Apple Disses DS and PSP at iPod Event

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Apple Disses DS and PSP at iPod Event

Apple is extremely confident in the iPhone and iPod Touch's capabilities as a gaming platform, so much that the company did something at today's iPod event that it has yet to before: pan its competition in the DS and PSP.

Apple rolled out [http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/live-from-apples-its-only-rock-and-roll-event/] a whole batch of music-oriented products today, including new iPod Nanos, iPod Touches and new versions of the iPhone/iPod Touch firmware and the iTunes music player. And as the company has done regularly in the past year or so, it touted its handheld devices' capabilities as legitimate platforms for gaming.

What it did do differently this time compared to every other time, however, was directly criticize its competition. Sounds like Apple really is turning into a gaming company. What's next, Steve Jobs coming on stage with tattoos of logos [http://i30.tinypic.com/2ij3q1d.jpg] on his arms?

"And people are starting to see what a great gaming device this is," Apple's Phil Schiller declared while slides of the DS and PSP were displayed on screen. "When you think about the companies that came before us... when you played those other systems, they seemed so cool, but now when you look at them, they don't stack up against the iPod Touch."

Apple outlined four things that make the PSP and DS worse for gaming: "No Multi-Touch user interface. Games are expensive. No App Store. No iPod." Then they displayed some images of DS and PSP games with their comparatively hefty price tags, an unsightly picture of a GameStop store shelf (which might be more of an insult to GameStop, really) and a chart showing how the iPhone's 21,1878 available games trumps the 3,680 on DS and 607 on PSP.

After that, it was onto the games. Ubisoft showed off Assassin's Creed 2 (you can import your own photos into the game for wanted posters), EA had Madden and Gameloft debuted Nova, a Halo-inspired FPS with some seriously impressive graphics.

If anything might qualify the iPhone OS as a legitimate platform for games right now, it is probably the technology. I recently got my hands on Gameloft's September lineup for iPhone, and the graphics are what consistently impressed me.

The only problem is that of all the titles I played, from the Earthworm Jim remake to the Soul Calibur-inspired Blades of Fury and the surprisingly fun Diablo-clone Dungeon Hunter, most of these games are either simply iPhone-ized versions of other successful games or just straight up remakes. They look great and more often than not play more than well enough, but there is a sense of a lack of originality. Perhaps that's what the indie iPhone development scene is for. In any case, if I were Apple I wouldn't declare superiority with such ease. Hubris doesn't get you very far in this business.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
When you get the killer games that both the DS and PSP have, then you can start smack talking Apple.Until then, go back in your corner and hug your little Iphone.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
YOU BASTARDS!
Touch screen works for DS.
DSi and PSPGo have online stores.
Apple gouges its prices for EVERYTHING. Plus the games on real platforms are actually good.
PSP has music. Also, that is like me bitching about my 360 doesn't have a zune.
Fucking cocky morons.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
You mean there's a company saying that it's better than other companies trying to sell a similar device?

Color me shocked and surprised. /sarcasm

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, but does the iPhone have Professor Layton series, Ace Attorney series, The World Ends with You and the myriad of other DS games I've enjoyed which seem to be exclusive to the console?

Does it come with all those great PSP exclusive games I'm sure someone can name but I can't because I don't own one?

I didn't think so.

Great, Apple have made their iPhone into a gaming console. Good for them. Still not going to buy one though because I already have a fully functional Blackberry and a fully functional DS.

Edit: Dunno how many iPhones have been sold worldwide, but the DS has sold over 107 million units as of the end of June this year. Anyone got matching numbers for the PSP/iPhones?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes the Ipod/iphone is a fine gaming platform, but because your handheld is so limited in terms of controls you make it harder to play many games.

Sorry Earthworm Jim will never be a good idea on a touch screen it needs a controller which could be done via an attachment buuut that wont happen because they upgrade their devices every year leaving attachments in the pile of "obsolete in next years model" much like the PSPs music remote and the DS's GBA slot.

The Ipod/Iphone is a fine gamign platform but you're not going to be beating a handheld that has a controller built into it.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Halfbreed13 said:
Touch screen works for DS.
DSi and PSPGo have online stores.
Apple gouges its prices for EVERYTHING. Plus the games on real platforms are actually good.
PSP has music. Also, that is like me bitching about my 360 doesn't have a zune.
Fucking cocky morons.
The DSi is supposed to support a music function as well, I dont know anything about it though.

That being said, I think its a little arrogant of Apple to state that theirs is better when they havent done a whole lot of research. As Halfbreed states, they have nothing really truly unique to their system.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
In all seriousness, they seem to have a great line up. But I doubt it will be better than the DS or PSP

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
It has a touch screen.
So does the DS
It has an online store
So does PSPGo (soon) and DSi (again, soon)
It has a lot of games
Most of which are not worth the download

Plus the iPhone/Touch doesn't even have any buttons, believe it or not, buttons are still needed by games, so until we have mind control for games, we will be using buttons. (Sorry NATAL)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
??????????

This is like watching Lions and Tigers fight, stripping down to your slacks, wrapping some steak round your neck and then poke them both with sticks while laughing manically. Apple, what the fuck is wrong with you?

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Apple outlined four things that make the PSP and DS worse for gaming: "No Multi-Touch user interface. Games are expensive. No App Store. No iPod."
As pointed out repeatedly...
DS touch Screen
More money for more content
CFW works on both
Both have music players.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Wow that's it? "The PSP and DS don't quite stack-up"? That was the best dis he could come-up with?

Now, I don't have anything against the iPhone as a gaming platform, but when your system is basically just the bottom half of the DS minus the D-Pad and Buttons... there's not much there to brag about.

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
While I'm happy that Apple's finally released a 160GB iPod (c'mon, if you love music, you know you're going to amass that many FLACs eventually), I predict that their venture into the gaming market will end up being a failure. Teenage girls \=\ gamers.

redjarman

Jan 29, 2009
No multi-touch? Whoop-de-fucking-doo. I'd rather have a solid controller with buttons than rub my fingers all over the screen, covering most of the action.
Online store? DSiWare. Some great games in there. And the PSPGo is going to be download ONLY.
Lots of games? Quality>Quantity. Nuff said.
Expensive? Not really, and the price tends to reflect the quality if only a little. I'd rather pay $40 for an rpg that will last at least 50 hours than pay $2 for a crappy Tetris ripoff.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
The iPod Touch has a better selection, but how many of those games stack up to those on the DS and PSP?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
You mean there's a company saying that it's better than other companies trying to sell a similar device?

Color me shocked and surprised. /sarcasm
What? Sarcasm on the INTERNET? That, sir, is not allowed. Agents will be at your house shortly to break your knees.

Keane Ng said:
A chart showing how the iPhone's 21,1878 available games trumps the 3,680 on DS and 607 on PSP.
I think there was a mistake with a decimal point somewhere. It's more like the iPhone has (211)878 games, because most of them are just remakes, and suck.

Maybe Apple's getting confident now that Steve Jobs is back.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
He forgot to mention the iphones newest feature that neither the PSP or DSi have...it explodes!
[HEADING=3]Now to be fair this is staged.[/HEADING]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RODLum5RfnI[/youtube]