New GTA 5 Machinima Shows Take-Two and Rockstar Killing Off Mods

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New GTA 5 Machinima Shows Take-Two and Rockstar Killing Off Mods

Players continue to protest the cease and desist that was sent to OpenIV, the modding tool for Grand Theft Auto 5.

If you haven't been following the uproar that has engulfed the Grand Theft Auto 5 since Take-Two issued a cease-and-desist to popular modding tool OpenIV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170569-GTA-Mod-Tool-OpenIV-Gets-Cease-and-Desist-from-Take-Two], here's the short version: People are pissed.

The community has been up in arms, bombing the game's change.org petition to save the modding tool [http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/Grand_Theft_Auto_V/]. Now there's a machinima as well that shows agents wearing Rockstar and Take-Two logos assassinating popular figures that have appeared as mods.

Mario, the Hulk, and Harambe all get targeted, as does the DeLorean from Back to the Future. The video says that it was made in OpenIV, and asks viewers to sign the petition.

For its part, Rockstar has issued a statement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170576-Rockstar-Official-Statement-on-OpenIV-Shutdown], saying that some were using OpenIV to create malicious mods that were disrupting play in GTA Online. The developer also said that it is "working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

Take-Two has also issued similar notices to other GTA Online cheat tools like Force Hax and Menyoo, both of which have shut down. These tools, however, were designed to be used online, whereas OpenIV's creators stated that they had a "absolutely no messing with Online" policy for their tools.

It remains to be seen how this will shake out, but the community continues to put pressure on Take-Two and Rockstar to reverse the decision to shut down OpenIV.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
It's a pretty good argument to protect the multiplayer, though. Rockstar could easily cooperate with OpenIV to work side-by-side in order to make this effective, but they don't. I really wonder what they were thinking or if they really want to take the hit and don't care much, because in all fairness, this will blow over with little to no effect on sales anyway, even when counting in the damage to the image.

I'm a bit touched by the determination of the community. I thought this will vanish in a matter of days with nobody giving a crap anymore, another loss to the mountains of money instead of passion.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Can I get a 'Dis gun be good' image in here please? I think it's highly-appropriate and necessary. And popcorn too.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Naldan said:
It's a pretty good argument to protect the multiplayer, though. Rockstar could easily cooperate with OpenIV to work side-by-side in order to make this effective, but they don't. I really wonder what they were thinking or if they really want to take the hit and don't care much, because in all fairness, this will blow over with little to no effect on sales anyway, even when counting in the damage to the image.

I'm a bit touched by the determination of the community. I thought this will vanish in a matter of days with nobody giving a crap anymore, another loss to the mountains of money instead of passion.
Client sided mods shouldn't have absolutely any effect on the multiplayer game if they did the multiplayer right. The important things should run server side and anything that could change those things client side shouldn't be able to run. The only mods that would work would be those that don't affect the gameplay. So basically cosmetics that only the player who has the mod can see.

So I don't buy the "protecting the multiplayer" argument.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Can I get a 'Dis gun be good' image in here please? I think it's highly-appropriate and necessary. And popcorn too.
Here you go.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Trying to shut down mods in any video game is like trying to set a bee hive on fire and think you'll be fine.
Do I even need to explain what will result in either example? Should be common sense, but I guess some people (or companies) just don't care about the consequences.
The worst case scenario is RDR2 bombs user score wise but corps like these will double down if they are the only game in town.