South Korea's Giant Robot Statue to Dwarf Japan's

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
South Korea's Giant Robot Statue to Dwarf Japan's

Things are getting a bit heated in the East Asian contest to see which country can build the giant-est giant robot in all the land, as South Korea has unveiled plans to build a 364 foot tall robot.

Building gigantic statues of fictional giant robot seems to be all the rage in East Asia these days. Japan has done it twice now in a single year, with its life-size Tetsujin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92322-Japan-Finishes-Life-Size-Gundam] in Kobe, but South Korea is now trying to one-up Japan at its own giant robot building game with the announcement of plans to erect an absolutely colossal giant robot in the city of Incheon.

The statue will be of Taekwon V, known stateside as Voltar the Invincible, and will stand some 364 feet tall, making it not only much bigger than the 59 and 60 foot statues in Japan, but roughly three times as tall as the Statue of Liberty itself. Giant robots are more important than freedom and liberty. I think that's the message that's being sent here.

The robot will be erected in the middle of something called Robot Land [http://www.robotland.or.kr/], a theme park in Incheon that's entirely devoted to everything and anything that has to do with robots. "Fun & Fantasy with Robot" is the English motto for the place, which should serve no doubt as the place where the robot uprising will begin when it opens to the public, along with its giant mascot, in 2013.

I for one am glad to see countries competing to build the biggest robot statues. Better that than a nuclear arms race, I say. "Build giant robot statues, not bombs," a new rallying cry for peace in the 21st century.

[Via Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5354509/koreas-massive-364+foot-taekwon-v-statue-will-crush-puny-humans]]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dude.

DUDE.

DUDE.

We're falling behind! I demand that we build a 380-foot-tall Megas XLR, stat!

Also, this seems like a good time to promote the most awesome usergroup ever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Mecha-Fans].

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
This like that South Park-Episode, where they start building a ladder to heaven, and then the Japanese start building one as well, only their's reaches out into space, while Cartman's ladder is only a few meters tall.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dude.

DUDE.

DUDE.

Damn you, stealing my comments!

But he is right! We must!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
No, no, no, you're thinking too small! We must build a giant robot on the moon!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dude.

DUDE.

DUDE.

This.
but then again, the giant robots of today don't exactly.. well.. DO much.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Why do I get this funny feeling within the next 10 years we will all be stuck in some wierd giant robot fighting anime

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dude.

DUDE.

DUDE.

Screw that, we need a 400 foot Cylon Centurion!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dude.

DUDE.

DUDE.

I second this, we need the best giant robot from New Jersey. Why is he cooler than any other mech? He blew up the DMV with it, sorry did wing zero do that? No? MEGAS XLR wins.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
North Korea? The people who were furiously building Nuclear Missiles are now building Giant Robots? I'm slightly worried...

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
OH...

MY...

GIANT ROBOT!

If countries keep making giant robots I'm sure the alien invasion will be halted, and all the world will rejoice.

Now all we need to do is...Make them move, and defend the world from any threat that comes enevertably with robots! XD