There's a New Tropico Game Coming Next Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
There's a New Tropico Game Coming Next Year

Kalypso is teasing a new game in Tropico series that will release next year.

If you've ever wondered how you would do as the dictator of a small island republic, the Tropico series has let you find out. Now with world politics in flux, it seems like the perfect time for El Presidente to make his return. Kalypso thinks so too, and it's teasing a new game in the series.

The official tease says, "In times of political turmoil and social unrest, the people are calling out for a visionary leader, one who will steer the fate of their country with foresight and ingenuity. Will you answer that call?"

There's only a vague 2018 release window for PC, PS4, and Xbox One, but we may hear more at E3 next month. The last game in the series was Tropico 5, which released back in 2014. Will this one be Tropico 6? We'll just have to wait and see.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Interesting. I only got into the Tropico games at the end of last year (late to the party) but I really like them. I'd be waiting to see what happens with this one.

I wonder who the developer is - I find it a bit strange they are not mentioned not mentioned anywhere. I know the franchise has changed hands at least once, so this might be another time that happens.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Tropico is a great series. Although, the last one was just the same as the one before it with just a little better graphics. I also hated the tech tree which is just dull.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
They better make some strong improvements and innovations. The last one was just an update of 4. Not that it made it bad, just samey.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
They better make some strong improvements and innovations. The last one was just an update of 4. Not that it made it bad, just samey.
I agree. This is a series that needs big improvements. And I REALLY want this to be a good series, I love the idea of Tropico.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Great JT said:
Cowabungaa said:
I agree. This is a series that needs big improvements. And I REALLY want this to be a good series, I love the idea of Tropico.
Yeah, I always felt like the whole "banana republic" angle and what that entails could've been way more fleshed out. The corruption, the class struggles between the people, all that jazz. I also never got the urge to really suppress my population, it always felt like an objectively worse choice compared to just be a good leader. And it was like that throughout 3,4 and 5. I'd like that to finally change.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I like the series, but I don't like the cynical way it is repackaged or diced up. I've played all the games in the series, and the last three have all been basically the same game, barring some superficial mechanical/graphic changes and stuff stripped out to be resold as dozens of DLC bits.

If you haven't played a Tropico game before, buy Tropico 4 and skip the rest. Most of the DLC isn't worth the money.

Cowabungaa said:
The Great JT said:
Cowabungaa said:
Yeah, I always felt like the whole "banana republic" angle and what that entails could've been way more fleshed out. The corruption, the class struggles between the people, all that jazz. I also never got the urge to really suppress my population, it always felt like an objectively worse choice compared to just be a good leader. And it was like that throughout 3,4 and 5. I'd like that to finally change.
I have the exact same issue - the problem is that there is no reason to ever be evil, except for the heck of it. In real life, despots are corrupt and oppressive for the sake of survival; they get into power by disposing of the last incompetent idiot who ran the country into the ground, and they have to constantly break the rules to maintain power. In Tropico, there is none of that urgency because you always start fresh, building from scratch, with a healthy cash supply and a lack of any ongoing external/internal conflict. Future games should give you bigger, more established cities with bigger, more established problems to at least give you a reason to burn the books/intellectuals.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
The first opus was really nice. Unfortunately, there is no official title for this new opus or any real information except that the game will arrive in the year 2018. Provided that this new opus will be a real success, and not too expensive.