Blizzard: XBL Only Scratched the Surface of What Battle.net Will Do

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Blizzard: XBL Only Scratched the Surface of What Battle.net Will Do

Blizzard's Greg Canessa, who previously worked on Xbox Live and is now working on Battle.net 2.0, has described Microsoft's service as not even coming close to the scope of features Battle.net has in the works.

We got our first real glimpse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94085-BlizzCon-09-The-Future-of-Battle-net] at Blizzard's new Battle.net a couple weeks ago at BlizzCon, and whether or not you were impressed by the showing, it's obvious enough that Blizzard is putting a lot of stock into what they see as the future of online gaming services. Greg Canessa, formerly of Microsoft's Xbox Live team and PopCap and presently working on Battle.net, doesn't just envision Battle.net competing with Xbox Live, but blowing it out of the water.

"We just scratched the surface with Xbox Live of what you could do with achievements," Canessa told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25153]. "Wow, you can earn achievements. Great. But what if you customize those achievements really deeply and build really compelling meta-game scenarios around unlockable rewards, or decals and avatars, and ladders and leagues for StarCraft II?"

Canessa says that the key difference between building Battle.net versus Xbox Live is that for Microsoft, XBL had to be built as a platform for a system and its games, whereas Battle.net is being built to specifically integrate itself around a small number of titles.

"At Blizzard, we're not bound by that constraint," Canessa said. "We have a small number of titles we can deeply integrate in and create these kick-ass custom around-the-game features and meta-game services for a small number of games. That is our key distinguisher, and that is something I'm super excited about."

Sounds like somebody is super-psyched about his new job.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Well, at least Xbox Live supports LAN.

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP.
I do believe this man finished this story before it started.

I salute ye.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Psychosocial said:

Does it, though? I mean, I know the CONSOLE supports system link, but do you go through XBL to do it?

I really wouldn't know; the last time I did something like that it was back on the original Xbox.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Psychosocial said:

Does it, though? I mean, I know the CONSOLE supports system link, but do you go through XBL to do it?

I really wouldn't know; the last time I did something like that it was back on the original Xbox.
Wouldn't a LAN game be the exact opposite of an XBL game? It's Local Area instead of the internet..

Also, is he claiming that it's better use of Achievements is going to be the main thing that makes it better than XBL? Won't that just breed a large group of achievement farmers and such? We saw what such tactics did to the TF2 Community...

You can't really compare XBL to Battle.net. XBL has grown into a massive content sharing/market place/media streaming/online gaming community. Battle.net seems to just be an online gaming service and community.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Can Battle.net 2.0 provide me with a Chili Dog on command? No? Color me unimpressed. Then again, I wouldn't ever really play SC2 online anyway. So until Diablo 3 gets integrated in, I'm pretty bias that way.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Oh snap! Someone got served. Battlenet better represent, as per street rules, or else it's ownage.

...and no, I don't know what that means.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Psychosocial said:

I want you to have this.

Well, what can I say? Good for them? I won't stop using Xbox Live, and I doubt anyone will.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Too bad with their "small number of titles" they can't be bothered with "integrating" their older ones, with how completely awesome, amazing, perfection personified and utterly without choice that Battle.net 2.0 will be.

They'll actually have to start sharing their features and proving themselves to me before I'm about to believe any of the "hype" that they're spewing from their mouths. It's too bad that that is all it will be though...

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
It seems like his list of things that Bliztivision.net will blow XBL out of the water with, are things that Microsoft is already doing with XBL... They ripped off XBL achievements in WoW touting how awesome and innovative theirs were by comparison and now they think that, "[customizing] achievements really deeply and [building] really compelling meta-game scenarios around unlockable rewards, or decals and avatars, and ladders and leagues" is new? Have they not actually logged in to Xbox Live?

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Yes, I'm pretty you can LAN over Xbox Live.

I dunno how great Battle.net 2 is going to be, but all I'm saying is people have to pay for XBL.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
It seems like his list of things that Bliztivision.net will blow XBL out of the water with, are things that Microsoft is already doing with XBL... They ripped off XBL achievements in WoW touting how awesome and innovative theirs were by comparison and now they think that, "[customizing] achievements really deeply and [building] really compelling meta-game scenarios around unlockable rewards, or decals and avatars, and ladders and leagues" is new? Have they not actually logged in to Xbox Live?
Greg Canessa, formerly of Microsoft's Xbox Live team
You know, I get the feeling he just might have done. Can't be sure though.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
It's not going to be the future of online gaming if it continues to take Blizzard 10 years to release new games, excluding WoW expansions. Blizzard games are good and all, but I don't get to live forever you know...