Atari Dismisses Turbine Lawsuit as "Frivolous"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Atari Dismisses Turbine Lawsuit as "Frivolous"

Atari has responded to Turbine's "frivolous" lawsuit over Dungeons & Dragons Online by filing a motion to have the suit dismissed entirely and claiming that it is actually owed money by Turbine as a result of an "independent third party audit."

It was rumored to be developing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94213-Turbine-Sues-Atari-Over-DDO-Unlimited]. Turbine is seeking more than $30 million in damages.

But Atari is having none of it. In a statement released today, an Atari spokesperson described the lawsuit as "frivolous" and claimed it was simply an attempt by Turbine to avoid paying the money it owes Atari. "Last week, with no warning, Turbine filed what can only be viewed as a frivolous lawsuit against Atari," the statement said. "This action can ultimately do a great disservice to D&D fans and to the MMO community at large."

"Turbine's actions also appear intended to divert attention from the contractual obligations that Turbine owes to Atari," the statement continued. "In response, today Atari served a motion to dismiss the entirety of Turbine's lawsuit. Atari also filed a separate complaint to recover monies owed to Atari resulting from an independent third party audit of Turbine. While Atari hopes for a quick and fair resolution, it remains fully committed to the D&D communities worldwide and will vigorously protect the franchise and its own integrity in this matter."

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
The Neverwinter Nights MMOG the Atari-owned Cryptic Studios is rumored to be developing.
Well, well! Now that is what I am talking about. If they make a good MMOG set in the Forgotten Realms I don't care if Atari screwed over Turbine. It is tough to be Turbine, but DDO blew because of the setting. Ebberon is just pure lose. Let's see what they do with a FR based MMOG. If it is good I will pay to play.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Well that's one was to defficate on your sliced potato peices fried in oil.

This sounds like something you would see on Jeremy Kyle for crying out loud

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Frivolous, another fancy word for "Bullshit"!!

Turbine, you guys can afford it! You guys won March Madness!

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Turtleboy1017 said:
Turbine, you guys can afford it! You guys won March Madness!
althought they didnt deserve it. they actually made threads which said "vote for turbine". also, i have only seen 1 decent game from them, and thats LOTRO. i dont think an average MMO can pull it to the top.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
so what if Turbine owes Atari, that doesnt mean they cant sue em, right? Atari is just trying to avoid court. thats how i look at it.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
axia777 said:
The Neverwinter Nights MMOG the Atari-owned Cryptic Studios is rumored to be developing.
Well, well! Now that is what I am talking about. If they make a good MMOG set in the Forgotten Realms I don't care if Atari screwed over Turbine. It is tough to be Turbine, but DDO blew because of the setting. Ebberon is just pure lose. Let's see what they do with a FR based MMOG. If it is good I will pay to play.
indeed i'd love to see an FR based MMO.