Awesomenauts Goes Free-to-Play

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Awesomenauts Goes Free-to-Play

Cartoony MOBA platformer Awesomenauts has switched over to a free-to-play system.

Awesomenauts, the cartoony MOBA platformer from indie developer Ronimo Games is making the switch to free-to-play as of May 24. The developer made the announcement on the game's Steam page, detailing what the change means for both new and old players.

First up, nobody will lose anything during the transition. Existing players will have all the content they previously owned unlocked, and, as an additional 'thank-you', if you've registered Awesomenauts on Steam before today, you'll be granted 'founder' status, and receive a unique medal in the brave new world. Here's a handy chart to clarify what you'll get based on what you own now:

Other changes include:

An overhauled tutorial to make the game more accessible (a famous challenge for any even vaguely MOBA-like games due to the highly competitive gameplay).
A new progression system, under which you'll level-up your profile as well as each of your characters. Doing either will unlock unique rewards such as currency bonuses, portraits, character items, and portraits.
A new currency - Awesomepoints - which you can earn by playing matchmade games, either against other players or via the new 'co-op vs bots' mode. Awesomepoints can unlock playable characters, profile portraits, and new drop-pods.
Medals. These are unlocked by reaching milestones in the game, and are a way to show off your proudest achievements. All of the new customisation options can be unlocked either by completing milestones in-game, or purchasing them with in-game currency.

You can read about all the other changes in the Steam announcement post [http://steamcommunity.com/games/204300/announcements/detail/1299695964228789174].

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/204300/announcements/detail/1299695964228789174]

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Too little too late, loved the game at release but ended up dropping because it literally didn't have matchmaking so you'd be playing with people completely outside your skill range. When its was ported to PC I followed it and played for awhile, but the population soon declined to oblivion and it was back to the same problem of playing outside your skill bracket (plus tons of leaver).

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Awesome? I tried this. Wanted a refund after one game where I was getting yelled at for dying a lot. You know, because I'might gonna walk out of a 2v1 match. BTW we lost and it was my fault. Somehow.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Awesome? I tried this. Wanted a refund after one game where I was getting yelled at for dying a lot. You know, because I'might gonna walk out of a 2v1 match. BTW we lost and it was my fault. Somehow.
Really? I'm actually genuinely surpised by that. Overall I've found the 'nauts community to be much more welcoming than most MOBAs. Yea, there's a few that break the rule, but generally I've found people to either not say anything at all or be quite friendly.

Leavers are a problem though. Particularly since the patch they introduced that was designed to discourage leavers, also removed the possibility of late-joiners which means that if you do get a leaver, there is basically no possibility of being saved at all. Which is hardly ideal.

Personally, I love this game, and I would encourage anyone to give it a go - especially now its going to be free!

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Had a fun few games with two friends, but like Meiam said, we stopped playing relatively quickly because of really poor matchmaking.

It makes it hard to learn and enjoy as a new unranked player, while being matched against high-ranking veterans.