Gamer Going for Guinness Record for Longest GTAIV Session

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Gamer Going for Guinness Record for Longest GTAIV Session

Believe it or not, apparently there is a Guinness World Record for the longest time spent playing Grand Theft Auto IV. And one Mumbai resident is trying - this very minute - to break it.

What's the longest time you've ever spent playing a single game? If it's more than 28 hours and that game was Grand Theft Auto IV, congratulations: you qualify for a Guinness World Record. 28 hours straight playing Rockstar's sandbox smash hit is the current record for the longest Grand Theft Auto IV session, and while I'm sure there are oodles of people (I'm sure we all know folks who marathoned the game right after launch) who might qualify for the title, it currently belongs to one Jim Patton.

Now Chirantan Patnaik of Mumbai, India is attempting to live stream [http://www.rockstargames.com/news/2009/09/03/491/30_hours_in_the_city_that_never_sleeps] of the world record attempt in progress. You will be joined by a hundred or so other folks who have nothing better to do.

This is no joke to Patnaik, however. To prepare for the session he apparently underwent endurance training by practicing running and doing yoga sessions. And obviously he's filling his arteries with energy drinks, but that goes without saying. On top of all that, he's quite confident he can make it because he's pulled 24+ hours without sleep before in his line of work.

Best of luck to Patnaik, though I wouldn't be too proud of the accomplishment (if he gets it). I know a guy named Randy who works at the Wal-Mart who once played Halo 2 multiplayer for two days on end. And a guy named Paul who I'm pretty sure hasn't logged off World of Warcraft since Tuesday. I better go check up on him.

[Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/gamer-plans-to-smash-gta-iv-guinness-record-147489.phtml]]

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Hmmm 30 hours you say, anyone else want to break this record for the fun of it because I would.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Anyone remember when records used to be for significant accomplishments?

Neither can I.

Well, best of luck to him........I guess.........

[small]I played Daikatana for at least five minutes. Does that mean I'm a record holder?[/small]

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Hmmm 30 hours you say, anyone else want to break this record for the fun of it because I would.
I could easily destroy this record. I've spent an entire day on GTA VI and that was only to test things out, if I was being serious...

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
longest session I've ever done was 36 hours, but I know for a fact that there are people who've gone way longer than me.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Why are things like this considered "legitimate" records while stuff like "Biggest Poop" or "Longest Fart" aren't?

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Longest was about 5 hours. You just have to live sometime, too.
Also you get bored after about 3 hours of anything.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
There are world records for things like this? What's next? Who can breathe the most?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Wouldn't you like...run out of stuff to do? There's an achievement for finishing the game in less than 30 hours as I recall (which I got on my first playthrough). Wouldn't you end up just running around sandboxing? I could see that getting pretty boring after a while...

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I could see maybe doing this for charity or something, but for a Guiness record? Fehhhhhh. I'm more surprised that there are people watching. Trying to set the record is lame enough, but having nothing better to do than watch someone else play GTAIV for thirty hours? Come on.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Thirty hours? Pah. There was a Korean who went through over seventy-two hours of Starcraft.
Admittedly, he also dropped dead from exhaustion, but that's beside the point.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Marq said:
I hope he red rings at 27 hours.
You know, that seems a bit harsh, but really,I think I might feel the same way. Guiness Records has followed everything else in the world and has started to become shallow with crap nobody cares about. Namely records anyone could do.