anything to go by (spiked up to 100.000 players on the XBox One when it was playable on there)

I certainly hope they don't fully abandon the futuristic setting.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bindal said:
Worgen said:
Most of the fans seem to disagree with that and want more Modern Warfare instead. Or at least near-futuristic, if the backwards compatibilty of Black Ops 2 is anything to go by (spiked up to 100.000 players on the XBox One when it was playable on there)

I certainly hope they don't fully abandon the futuristic setting.
I doubt its most fans but there are certainly a loud as hell minority. Really though I think its more series fatigue. A new one each year for the last like what, 10 years? 11? Cod wants to be a big multi game but constantly having to buy a new one each year gets to people. Plus they pretty much achieved twitch perfection with blops2's multi. I liked the multi in advanced warfare more but blops2 did feel fantastic multi and it probably worked better on consoles too.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im just disappointed that futuristic never caught on. I just think that futuristic settings are much more interesting, at least from a design perspective... maybe i'll make a thread about that....

Anyway, WW2 is cool, I guess, and even though from my perspective, I've played enough WW2 games in my lifetime, but considering CoD's young demographic, a lot of those players have probably never played a WW2 CoD, considering that the last one came out in 2008, so I can't really fault them at all.

Will be nice to see a current gen-WW2 game, though.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am just wondering the scope of the campaign?

Is gonna have Western and Eastern Front Europe?

Along with The Pacific Theater and mabye North Africa/Italy?

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Anti-American Eagle said:
World at War 2 would make more sense as a title at this point. WW2 or World War 2 just sounds weird with well... five of them that come to mind that I own being set during the second world war not including expansion packs.
they couldn't have just done world at war 2 could they? they had to full retard

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MC1980 said:
No-one gives a fuck about the Vietnam/Korean wars outside of 'Mumaricans.
As someone who can't go into the history section of the library without quickly spotting a plenthora of books on the Vietnam War, I respectfully disagree.

Samtemdo8 said:
I am just wondering the scope of the campaign?

Is gonna have Western and Eastern Front Europe?
Well, look at how the CoD games have progressed over time. We started off with the ability to play British, American, and Soviet forces. By the 'second era' of CoD, that was reduced to British and American (Modern Warfare), or Soviet and American (World at War). Nowadays, we have single protagonists of all-white, all-male, all-American protagonists.

Somehow I'm skeptical that a WWII game is going to change that, or if it does, it won't go beyond the 'greatest hits' of WWII that we've seen a million times. :(

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm disappointed. I was hoping they'd up Battlefield being in WWI by doing the American Civil War or the Napoleonic Wars.