Capcom Unveils Okamiden Gameplay Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Capcom Unveils Okamiden Gameplay Trailer

Okamiden's debut trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94429-Okamiden-Debut-Trailer-Shows-Adorable-Wolf-Goddess] explicitly demonstrated the handheld sequel's adorable baby wolf quotient, but did little to explain the gameplay. Capcom's latest clip hopes to amend that issue.

Through a melange of stylized sumi-e environmental effects, fans of the original Okami can clearly see that this sequel takes the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" route. Aside from the introduction of stylus-controlled brush strokes, it seems that Okamiden will further extend the series' reputation as "like The Legend of Zelda, but with a wolf."

No solid release date has been revealed for Okamiden outside of a nebulous "coming in 2010." We expect more solid information -- and cutesypoo baby wolf action -- from the Tokyo Game Show, scheduled to kick off on September 24.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well ain't this a purdy lil' trailer!

Earnest Cavalli said:
and cutesypoo baby wolf action
Cutesypoo? How could you possibly put that up? I'd shoot myself if I even thought about typing it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Awww lookit her bound along. So cute.

It's looking pretty awesome for a DS game, actually.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
WOW! I mean just wow! Capcom just keeps surprising me.

The graphical capability of this is astounding, not to mention I love how they utilize the Stylus. And the gameplay is colorful and vast and makes me feel like purchasing a DS just to play it.

Damnit, Nintendo. Take more notes from Capcom. They're doing the DS proper justice with this game. And if it turns out to be a great game, then I'll be even more impressed.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Damnit, Nintendo. Take more notes from Capcom. They're doing the DS proper justice with this game. And if it turns out to be a great game, then I'll be even more impressed.
I'd point out, again, that Nintendo does not need any note-taking considering Mario Kart DS was the best selling DS game of 2008, 3 years after its release, but I think I've beaten that particular horse to death.

Anyway I was a bit confused as to why people wouldn't be sure of the gameplay. I was just figuring it'd be a lot like the first Okami only smaller and perhaps with an added feature or two to take advantage of the DS' hardware.

And that's pretty much what it looks like, which is awesome.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:
I'd point out, again, that Nintendo does not need any note-taking considering Mario Kart DS was the best selling DS game of 2008, 3 years after its release, but I think I've beaten that particular horse to death.

Anyway I was a bit confused as to why people wouldn't be sure of the gameplay. I was just figuring it'd be a lot like the first Okami only smaller and perhaps with an added feature or two to take advantage of the DS' hardware.

And that's pretty much what it looks like, which is awesome.
Hey, that's just in my opinion. Mario Kart didn't make me want to buy a DS. This does. That just shows how much I enjoy Capcom's games.

In fact, I think they're doing more for the industry than any game company at this point.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Hey, that's just in my opinion. Mario Kart didn't make me want to buy a DS. This does. That just shows how much I enjoy Capcom's games.
Well fair enough. I'm just pointing out what's worked. And really in all honesty I hope this game sells extremely well because as I said in an earlier topic about it I want to get it, and also the DS feels like one of those platforms where you should be able to experiment and still have a commerical success.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
I guess this is good news. I mean it's great that they're making a sequel to such a good game, I just hope people get off their ass and pay attention to it this time around.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
I guess this is good news. I mean it's great that they're making a sequel to such a good game, I just hope people get off their ass and pay attention to it this time around.
The DS is the most popular handheld system we've ever seen. It's currently laughing at the mere 50 million PS2s sold (hell, it's laughing at the Wii's sales as well), so there is a very large market. It should do well, hopefully well enough to get another game.

Also, since this is being made for a handheld, the budget is probably a lot less than the PS2 version, so it doesn't have to be a complete blockbuster to be successful.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
randommaster said:
Ghost8585 said:
The DS is the most popular handheld system we've ever seen. It's currently laughing at the mere 50 million PS2s sold (hell, it's laughing at the Wii's sales as well), so there is a very large market. It should do well, hopefully well enough to get another game.

Also, since this is being made for a handheld, the budget is probably a lot less than the PS2 version, so it doesn't have to be a complete blockbuster to be successful.
I know, I know. It definitely looks like it will sell better this time around but even when Okami was re-released on the Wii (which like the DS seems like a natural, due to its control scheme.) it still didn't sell well. But lets hope for all the best ^_^ By the way, does anyone know if anyone from Clover Studios is behind this?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Hey, give Mr. Freeman a rest or he'll never be able to put in work for HL:Ep 3!
Ghost8585 said:
randommaster said:
Ghost8585 said:

I know, I know. It definitely looks like it will sell better this time around but even when Okami was re-released on the Wii (which like the DS seems like a natural, due to its control scheme.) it still didn't sell well. But lets hope for all the best ^_^ By the way, does anyone know if anyone from Clover Studios is behind this?
Well, that was a remake, where this is an entirely new game. Also, the Wii controls aren't that natural. It's like using a brush that
s ten feet long. The stylus is much better for strokes than the Wiimote will ever be, especially when you consider that there have already been several games that have required you to draw fairly complex patterns throughout the game.

Also, the DS crowd is less hardcore than the PS2 crowd and less casual than the WII crowd, so the game fits in nicely. If Capcom's smart they'll market it better this time , too.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's looking pretty awesome for a DS game, actually.
Seriously, this just might be the best looking game on the DS yet. Not that there's not any good-looking DS games out there already...

And Chibiterasu gets my vote for cutest video game protagonist. Who's a cute little celestial doggie? You are, you are!

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
randommaster said:
Hey, give Mr. Freeman a rest or he'll never be able to put in work for HL:Ep 3!
Ghost8585 said:
randommaster said:
Ghost8585 said:

Well, that was a remake, where this is an entirely new game. Also, the Wii controls aren't that natural. It's like using a brush that
s ten feet long. The stylus is much better for strokes than the Wiimote will ever be, especially when you consider that there have already been several games that have required you to draw fairly complex patterns throughout the game.

Also, the DS crowd is less hardcore than the PS2 crowd and less casual than the WII crowd, so the game fits in nicely. If Capcom's smart they'll market it better this time , too.
Lets hope so. Even if I have a PSP I want this game to sell well. It definitely deserves it!

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Well ain't this a purdy lil' trailer!

Earnest Cavalli said:
and cutesypoo baby wolf action
Cutesypoo? How could you possibly put that up? I'd shoot myself if I even thought about typing it.
It's almost onomatopoeia (or, at least, that's the closest approximation one can make to a word that, in and of itself, expresses its own meaning). You come up with a more apropos word for that wolf and I'll use it instead.

Plus, there's no part of my psyche that feels threatened by words that are, for lack of any other word, cutesypoo.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
I actually hope capcom takes notes from Nintendo. I think if they borrow from the Zelda controls on DS this game could work exceptionally well, I am looking forward to it.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I love how when you dismember an enemy, effectively cutting him/her in half, it's not blood or gore but flowers that come out. Boy will the kids who play this be disappointed when they cut little Timmy or little Jenny in half to get a rose or two.

But despite that I'd still want to play this game because it has an absolutely adorable little puppy in it! Awww... Cute little puppy... <3

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
[The following post will not include the phrase "Aw, cute! A puppy!"]
Aw, cute! A puppy!
Damn! Well, it's not my fault it's friggen so cute.
It looks very good so far but I'm still on my toes on this game. Looks can be deceiving.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
This is looking cooler by the second. Seeing this, I'm beginning to wonder which developer pushes the DS's hardware more, between Capcom and Square-Enix.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Magnatek said:
This is looking cooler by the second. Seeing this, I'm beginning to wonder which developer pushes the DS's hardware more, between Capcom and Square-Enix.
"fingers crossed for graphical arms race"

This looks bloody awesome. I really want this, but 2010 in Japan means even longer here in the UK (like really late 2010 or early 2011, essentially I've got a wait). Even that or I learn Japanese

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
Awwwwrrr <3 Deffinitly a cute lil' furball ^^

Wonder how small the sidekick is going to be this time, tho :p