Just a Few Hours Left to Buy Alan Wake Before It's Pulled from All Digital Stores

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Just a Few Hours Left to Buy Alan Wake Before It's Pulled from All Digital Stores

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1405/1405769.jpgIf you've never bought Alan Wake, your time is almost up.

When Alan Wake first launched in 2010, it captured the attention of gamers everywhere. The atmospheric action / suspense game was often described as playing through a Stephen king novel. It was followed by 2 DLCs, and was generally well-received by critics and fans. It came to PC about two years later, and has been there ever since. But if you haven't picked it up yet, your time is almost up. Alan Wake is leaving digital storefronts today.

The game (and its DLC) is being pulled due to expiring licenses on the music used in the game and its soundtrack. Developer Remedy Entertainment says that it is hoping to re-negotiate the license so it can make the game available again, but there is no timeline for when that might happen.

It's worth noting that just because the game is removed from the store, it should still be available for download to anyone who purchased it before it was pulled. Just because a game is removed from the Steam store (or other digital storefronts), it doesn't mean that it's removed from your library.

Alan Wake is leaving Steam at 1 PM ET today, but if you want to grab it before it is gone, it's on sale for 90 percent off. You can find the deal on Steam, GOG, the Humble Store, the Xbox Store, and most other digital storefronts. The Steam deal includes Alan Wake, the Collector's Edition extras, and Alan Wake American Nightmare (which will remain available for sale) for just $4.

[gallery=7375]

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
I hate the music industry.

That said, couldn't Remedy change the songs with some sort of placeholder? That's basically what they did with Crazy Taxi and GTA: San Andreas. Not an ideal solution, but it's something.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This honestly feels like a well elaborated marketing ploy to get people to buy it. "Buy it while you still can. Soon you won't be able to buy it. Only a short time available!" And then a week later they get it back in stock.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
BiH-Kira said:
This honestly feels like a well elaborated marketing ploy to get people to buy it. "Buy it while you still can. Soon you won't be able to buy it. Only a short time available!" And then a week later they get it back in stock.
I can see your point but Alan Wake goes on sale for like 80-90% off every sale. At this point there's only a couple people who might want the game still holding out I would imagine.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I really wish they'd just make a second one! I LOVED the campaign they did with it before it released, with that online mini series they did, that was awesome! I want a second one damnit!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I know this was said in the first thread about it, but it bears repeating: How about that "digital future" everyone was always going on about? Seems like it didn't fix the problems that the physical present had after all. Imagine that.

chozoone19

Feb 12, 2009
Saw these notice things on Steam itself on Saturday, then bought the collection sometime the next day. $4 is a heck of a steal of that amount of content for even regular steam sales and I've never played the second DLC bit or the American Dream not-sequel thing, though that supposedly might not be taken off like the base game. Bit sad to see it go cause I rather enjoyed Alan Wake on the 360 those years ago but at least we get a chance to hold onto it before it's gone.

Sep 24, 2008
Honestly, the byline should have been

"Did you sleep on one of the best Survivor Horror Games of the Last Generation? Then time to Wake Up."

... Why, yes, I am a child of the eighties. How did you know?

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
I know this was said in the first thread about it, but it bears repeating: How about that "digital future" everyone was always going on about? Seems like it didn't fix the problems that the physical present had after all. Imagine that.
The medium isn't the problem. It's the corporate handling. Even when things disappear from legit places, you can always pirate. There are copies of everything out there, digitally.

Not technically saying you should do it, but it is there.

So stop with your weird old man ramblings.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
American Fox said:
shrekfan246 said:
The medium isn't the problem. It's the corporate handling. Even when things disappear from legit places, you can always pirate. There are copies of everything out there, digitally.

Not technically saying you should do it, but it is there.

So stop with your weird old man ramblings.
It is there. It shouldn't be the only option. No "weird old man ramblings" about that.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dammit, I just missed it. I guess I will wait and see what happens next.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
It is there. It shouldn't be the only option. No "weird old man ramblings" about that.
It's the only option for this and a handful of other games. The majority I can still buy now. I can go and buy the original DOOM, which is obviously much older than Alan Wake, digitally right now on a myriad of sites. I'd most likely have trouble buying it physically.

EDIT: I already beat this one on 360, but I went ahead and got the Franchise edition for the DLC and whatnot. Always worth another playthrough.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, i actually forgot about this game. i have only played it once when it was finally released on pc. after that i have never touched it again or even bothered to get the DLC's.
so because of some music they have to pull out the game. this sounds rather shady and stupid at the same time.