Scientists Prove Your Brain Knows Things You Don't

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Scientists Prove Your Brain Knows Things You Don't

Have you ever tried to think of something that felt like it was on the tip of your tounge, but you just couldn't get it? It probably was right there on your hippocampus after all.

Neuroscientists from the University of California recently revealed some interesting results of a series of tests involving human memory capability. The results revealed that even while the brain is retrieving certain desired memories, it may not be communicating these memories to the conscious mind.

The tests were performed by showing images of faces paired with background scenes to volunteers. The volunteers were then shown the background scenes and had to properly match the correct face to each scene, which they were able to do two thirds of the time. The rest of the time, when the volunteers chose an incorrect match, eye movement analysis and functional magnetic resonance imaging of the volunteers' brain activity showed that the hippocampus was still retrieving memories that just didn't make it to consciousness.

Bridging the gap here would probably be the next step in human evolution. If we could tap into what our brains know that we, for some reason, don't, we could all be walking supercomputers. Most importantly, I would remember where all those hidden rooms were in Super Metroid that I had to backtrack to without using a map. But, on the other hand, it would probably be way too much knowledge unless we also knew how to filter out the useless junk. Last week, my brain decided to deposit Hungry Eyes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI4fzajz3Ok] in my head for a few days, a song I haven't heard in probably a decade. If random 80's songs are the memories I'm able to recall better, I think I would prefer to keep my mind blank.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5355935/scientists-prove-your-brain-still-contains-forgotten-memories]

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Theres something like this in an episode of House, he cant exactly remember something, or think of a diagnosis, but his subsoncsious sort of hints at it.

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
Now, to come up with the drug/nanotechnology to tap into these... and then devise a sorting algorithm... I doubt we'll see anything come of this for a loooong time. Still, it's always interesting.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
That puts a bit more credence to those bizarre memory improvement courses.

They go by the presumption that you don't actually forget anything to begin with (a faulty premise, insofar as I understand the science), and that the inability to recall it at will basically amounts to having a bad filing system...

Claims made about these courses include having perfect recall of the conversations of people around you that you weren't even paying attention to...

I can't decide if that's BS, or if it's actually plausible though.
This particular bit of information suggests it might actually be somewhat true.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Those of you who aren't mentats must be really excited. But I may be out of a job if the Baron finds out.

Feb 18, 2009
It really is quite frustrating that I still, after having played Super Metroid through several times, can´t remember where all those thrice-damned secret rooms were. Seems like I have to have a little...chat with my hippocampus. I bet he´s snickering behind my back (or brain) even as we speak.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I think this is old news. My brain loves keeping secrets.

In fact, I was gonna write something witty here, but my brain won't tell me what it is. Damnit.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
It really is quite frustrating that I still, after having played Super Metroid through several times, can´t remember where all those thrice-damned secret rooms were. Seems like I have to have a little...chat with my hippocampus. I bet he´s snickering behind my back (or brain) even as we speak.
I've done nothing man ! (past reference to dual personality).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I knew this already, it's based around how the memory works. We store the data in our brains but the "link" to that data gets erased over time or due to other reasons and so although it is still there we cannot remember it.

It's more complex than that but that's the simplest way to describe it.

Steelfists said:
Theres something like this in an episode of House, he cant exactly remember something, or think of a diagnosis, but his subsoncsious sort of hints at it.
Populus89 said:
In other words scientists discovered the subconscious.

AGAIN.
Actually the 'sub-conscious' does not really have any meaning and as such is not used by scientists.

eric_the_girl

Jul 20, 2009
I dunno, it'd be kind of inconvenient to remember everything ever... I mean, imagine you could remember everything right the way down to when you were 7 and did something dumb and embarrassing at school and relive it perfectly. Or every rejection you've ever had just as clear as the day you were rejected (and possibly just as painful)

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
I knew this already, it's based around how the memory works. We store the data in our brains but the "link" to that data gets erased over time or due to other reasons and so although it is still there we cannot remember it.

Steelfists said:
Populus89 said:

AGAIN.
Actually the 'sub-conscious' does not really have any meaning and as such is not used by scientists.
Damn scientists. Always making us look stupid

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Steelfists said:
Machines Are Us said:

Steelfists said:
Populus89 said:

AGAIN.
Damn scientists. Always making us look stupid
It's because scientists are always have to be so damn precise about everything, like how Pluto isn't considered a planet any more.

Although the things we think of as a sub-conscious exist, they are just a variation of the conscious or unconscious.

Feb 18, 2009
Random argument man said:
Enough with your futile deceptions! Now hold still, so that I may beat the crap out of you, unless you tell me where the missing energy tank is.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Enough with your futile deceptions! Now hold still, so that I may beat the crap out of you, unless you tell me where the missing energy tank is.
You hurt me...You hurt yourself!!!

Feb 18, 2009
You hurt me...You hurt yourself!!!
Hey, that´s right. So I have to hurt myself in order to get you. It worked in Fight Club, why wouldn´t it work now.

...Do you also get the feeling that we are somehow, I don´t know, derailing this thread?