New XCOM 2 Trailer Offers a Closer Look at Gameplay in the War of the Chosen Expansion

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New XCOM 2 Trailer Offers a Closer Look at Gameplay in the War of the Chosen Expansion

Firaxis is offering up a look at gameplay in the upcoming War of the Chosen expansion for XCOM 2.

XCOM 2 was one of the best strategy games of 2016, as evidenced by its runner-up finish in our 2016 Escapist Awards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/17351-Escapist-Awards-Best-of-2016#&gid=gallery_6714&pid=1] voting. If you're a fan of the game, you've got a new expansion to look forward to next month. The expansion is titled War of the Chosen, and there's a new trailer showing off the included gameplay.

The expansion is adding a number of new features, including the very powerful Chosen, enemy assassins that can kidnap your soldiers, friendly heroes with their own upgrade trees, and much more. You can find plenty more information on the expansion and everything it includes over on the official XCOM 2 blog [https://xcom.com/news].

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on August 29.

[gallery=7557]

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
wow, at 54$ cad, i really hope it worth the price...

but other than the lenght of it, it look amazing

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Looks pretty good, but it does continue my problem with XCOM 2 in general with the kitchen-sink of ideas and visual design. I kind of preferred how Enemy Unknown had a consistent theme running through it, even with the expansion. XCOM 2's characters look like they belong in one of the shitty post-Thor 2 MCU movies.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Those new aliens look really boring.
What are they supposed to resemble? My first guess is they're mermen because piranha teeth but they don't seem to come out of the ocean or have anything to do with that.
And why the glowy eyes? Nothing in x-com has glowy eyes.

Pretty much everything else in xcom has a strong design to it but those guys just come off as nondescript generic demon dudes that just look weird next to mutons and vipers and cyberdisks and sectoids.

Plus they talk and all I see that do is add a layer of cringe.
The flipping avatar didn't talk and I spent 0 minutes wishing it taunted me in codec calls.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
loa said:
Those new aliens look really boring.
What are they supposed to resemble? My first guess is they're mermen because piranha teeth but they don't seem to come out of the ocean or have anything to do with that.
Given they are aliens, they can look however they want. They could be new/young ethereals, for all we know, a new species (it's not like they didn't introduce several species in both games with no explaination. Closest to getting one are the Vipers)

loa said:
And why the glowy eyes? Nothing in x-com has glowy eyes.
Every single Psionic has them. Enemy Unknown Sectoids also had a subtle glow (very faint) as well as the EU Cryssalid.
And, again, multiple alien species. They don't need to follow the same design rules because most of them are not related in any way.

loa said:
The flipping avatar didn't talk and I spent 0 minutes wishing it taunted me in codec calls.
The avatars don't need to talk because they're, at that point, remote controlled by Ethereals. And THEY DID TALK.
ADVENT Soldiers talk - in an alien language, but they talk and due what they say being irrelevant for the game there is need to understand them (where as what these guys say matters as part of the story). EXALT in the first game talked. Encrypted in the missions against them, but normal in the optional introduction mission. One could even argue that mindcontrolled soldiers could mean the aliens talk.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Bindal said:
loa said:
The avatars don't need to talk because they're, at that point, remote controlled by Ethereals. And THEY DID TALK.
ADVENT Soldiers talk - in an alien language, but they talk and due what they say being irrelevant for the game there is need to understand them (where as what these guys say matters as part of the story). EXALT in the first game talked. Encrypted in the missions against them, but normal in the optional introduction mission. One could even argue that mindcontrolled soldiers could mean the aliens talk.
Did you not see what is going on here? [https://youtu.be/DHr9U20WBw8?t=1h5m5s]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
loa said:
Bindal said:
loa said:
Did you not see what is going on here? [https://youtu.be/DHr9U20WBw8?t=1h5m5s]
Well, do you prefer them just staring at each other? Or maybe just talk gibberish? That's even dumber.
They speak english FOR CONVIENCE OF THE PLAYER and so things aren't as dumb as the other two options.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Bindal said:
Well, do you prefer them just staring at each other? Or maybe just talk gibberish? That's even dumber.
They speak english FOR CONVIENCE OF THE PLAYER and so things aren't as dumb as the other two options.
I would prefer for them to be something else entirely and it's not my fault that you cannot imagine what that would be.