Pirate Bay Purchaser Has Property Seized

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pirate Bay Purchaser Has Property Seized

The planned sale of The Pirate Bay to Global Gaming Factory appears to be all but scuttled as Swedish tax authorities have begun repossessing CEO Hans Pandeya's property over unpaid tax bills.

Global Gaming Factory's plan to buy The Pirate Bay has had a certain aura of "iffiness" to it ever since it was approved [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92784-The-Pirate-Bay-Sells-Out] by a handful of shareholders in late August it was revealed that most investors had actually pulled out, although GGF CEO Hans Pandeya said he'd cover the cost of the purchase with his own shares.

That option isn't looking very likely right now, however, as Pandeya appears to be unable to cover his own personal debts. Swedish tax authorities have seized his car, a "rather nice" BMW 745iA, along with a Harley Davidson motorcycle, as a result of his failure to pay an outstanding tax debt of over $110,000.

And that wasn't the end of it: The authorities were unable to track down any bank accounts but, thanks to an anonymous tip, they did stumble upon the "luxury boat" he had docked at the Royal Motorboat Club in Stockholm. Pandeya has two months to pay the tab or the boat, valued at roughly $62,000, will be sold at auction.

Unfortunately for Pandeya, his financial woes don't end with the Swedish government: He's also being sued by a former GGF board member who claims the beleaguered CEO owes him $840,000.

It's possible that Pandeya's personal financial difficulties won't affect GGF's purchase of The Pirate Bay. Given the shady nature of the deal thus far and the fact that he's guaranteed the deal with his own money, however, I very much doubt it.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/tip-off-sees-bayliffs-sail-off-in-pirate-bay-buyers-boat-090908/]

(photo [http://www.realtid.se/ArticlePages/200909/07/20090907144835_Realtid783/20090907144835_Realtid783.dbp.asp])

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
How do you owe that much in taxes? And why would you want to buy a website that is illegal?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I pretty much figured this wouldn't work out, but I had no idea it was going to turn this messy before all was said and done. Talk about a catastrophe right out of the gate.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Seems that The Pirate Bay is going down in flames. Which is good, because then pirating sites out there will get the message that you can't outrun the law forever. THE MAN WILL BRING YOU DOWN!

But seriously, I see this scandal-clad ending as a fitting one. Pay your taxes, kiddos!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Wanker.

So all those protests over the nobility of the cause were just smokescreens, I guess. He really was a thief and a liar the whole time.

I say again; wanker.

-- Steve

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So the Pirate bay was being bought buy a Tax evading wannabe pirate?

How very hilarious. I can see at some point in the future a shady far eastern or eastern european group simply taking control of TPB once it's operators have officially switched it off (assuming they ever do). It's too well established (and profitable) to just disappear regardless of what the Swedish legal sytem might like.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
I see his delusions weren't limited to thinking Pirate Bay could function as a legitimate file sharing site.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
If the TPB owners got their 8 mililon, perhaps they could start to bribe judges or have juries consisting completely of people on their paychecks too.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
So a thief with pirate delusions wants to buy the biggest pirate site out there? Then turn it into a legit business... of course, then according to his taxes his income didn't increase at all.

Why is it that this guy loses his car, motorcycle, and boat, while American politicians can pay their "forgotten" taxes and that's it?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
oppp7 said:
How do you owe that much in taxes? And why would you want to buy a website that is illegal?
The site itself is not illegal, in fact, the function of the site is perfectly legit. However, the use of that function is dubious, and considering the name of it, probably intentional. The Pirate Bay is not illegal, and therefore can be purchased. Why you would amidst all the chaos though, I have no idea.

I still don't have any pity for the guy. He was an asshat when he was winning, and it makes me smile to watch him simmer in his own ashes now that he's losing. It's no big win against piracy, but at least one asshole is now a hobo.