Typhoon Delays Deconstruction of Gundam Statue

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Typhoon Delays Deconstruction of Gundam Statue

The months-long saga of Japan and its life-size Gundam statue was to come to an end today - but deconstruction was delayed due to a typhoon. At least, that's what the Japanese want us to think.

We've been dutifully reporting on Bandai's life-size Gundam statue celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary the most badass wedding ceremony ever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90122-Namco-Building-Life-Sized-Gundam], but the story looks like it will at last be coming to an end - deconstruction was scheduled to begin today, as the statue's time to stand guard over Odaiba, Japan, was up.

Or was it? According to Kamikaze [http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/01/typhoon-warning-deconstruction-of-gundam-statue-in-tokyo-postponed/], Japan?!

Alas, one can only imagine that deconstruction will proceed as planned once the weather clears up. The statue's ultimate fate is in doubt, but it's strange to imagine that after spending so much time and money building the thing, it would just be scrapped. So perhaps the story isn't quite over just yet.

Maybe while they're taking it apart, somebody will pose the thing into the famous Last Shooting [http://nanochan.org/board/src/1249338003708.jpg] scene from the final battle in the original Mobile Suit Gundam. I mean, if you're going to be taking off its head and arms anyway...

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Somehow this reminds me of the egyptian Futurama episode:
"I demand a statue of me a billion cubits high so I can be remembered for all enternity!"

*Builds the statues, reaching through the atmosphere*

"Eh, it's big alright...but i'm thinking maybe too big? Tear it down and start again; and this time, don't embaress yourselves!"

Also, why are they taking it down? Seems like a good tourist attraction.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Why in the hell would you take it apart after putting so much effort into putting it up?

30 years from now kids could be learning about historical landmarks, and the teacher would be like:

Teacher: Kids, who can tell me where this statue is from?

Kid 1: Japan!

Teacher: Very good! Have a toffee.

Kid 2: It's a gundam!

Teacher: Ahh, but what type of gundam? And what timeline? And when was it made?

I forgot to say, the teacher's name is John Funk. It's my story, get your own.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Oh come on! The thing is like a Japanese Eiffel Tower. Why would they destroy it?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Nimbus said:
Oh come on! The thing is like a Japanese Eiffel Tower. Why would they destroy it?
Because they already have a Japanese Eiffel Tower, the Tokyo Tower is a blatant rip off and not as interesting as this Gundam haha!

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Typhoon. Sure. Clearly the program developed to give it sentience just needs a few more days to boot up. And then...

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
ah, the japanese; only they would erect a massive statue of an anime robot, then take it down again for no good reason. it's two very pointless acts rolled into one...
god, i love 'em

Serge Drago

Jul 15, 2008
This is kinda like the Rocky statue that use to be in Philadelphia. As to whether they should take it down or not depends on who's paying for it. If Bandai spent the time and money putting it up on their property, then it should be the company's decision. If the government of Japan is spending the money for maintenance and field testing, then maybe America doesn't need to be Japan's military anymore.

Diablini

May 24, 2009
That robot will be fully operational (Heavy Breathing) within a week and it will set to destroy the world! Just like in Red Alert 3! The Empire of the Rising Sun will destroy us all!

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
The shouldn't take it down.
And it's funny, I was listening to the song "Pruit Igoe and Prophecies" by The Philip Glass Ensemble from the Watchmen, and I got to the part in the article that said that the powers that be obviously don't want it taken down, and just then I looked over at the picture. It was just so damn epic.