Those Heroes of The Storm Nexus Challenge Overwatch Skins Won't Be Exclusive

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Those Heroes of The Storm Nexus Challenge Overwatch Skins Won't Be Exclusive

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1400/1400811.jpg
Oni Genji and Officer D.Va, currently exclusive to the Heroes of The Storm Nexus Challenge, will eventually be added to Overwatch loot boxes.

With the launch of Heroes 2.0, Blizzard brought back the Nexus Challenge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170221-Heroes-of-The-Storm-Nexus-Challenge-Officer-D-va-Oni-Genji-Overwatch#&gid=gallery_7290&pid=1], letting players win Heroes of The Storm and Overwatch loot just by playing games with friends. It's a pretty sweet deal all around, but there have still been some complaints, as some people have no friends, or don't like Heroes of The Storm, or object to the deal for some other reason but still want the Overwatch skins. Thankfully for those people, Blizzard has announced that Officer D.Va and Oni Genji will be available in regular Overwatch loot boxes at some point in the future.

"We completely understand that there are some players who do not own or have access to a PC to play Heroes of the Storm," Kaplan said in a forum post [https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754446494#post-9]. "Because of this, we plan to add both the Oni Genji skin and the Officer D.Va skin to the normal, base Overwatch loot box at some point in the future."

Kaplan did add that he still very much encourages anyone with a PC to still try and complete the Nexus challenge in Heroes of The Storm. "Heroes of the Storm is an amazing game and you'll unlock those skins for free and before anyone else," he said.

Source: Blizzard [https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754446494#post-9]

Ecks

Feb 9, 2017
That's great to hear, there was no way I was going to play an entirely different game to get skins in another.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
Ecks said:
That's great to hear, there was no way I was going to play an entirely different game to get skins in another.
I dunno... On one hand you can play like... FIVE rounds of HotS (for free) with friends even against AI at the lowest difficulty to get the Oni Genji Skin and then five more for the Officer D.Va skins...

OR you could play Overwatch and trust your chances to the Goddamn Loot Box Drop RNG.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Kyman102 said:
Ecks said:
I dunno... On one hand you can play like... FIVE rounds of HotS (for free) with friends even against AI at the lowest difficulty to get the Oni Genji Skin and then five more for the Officer D.Va skins...

OR you could play Overwatch and trust your chances to the Goddamn Loot Box Drop RNG.
At the same time, if you don't have a PC capable of playing games on(if at all) or friends to play with it would be rather hard to get the skins at all so loot boxes would be the only way to go if you wanted one of these skins.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fijiman said:
Kyman102 said:
Ecks said:

At the same time, if you don't have a PC capable of playing games on(if at all) or friends to play with it would be rather hard to get the skins at all so loot boxes would be the only way to go if you wanted one of these skins.
It's next to impossible. The games take forever and the toxicity makes it a not very good game to play.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Fijiman said:
Kyman102 said:
Ecks said:

It's next to impossible. The games take forever and the toxicity makes it a not very good game to play.
Um, are you talking about HOTS matches? Because if so I have to disagree since for a HOTS match a half hour or longer is considered long and toxicity is a pretty rare occurrence for me. Of course there will be some long matches and of course you'll run into some jerks for team mates every once in a while but that's hardly a exclusive thing for HOTS.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Awesome, now I have a shot at getting the D.Va skin without the hassle of playing a game I'm not interested in and creating a Battle.net account to link to my PS4 profile. I'm a patient man, I can afford the wait. Just make them permanent additions that don't cost a ludicrous amount of in-game coins and I'll be relatively happy (the loot crate mechanic still sucks, though).

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
Awesome, now I have a shot at getting the D.Va skin without the hassle of playing a game I'm not interested in and creating a Battle.net account to link to my PS4 profile. I'm a patient man, I can afford the wait. Just make them permanent additions that don't cost a ludicrous amount of in-game coins and I'll be relatively happy (the loot crate mechanic still sucks, though).
I understand what you mean. I'm definitely not a MOBA player myself (mainly because I haven't touched anything aside from Heroes), but I enjoy it together with a buddy on a social thing we can do together. That being said: The rounds don't last very long, especially when you're playing against easy AI. So if I can get those skins without having to hope for them with a random loot box factor in it, that's fine for me.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Xerosch said:
Neverhoodian said:
I understand what you mean. I'm definitely not a MOBA player myself (mainly because I haven't touched anything aside from Heroes), but I enjoy it together with a buddy on a social thing we can do together. That being said: The rounds don't last very long, especially when you're playing against easy AI. So if I can get those skins without having to hope for them with a random loot box factor in it, that's fine for me.
You only really can get the Genji Skin with a botmatch, if you want the D.Va skin, you gotta play in a full match with other players.
It's still only five wins in a whole week so unless you manage to never win at all, it shouldn't be too hard to get - assuming of course you want to play HOTS to begin with, even just for the skin.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Tiamattt said:
RaikuFA said:
Fijiman said:
Kyman102 said:
Ecks said:

Um, are you talking about HOTS matches? Because if so I have to disagree since for a HOTS match a half hour or longer is considered long and toxicity is a pretty rare occurrence for me. Of course there will be some long matches and of course you'll run into some jerks for team mates every once in a while but that's hardly a exclusive thing for HOTS.
Dunno what it is but people HATE me in online. I don't have a headset or use text speech but anytime I play online (especially MOBA's) everyone is shitting on me for no reason. When I played League, I wasn't allowed to go down one of the three paths or into the side roads. If I died, I was reported for "feeding" since I just walked around at the spawn point I was reported for being "AFK". Even in Overwatch despite the fact that I would get on the MVP for kills/hooks/moving the payload the most I still got harassment because we lost.

So forgive me if I have a rough time believing you.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RaikuFA said:
Tiamattt said:
RaikuFA said:
Fijiman said:
Kyman102 said:
Ecks said:

Dunno what it is but people HATE me in online. I don't have a headset or use text speech but anytime I play online (especially MOBA's) everyone is shitting on me for no reason. When I played League, I wasn't allowed to go down one of the three paths or into the side roads. If I died, I was reported for "feeding" since I just walked around at the spawn point I was reported for being "AFK". Even in Overwatch despite the fact that I would get on the MVP for kills/hooks/moving the payload the most I still got harassment because we lost.
The first one is just the normal behaviour on those games: It's always someone elses fault and they always do it on purpose. One of the reason I hate MOBAs in general, but LoL, Dota and other "pure" MOBAs more than HOTS and Overwatch which are more light in that regards.
And the Overwatch complain is, again, just people trying to blame someone else for no reason other than them not admitting it's been their fault instead - but that's far less common, especially if it's a close match. Just report those people for harrasement or bad language - if it's an option - and move on. They get what they deserve.
Still no idea how you claim that this is somehow relevant to the game lenght when the lenght of a match depends on the game, not the behaviour of other players. And HOTS matches are apparently incredible short for a MOBA.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Bindal said:
And HOTS matches are apparently incredible short for a MOBA.
In my experience, anything longer than 25-30min is unusual and excessive. Generally seems to mean either both teams are doing it wrong, or one has a massive advantage and is just taking their time.

saiga123

Oct 22, 2014
Bindal said:
Xerosch said:
Neverhoodian said:
You only really can get the Genji Skin with a botmatch, if you want the D.Va skin, you gotta play in a full match with other players.
It's still only five wins in a whole week so unless you manage to never win at all, it shouldn't be too hard to get - assuming of course you want to play HOTS to begin with, even just for the skin.
You don't have to win just finish the matches.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Tiamattt said:
RaikuFA said:
Fijiman said:
Kyman102 said:
Ecks said:

So forgive me if I have a rough time believing you.
Wow, I'm sorry for your very unfortunate luck with team mates but the way you're making it sound that's not HOTS fault. I'm not saying it's your fault, I don't know what it is either but I don't think it's fair that just because you have bad experiences in online games that you get to label HOTS badly just for basically being another online game. It would be like me saying that steak house I've never been in sucks because the last 5 steak houses I've been to sucked.

As for the game itself the first week's reward is VS AI where people barely care enough to talk to each other, much less be toxic. As long as you're not AFK or actively trolling your 5 games there will most likely be very uneventful. You even have the option to mute everyone's chat and pings at the start of the match along with setting so only people on your friends list can whisper you, so you'd never know if anyone hates you, Although you'd probably just miss the usual gg at the end of the match.