New Warhammer Online Novel Explores the Forces of Destruction

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Warhammer Online Novel Explores the Forces of Destruction

The third Warhammer Online book, Forged by Chaos, shifts perspectives from the goody two shoes of the armies of Order to the violent and chaotic world of Destruction.

Alliance, Order, whatever you want to call them, the bottom line is: the "good" factions in MMOGs are always lame. Or at least don't make for as compelling fiction. No offense, then, to the first two Warhammer Online novels, which focused on the struggles of the nice guys (though I guess they aren't all so nice in the world of Warhammer, where it seems like everyone hasn't showered or slept well in months) in the Order faction, but Forged by Chaos, the new novel by C.L. Werner, seems a bit more interesting.

Forged by Chaos shines its narrative spotlight on the armies on the Destruction side of the Warhammer rivalry. The book finds the armies of the Chaos faction ready to topple the Empire of Man, but they're not quite ready to do it without an insurance policy. That comes in the form of something called the Spear of Myrmidia, which a troop of Chaos warriors sets out to secure and use to unleash some serious bad juju on the world. Meanwhile, the Dark Elves and Orcs are also after the Spear - bad guys, apparently, have a hard time working together.

"Forged by Chaos provides readers with their first look into the dark, megalomaniacal minds of the forces of Destruction," Mythic's Jeff Hickman said. "Rife with internal conflict, shifting allegiances, and a never-ending lust for murder, we see firsthand how this unholy alliance of Destruction is just as deadly to each other as they are to the armies of Order."

The novel is being penned by fantasy scribe C.L. Werner, whose credits include Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter and other Warhammer books. It's being published by Warhammer imprint The Black Library and will be out this fall.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Keane Ng said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Filthy Horde.
More like sexy Horde. Don't forget I play a female Blood Elf.
Hey man, that's your business. At least my female Night Elf is in Cat form most of the time!

...wait.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Filthy Horde.
Just you wait, Funk, one day you'll be minding your own business, picking daisies or not winning wintergrasp or something when *BAM*

Shanked.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!...wait thats 40,000 years from now, dammit. ah well the only interesting race about chaos is da orcs. chaos want to spread their religion and dark elves just wanna kill off the high elves. orcs just fight because they were made ta fight!

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
good guys are always lame, thanks for acknowledging it =D
and yeah
Chaos for the absolute win! Tzeentch has deemed it so

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Pff, Chaos only have a few centuries before the rest of the Tyranids arrive. Then we'll see who begged for quarter.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Alliance, Order, whatever you want to call them, the bottom line is: the "good" factions in MMOGs are always lame.
you do realize the the Horde is technically the good guys in recent Warcraft lore right? but in all fairness you do play horde so ill excuse it

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Skizle said:
Keane Ng said:
Alliance, Order, whatever you want to call them, the bottom line is: the "good" factions in MMOGs are always lame.
you do realize some of the Horde is technically the good guys in recent Warcraft lore right? but in all fairness you do play horde so ill excuse it
Fixed. I don't wanna off topic this but...well, I need only point the finger at the Forsaken, the Warsong Lumber camps, the Dor'danil Barrow Dens...I'm not saying Alliance is without black marks on their record (because that would be a lie) but to say the Horde are 'good' is a gross misrepresentation.

/Lore nerd.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Oh, you crazy kids and your backstories... what am I saying...I wish I had enough time to play an MMO actually...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sounds good. There are already tons of Warhammer books, so there's plenty that's already been covered. Now I just have to wait for a 40K MMORPG.

Aardvark said:
Pff, Chaos only have a few centuries before the rest of the Tyranids arrive. Then we'll see who begged for quarter.
Don't get into al this "Warhammer/40K in the same universe" thing where Sigmar is one of the lost Primarchs, and Dwarves are the descendents of Squats.

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
Well, really, they already have wrote from the forces of chaos' side with the Malus Darkbalde chronicles, but this is the first one that they've slapped the stamp "Online" on-to. But yeah, cool.