You Can't Retry Failed Missions in Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can't Retry Failed Missions in Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

If you fail a mission in Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, you're just going to have to live with the consequences.

In addition to the new story trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170514-New-Middle-Earth-Shadow-of-War-Story-Trailer] that Warner Bros. released in the run-up to E3, there's also a new, 23-minute presentation that shows off how the gameplay will work.

The video presentation features Monolith's Michael de Plater accompanied by voice actor Troy Baker. It shows off the game's newly expanded Nemesis system, some of the map, and plenty of gameplay.

The most interesting part of the video to me was the news that you won't be able to replay failed missions. After losing a fight to a boss named Gubu Skull Crusher, Plater says that he can't just retry the mission. "We can never replay that mission," he said. "Time's going to move forward, the world's going to evolve, the guys that are dead are going to stay dead."

That should have an interesting effect on how the game progresses, and it will likely affect how the Nemesis system plays out as well.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is headed to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 10 after its recent delay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170470-Middle-Earth-Shadow-of-War-Delayed-to-October].

[gallery=7520]

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I am pretty certain that the main story missions will be every bit as scripted and mandatory as they always are in games and that failure will not be an option in them. That the procedural "kill boss"-missions can be failed and remains failed makes sense though. However, I assume you will also get a shot at taking said boss out again, after doing whatever it is you will do to find the boss and set up the kill chance.

I mean, this is pretty much how Shadow of Mordor worked, with failed assassination attempts requiring you to track the boss down again and make a new attempt with new mooks around.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I like the idea of the world just "moving on" with or without you, but what happens to your target? Do they just become a god or some shit?

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
I think this is an awesome idea for this sort of game. I would think it would bring a sense of actual urgency to each mission. That's the main reason I enjoy Fire Emblem games since if you screw up and lose a character that character stays dead. It just makes me feel more invested in the smaller side stuff.

Also, just like Fire Emblem, my system's reset button is about to get use.d a whole lot more.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I hope it works well, I suppose we shall see. The first and one of the last times I really saw something like this was way back in the days of Wing Commander, you could fail every mission and still survive till the end when you lost the war.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Gethsemani said:
I mean, this is pretty much how Shadow of Mordor worked, with failed assassination attempts requiring you to track the boss down again and make a new attempt with new mooks around.
Yep. Every mission concerning the Nemesis system was able to fail. Which was 90% of the game for me.

http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis#Missions_and_Events

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
This is more-or-less how it worked in the first game. Nemesis-related missions (red icon) could never be repeated - you just had to wait for another opportunity to come along.

Of course, story missions (gold) were repeatable if failed, as were a bunch of 'collectible' (white) missions. (Side missions to rescue slaves/ perform legendary acts).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Worgen said:
I hope it works well, I suppose we shall see. The first and one of the last times I really saw something like this was way back in the days of Wing Commander, you could fail every mission and still survive till the end when you lost the war.
Xcom prettymuch does it, if you don't save scum it. You fail a mission it doesn't end the game or anything, you just start to lose support (and the money and staff that entails) and whatever gear and personnel you invested in the mission. Up until you straight up lose the war.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Zydrate said:
I like the idea of the world just "moving on" with or without you, but what happens to your target? Do they just become a god or some shit?
I'm assuming that if he offs you, then he will get promoted as per Shadow of Morder. The mission to kill him will then change, new bodyguards, location, weaknesses and so on. It will be the same named enemy, but a 'new' mission to take him out.

Of course I may giving Warner Bros and the devs far too much credit, they could just talking out of their rectums.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Seth Carter said:
Worgen said:
Xcom prettymuch does it, if you don't save scum it. You fail a mission it doesn't end the game or anything, you just start to lose support (and the money and staff that entails) and whatever gear and personnel you invested in the mission. Up until you straight up lose the war.
Ehh, not really, you lose solders and run the risk of losing the war but in Wing Commander you would lost story events and it would change which missions came up in the game. The path of the game literally changed if you lost too many missions for a sector.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Quite interesting! Look at them, taking minor risks that might ruffle a casual feather. But I'm going to enjoy the idea of that immensely. Of course, I don't intend to fail any missions. The game looks to be easy even on hard.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Depending on how far that really goes, it might make me even more interested in giving the game a shot

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Zydrate said:
I'm assuming that if he offs you, then he will get promoted as per Shadow of Morder. The mission to kill him will then change, new bodyguards, location, weaknesses and so on. It will be the same named enemy, but a 'new' mission to take him out.

Of course I may giving Warner Bros and the devs far too much credit, they could just talking out of their rectums.
Sounds almost identical to SoM's with perhaps an extra step or two, which might be acceptable.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
The_Darkness said:
This is more-or-less how it worked in the first game. Nemesis-related missions (red icon) could never be repeated - you just had to wait for another opportunity to come along.
Yeah, I'm also pretty sure this is exactly like the first game too.

Whenever you die in Shadow of Mordor time fast forwards and all pending nemesis missions auto-complete. So it's impossible to repeat the same mission.

I'm pretty sure this is only the case for nemesis missions in Shadow or War too. You can't permanently fail story missions (obviously for game progress reasons). And you can repeat fortress assaults if you fail (this has been shown in recent demos).

So doesn't seem like it's new information.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Whenever I see these developers touting how 'hard' or 'punishing' their game is and how proud they are of it my first thought is always, "That sounds like a magnificent time sink. Looks like I'll be playing something else."

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Proto Taco said:
Whenever I see these developers touting how 'hard' or 'punishing' their game is and how proud they are of it my first thought is always, "That sounds like a magnificent time sink. Looks like I'll be playing something else."
Yeah this sounds like a terrible idea.