289: What Happens in New Vegas

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Vegas is an alright game. Its the bugs that ruin it all for me, not the graphics. If it had no bugs, it would be my favourite game of 2010. Still like it, since I'm playing it all over again and attempting to be all evil as hell and failing for some reason?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I just feel luckier every time I see threads/stories like this.
XBOX 360, Fallout NV: Played time 50+ hours.

Annoying bugs 3.
Crashes 0.
Quest glitches 0.

General Fun: 9/10

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
My 360 version of the game is so glitchy and broken that I'm probably an hour away from finishing it, but it stutters so badly I can't go anywhere. Go through a door, that's a five minute load screen. Go into VATS? 50% chance of my game locking up. Every time I do something nice for the NCR, a random squad of them runs around a corner and attacks me so I have to defend myself. The NCR thinks I am a psychopath.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I think Russ has the worst luck in the world... I had the 360 version on release day and didn't experience any of that beta-trash. I know the bugs varied per-person, per-playthrough, but still... wow... It almost looks exaggerated

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
I have the 360 version, and mine's only crashed once in my 50 hours of playing so far. There haven't been any quest-related bugs, either. Actually, my biggest gripe is that the loading times are so long.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Mechsoap said:
Strange, i only experienced 1 crash doing exactly the same thing as what stood in the article. Though i had it for the PC so that could be what made a difference.
Same with me...except I was on the 360 version. And only one crash....but it did frezze up now and then, but I think that has more to do with the face it was 40 degrees and we only had a tiny fan to cool the xbox.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
100+ hours on the Xbox and I have come across none of the problems people seem to moan about and I'm using an original arcade 360.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
saregos said:
It's possible you were being attacked because you had the audacity to put on Power Armor... If you wear the brotherhood power armor NCR will shoot on sight. No matter how much they might like you, and no matter if they have an alliance w/ the Brotherhood or not.
Hmm they won't on my campaign and I even brought veronica

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
Played the game on an Xbox360 Elite (the older versions) for about 100 hours and only had 3, maybe 4 crashes.

I'm thinking that your XBHD was full and the cache needed clearing.

Hardly the fault of the developers.

Fioyl

Feb 19, 2009
I played on the 360 and had none of these problems. However, if you're playing a game like Fallout, not having backup saves is asinine.

tman_au

Mar 30, 2009
Russ, try playing it on PC. I've done in excess of 100+ hrs and encountered only the odd clipping issue and a few minor bugs along the way.

My gripe is the vaults felt way too few and generic and there is obviously some additional content that was half finished or deliberately left out which i'm sure we'll be slogged dollars for in the near future.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I honestly did not expect a console version of a game to be so unstable. Without any mods, I would only get one crash in two days and I played about 10 hours a day (don't judge me, I use games to procrastinate) on my pc.

Dice Warwick

Nov 29, 2010
one annoying thing was that I knew I wasted a lot of time doing was; unless you already knew who not to talk to, you will be unable to start two of your companion quests. I currently don't have access to X-box live (the router at my house hates me, and I need to take my system to an X-box live friendly place so I can update my games) so if I talk to some people, two of my companions will not start their quest.

the annoying part about this is that if the people making "New Vegas" decided to wait a month so that they can Debug the game, they would have come out with the best game of the year, outshining their competitors by less then a mile. but they didn't, and people can easaly see the shotty finish.

BTW I'm still mad about how Obsidian lied about how the NCA and Cecars legion were politacly hard choices. Insted they gave us the NCA; no different from our military, along with it's crappy leaders far from danger. And Cecars Legion; a rape them all army, who enslaves women, and crucify anybody who looks at them wrong. ya, it's a hard choice to pick who you like, that is if I was a sociopath with no real understanding between right and wrong.

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
Russ Pitts said:
Russ Pitts is on a "bug hunt" in Fallout: New Vegas.
I've found the bugs when the creatures get stuck in the landscape quite a few times. I've not had any crashes with it yet *knocks on the desk* but then I am only Level 6 and slowly making my way around the areas south of Primm.

Playing games like this on my girlfriend's brother's X360 probably makes me look like a bit of a cheapskate, doesn't it?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Wow, I'm amazed. I have had a few CTD's on PC but otherwise it's been absolutely fine. Sorry to hear you've had such a shitty time of it.

Christopher Bryer

Jan 14, 2011
ill just say this....New Vegas is not worth buying brand new... get it used.....Or you can just do wha ti did.. Get terribly disappointed playing New Vegas, feel like shit for pre-ordering it, giveint to one of your friends cuz you cant even stand looking at the game, go to a eb and buy Oblivion Game of the Year for 25$ and play the shit out of that till skyrim comes out

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Wow.

Glad I play the PC version. I'm told it had its bugs too, and a lot of them are clearly supposed to be endemic to the entire game regardless of platform, but I just did not have these kinds of problems.

On rare occasions, I would see a critter stuck on a railroad track. Aw, it caught its widdle footy onna split-up tie. *BAM* Yay free XP!

I NEVER had a hard crash happen. Ever. Before or after the "Big Patch". With or without running tons of mods (which I currently do).

"Save Often, Save Well" has been my gaming creed for RPGs since the '80s. I rarely needed to backtrack more than a couple saves to deal with the worst plot-advancement issues. Though I DID get locked into fighting for Yes Man when I WANTED to fight for the NCR, because I ignored the flavor text preceding a particular mission that said "do this and you're locked in". As a result, I ran the anti-assassination mission for NCR, and succeeded, but still couldn't launch their side of the Hoover Dam battle. With the Big Patch, of course, you now get a popup telling you flat-out that continuing to work for Faction A will turn Faction B entirely against you...

So, yeah. Played, enjoyed, sorry you didn't...try a PC next time. -;)

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I suffered 0 crashes from my 100+ hours of New Vegas, my Xbox froze a few time but that happens after I've played too long anyway. Also the starting quest is a bit misleading, you want to be at least level 3 before you can do it (to get the necessary skill checks if you want dynamite/armor/help), also I did experience occasional odd clipping, but after the patching I had severely less issues, I did have occasional issues with quests (but no missing NPCs), as far as Karma it has little effect on gameplay now, I've actually farmed NCR guys for loot to sell without losing rep (Sneak attacks). Also the game making you side with one faction isn't as bad as you make it out to be, why hell at the end of the game I had a robot army (No Gods, No Masters). overall this article just seems whiny...