289: What Happens in New Vegas

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
I haven't encountered nearly this many crashes. Although that may be because I got the game around Christmas and they might have fixed many of the problems. That's not to say the game isn't still pretty buggy.

My copy has crashed about 2 times, but I've encountered a lot of strange clipping glitches, people not being there to end the quests, and sometimes even quests that stop working and won't let me finish at all. Also my gun sometimes decides it wants to be held over my head which is kind of strange. Oh, and my gun will sometimes decide to fire blanks....and I have to put it away and bring it out again.

All in all it is incredibly frustrating sometimes and does tick me off, so I understand where you're coming from.

P.S. I also must say I haven't really experienced any frame-rate issues like you mention. I don't know if they fixed it or what

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I didn't start playing until after the first patch, but I've still experienced quite a few glitches(I'm up to choosing sides after discovering everywhere and doing all the side quests possible):
- Dead money DLC bunker is always displayed as locked and needing a key. (despite re-installing game, DLC and clearing the cache)
- 5 crashes (not too bad) and lag occasionally.
- creatures phasing into hills. Happened to me twice.
- 'I put a spell on you' impossible to finish since Hsu won't say the ending dialogue
- unable to get meat for cook at camp McCarren, since the dialogue options aren't available
- audio crashing
- Guard at aerotech going to deal with drug-dealing Keith, only to absent-mindingly change his mind and wander off, rendering quest uncompleteble.

...The only one that really bothers me is the Dead money one. Hopefully it will get fixed, however there were still a few glitches in the game of the year edition of Fallout 3...

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Russ Pitts is the Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist. To date, he has been playing New Vegas for about 200 hours and has found enough bugs to be named an honorary QA tester.
The irony of that sentence being that, if Obsidian actually HAD Quality Assurance testers, you would'nt have to play a 60 hour game for 200 hours in the first place!

OT: I'm glad i skipped this game. I didn't care for Fallout 3 much, plus pre knowledge of obsidian's pedigree (it's smelly rotten pedigree) made me skip it.
No regrets. None.

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
I didn't play as many hours as Russ, but did do almost all the quests and side quests, finishing up on the wild card ending (didn't realize that actions I'd taken re the Brotherhood made peace between the NCR and Brotherhood impossible). Playing on the 360, I was reminded way too much of Knights of the Old Republic 2, one of Obsidian's other titles: it felt like the dev team had some awesome ideas but the overall task was just a little beyond their capacity. I wonder if a smaller, properly executed game would have worked better.

Cheers

Colin

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Wow apparently the PC version is a lot better. Granted I haven't played through the whole game (side tracked and been busy with other stuff. I'm not much past the town where you first meet Ceasar's Legion, ~20 or 30 hours I guess) but I've experienced a grand total of: 1 crash.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Yes, there are a bunch of bugs in this game. Yes, I have had my game freeze multiple times. But for the love of pete, man, save and save often! If you save every 15 minutes or so, you wouldnt go through anywhere near the suffering you are experiencing! Plus, having all those saves helps so you can go back and do all the different story lines, and get all your achievements. ;)

One of the biggest rules with RPGs is to save, save, SAVE!

hieiwrath

Mar 20, 2009
Poor guy, if he had been playing on pc he would almost never crash. I played the entire game with more than 100 hours and I think it crashed 1 or 2 times only.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
What?? You only crashed 22 times??

Sometimes i even has as much as 3 crashes in 10 minutes,sometimes it would even crash before i could load up a save game, and for average i had more hard restarts than hours played..

Yeah, i feel you got off it easy my friend..

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I played the PC version for 95 hours, with 2-3 crashes that happened when I saved and then went just faffing about, killing towns and cities and I always had 4 save slots and one quicksave slot just in case.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Even with the patch the game is still glitched up the ass, at least for the 360 version anyway. One of the most obvious bugs is in HELIOS ONE. When you exit out the back entrance after talking to Ignacio Rivas, you can: 1. Get stuck in an invisible barricade of empty oil drums 2. Have to fight of teleporting hostile dogs, scorpions and mole rats 3. Find an old lady sitting on an invisible chair. Every time I do this one of those variants happens. How could they not notice this massive bug?
Generally the glitches are minor, immersion destroying annoyances, but I've encountered a few and had about 3 game crashes, most often during loading screens, with the patch and with the game installed. I love New Vegas but there are still many, many bugs. The companion Boone sometimes decides he wants to use a machete against a Deathclaw or impale himself using his scoped rifle.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I dont get it, i have one had one major problem with vegas. Its never froze on me, never wiped my saves or anything. I just cant do EDEs quest.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
From reading that, I'll speculate that 90% of the problems are either holdovers from Fallout 3 or the fact that you weren't playing the PC version.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
I find it funny that everyone complains about New Vegas. I wonder how many people can think back to previous Fallout games and remember how buggy they where. Fallout wasn't exactly the most stable PC game released. Fallout 2 had a patch that destroyed your save games; If you never got the patch you couldn't complete the game. Fallout Tactics was probably the least buggy of the systems, but it wasn't exactly perfectly stable. Fallout 3 wasn't bug free, but it was the most stable of the series.
The difference is that those games had an acceptable amount of bugs.
I expect a good amount of glitches (maybe even a game breaking; start again type) in any large open world game. Fallout 3 and San Andreas are a couple of my all time favorite games and they are a couple of the all time glitchiest. Mind you I didn't get all the DLC for Fallout 3 but they can't touch Fallout NV in pure brokenness. Only maybe Big Mother Truckers was worse but there were only so many things that could go wrong with that title.

I had most of the same problems Russ had on a completely different platform. I also had the Fly me to the Mood quest lock on me, slideshow framerates, and countless other problems like crashing to the XMB and disappearing companions.

I have never gotten a console game that was this buggy; and honestly, I can only think of one PC game that was just as bad. I too feel a little ripped off that they charged me full price for it. They should've given it to us for free as we technically did their beta testing for them.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
OniaPL said:
However, that sounds rather strange. At a certain point, both NCR and the Legion will send you a message which tells you that they will cut all ties with you if you help others. Don't say you weren't warned, unless there was a bug of some sort.
I vote bug. I was working with NCR some more when I was randomly told that I had failed the quest to go meet with Caesar, and that his Legion would now be hostile towards me. It was only when I was asked by NCR to
kill Mr. House
which also put me on the road towards finishing a quest for Yes-Man did I get a new quest called "Don't Tread on the Bear!" which basically said "If you work for Yes-Man any further, NCR will hate you."

So yeah. Assuming Caesar's Legion does have such a "quest" as well, I never got it or the warning. My reaction was "good riddance" though as I was planning on killing them all anyway.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I played the PC version, aside from the odd clipping issue, it worked fine, I also completed it in 60 hours.

Although technically, at 60 hours I got bored of all the stupid shit (Why do they make you blow up half the goddamn factions I like, Mr House (The only side I saw as a viable, non-dick-riddled option), BOS is BEST!).

I then cheated, killed house (Via a bug, lol!) and took it for myself. Pretty lame ending for 60+ hours of work even then.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
mjc0961 said:
OniaPL said:
However, that sounds rather strange. At a certain point, both NCR and the Legion will send you a message which tells you that they will cut all ties with you if you help others. Don't say you weren't warned, unless there was a bug of some sort.
I vote bug. I was working with NCR some more when I was randomly told that I had failed the quest to go meet with Caesar, and that his Legion would now be hostile towards me. It was only when I was asked by NCR to
kill Mr. House
which also put me on the road towards finishing a quest for Yes-Man did I get a new quest called "Don't Tread on the Bear!" which basically said "If you work for Yes-Man any further, NCR will hate you."

So yeah. Assuming Caesar's Legion does have such a "quest" as well, I never got it or the warning. My reaction was "good riddance" though as I was planning on killing them all anyway.
Yes, Legion has such a quest. I got both in time, and failed 'em both when I took Vegas formyself. Too bad I couldn't play the afterparty.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Christ, this article reads like the QA report from hell. Isn't it a known fact by this point that Obsidian is incapable of putting out a game that actually works without needing to be patched? Seriously, this is insane. The sheer number of glitches, bugs, and all-out console freezes is completely unacceptable. Why on Earth would you pay full price for this game? I don't care how good it is when it actually works. The expectation that you can buy a product that simply doesn't work and this is considered normal is unbelievable to me, especially when it doesn't work to this magnitude.

"Oh but they put out patches to fix it." That's nice. And what about the time between when you bought the game and when they patched it so it actually works? You enjoying that coaster you just paid $60 for? And what about the people who can't take their consoles online, or don't want to? Don't give me any crap about "everybody has an Internet connection so it doesn't matter". It's the principle of the thing. The game is supposed to work out of the box. It's a single-player game; it shouldn't require an Internet connection plus two months waiting for a patch.

I don't expect a perfectly pristine bug-free experience, especially with a game of this level of complexity. What I do expect is to be able to get through the main campaign without my console freezing several dozen times. This game was clearly not ready to be shipped. Tiny bugs slipping through the cracks is one thing. This is just shoddy development, rushed testing and kicking the product out the door before it's finished, and it is inexcusable. Period.

I will personally never purchase any game with Obsidian's name on it, especially if it was just released.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
There just seems to be no logic to the game crashing or glitching. I'm on the PS3 and sometimes I can play for 6-7 hours straight with no problems and barely a drop in frame rate. Other times, like the endgame for me, was a crash every 20 minutes which meant a hard reset of the PS3 - something I don't like doing coz it's getting old now. Oh and my quest with ED-E is broken as the little fucker shoots me every time I go back to Primm.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Altogether, doing everything you've done several times, I've had only about 6 crashes. I have it for ps3 btw.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
SaintWaldo said:
Reading this makes me think Russ never played a 90s era PC CD-ROM game. That's not exactly the standard a locked-down console title should be compared too, which is of course the fuel for the article. But, still, I can't think of a console game, even back to the PS1, that didn't have some freeze issue or crash or even just lock up. Not one. Let's not even get started on PC releases since THE BEGINNING OF MAGNETIC MEDIA.

I'm not saying Russ is wrong or that F3:NV didn't deserve some ribbing for meeting content expectations so well while still dropping the ball on completeness in the "smooth ride" area. I'm saying that, compared to Arkham Asylum (which flat melted one of my PS3s), or GTAIV, or RDR, or even Fallout 3 itself, F3:NV only seemed marginally buggier than the _current_ norm. Given the size of the studio, which everyone acknowledges, couldn't they get a lot more slack considering the quality that does exist and the fact that they have come through and delivered in a way that many companies never did or ever will? They weren't guilty, to my knowledge, of the kind of hubris that regularly spurts from, say, Valve or Epic or the like.

For that, crashes and all, I give 'em a big pass. I hope they get to do another Fallout. I'm pretty much positive it will still kick ass on the substantials. I'm also sure that many will find a way to locally calibrate and discover a metric that proves it's shit.

C'est la vie, ceci est guerre, telle est amour, rien est juste.
Only 7 posts in. *thumbs up*