Spending a Fortune to Save a Dollar

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Spending a Fortune to Save a Dollar

When your real-world budget gets tight, there's only one thing to do: Spend in-game money like crazy.

Read Full Article

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Great article as always!

Must. Go. Collect. More. Pre-War Money.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Hmm, its certainly an interesting way to look at this. I found in Bioshock though that I'd end up with the $500 limit even spending money on things like ammo, medkits, and Eve, even on normal and hard playthroughs. Fallout 3 and Oblivion I tend to be a penny pincher though, scavenging most of my equipment and ammo instead of actually buying it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Actually, now that you mention it, I have been decking out my Trotmobile in Steambot Chronicles more than I normally would. Being currently unemployed, this strategy could prove very useful and I'm glad you shared it.

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
Interesting article, I think I may take a few tips from it. Except, I rarely have any money anyway...

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Now I'm wondering if I should spend my vast mulitple gaming fortunes to help cope with penny pinching, but then again I wonder if by doing it will just increase the urge for me to buy real world things.......oh well.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
As mah grandpa always said "A penny saved is a penny wasted"

Think about it, if you lock up a load of money and promised never to even touch it for a very long time, in that time how is it REALLY different from if you just burned it?

By all means, save up for SOMETHING particular, but no game is going to land you in it at the last level demanding every single gold you could possibly have collected in the game, if you pass up every chance to spend it, you might as well have not picked up the gold at all.

I'd love it if in Bioshock 2 they could be really creative with a "bank" to deposit money with various perks only imagine the games that could be played on the player to get them to really think about their money.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
first time i played through fallout i was stone broke the entire time even though i searched everything, i always had no ammo and crappy weapons.
the second time i plyed through, it was on the same difficulty but i had so much ammo and money and sellables that i ended up with 5000 caps!
my advice; on the SPECIAL book, set luck on at least 7, it really makes a difference.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I should try playing Bioshock like that on Easy Mode. Maxed out weapons that I use constantly. I love one-sided fights.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Treblaine said:
As mah grandpa always said "A penny saved is a penny wasted"

Think about it, if you lock up a load of money and promised never to even touch it for a very long time, in that time how is it REALLY different from if you just burned it?

By all means, save up for SOMETHING particular, but no game is going to land you in it at the last level demanding every single gold you could possibly have collected in the game, if you pass up every chance to spend it, you might as well have not picked up the gold at all.
Sage words, indeed. And of course you're absolutely right. I know it's silly to hoard my money, I mean, it's in the game to be spent, after all. But I normally just can't bring myself to do it.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
You should see my stash in FO3. 150000+ caps and an arsenal to shame the enclave and brotherhood to shame.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Susan Arendt hoarded all the pre-war money in Fallout 3, too.
I did, too. At first, I was hoping someone would be interested in buying it at a high price, like scrap metal, and when I realized there wasn't I had grown found of my huge stack. I briefly considered spreading them all around my place but the game stacked them when dropped.

civver

May 15, 2009
Yep. Don't forget, the object of playing a game is to have fun. Winning and collecting everything is neat and all, but if the fun is gone from that, what's the point?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I horde like crazy, but not money.
I've got two of every outfit and weapon in Fallout 3, why two? So I allways have one at 100% and don't need to worry about "But I might need it later". Once I have two of everything I feel ok using the gatling lazer, a weapon whose weight made it counter to my looting. But since I have two regular and one unique I can just drop it if I find something I really want, yet can't carry.

I'm willing to waste money on stupid things but not items of any sort, in fact I waste money so I have more useless items. Again with Fallout 3, I collect every item that isn't a gnome or kitchen item.

Wasting money to hore items has only come in handy for me twice. First in Baldur's Gate TOB where I needed non-magical weapons to hurt a golem. Then second in Fallout 3 as cameras have great value in Broken Steel.

The Random One said:
I did, too. At first, I was hoping someone would be interested in buying it at a high price, like scrap metal, and when I realized there wasn't I had grown found of my huge stack. I briefly considered spreading them all around my place but the game stacked them when dropped.
My game crashed when I went through the trouble of dropping them one at a time, it would have been beautiful.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Constraints are a known catalyst for creativity. Sometimes the constraint consists of removing them.

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
The Random One said:
erm it's been awhile but I'm pretty sure someone did actually want the pre-war money?

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
interesting. athough im playing BioShock on easy setting currently. Its not that its hard its that the game tends to scare me in ways i never thought possible. I havnt died once, which is amazing, but I've almo decided to get the "max one track" and "fully upgrade 2 weapons" achevments. i actually have more adam than i do money.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Random One said:
I used it as Rock-It Launcher ammo. THAT'S the best way to use money- Explode heads with it!

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I almost never spend money in my games until I want to upgrade armor and weapons. Potions? Pfft. I'll just get them from random encounters.