8 of the Best Mods Ever Made

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Best Mods Ever Made

If you haven't played these eight mods, you've missed out on some of the best ever made.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I swear DOTA better not make this list, because that game has ruined RTS almost entirely. Fucking e-sports bait.

EDIT: God damn it...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
I swear DOTA better not make this list, because that game has ruined RTS almost entirely. Fucking e-sports bait.

Salty from the Multiplayer of Dawn of War 3 I see?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:

Salty from the Multiplayer of Dawn of War 3 I see?
They're cynical attempt to bait someone into making a DOTA clone is just gross. They couldn't care less about the actual RTS elements or the campaign. They just want that sweet sweet e-sports fame.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
I don't like DotA, but you can't blame it for MOBAs eclipsing RTS games. What's popular is always emulated, but the 'sin' of emulation lies with the emulators, not the original creator.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
How did action quake for quake 2 not get a mention? It was made in the 90s. They wanted an action movie feel with real world weapons and locations. With out action quake there would likely have been no counter strike, no COD4. Action quake was the shape of FPS to come.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Why does 'Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age' never show up in those lists and seems to be widely forgotten?

It's a Mod for 'Thief 2' that features a new story campaign with 13 missions, animated cutscenes, new voice overs/music and has basically the length of a fully priced game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOnHOwcXog

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
bjj hero said:
How did action quake for quake 2 not get a mention? It was made in the 90s. They wanted an action movie feel with real world weapons and locations. With out action quake there would likely have been no counter strike, no COD4. Action quake was the shape of FPS to come.
I guess Action Quake isn't well known or popular enough. These lists are generally not well researched and tend to pick obvious choices (although sometimes also really baffling ones).

t850terminator

Nov 21, 2013
At least the Dark Mod made it (its standalone now).
tbh, its a pretty shit list though, HL2 alone could fill all 8 even without the mods that became games like Chivalry, Stanley, Insurgency, CS, & Black Mesa.

Also list is missing Underhell, The Nameless Mod, Call of Chernobyl, Brutal Doom, Nightmare House 2, Human Error, STALKER COMPLETE, G-String, Estranged Act 1, Get a Life, Nihilium, Mission Improbable, Redsun 2020, 2027, Titan XCIV, Transmission Element 120, Sven Co-op, Poke 646, Research and Development, or Minerva